Q40 support stand

Quest Metal Detectors Forum
Topics related to Quest metal detectors here, Off topic posts will be removed.
Quest Videos
Resurgam

Q40 support stand

Post by Resurgam » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:11 am

Whilst awaiting the arrival of my newly ordered Quest Q40 metal detector, I have been trying get up to speed on as much information concerning the machine as I can.

I see that one of our members has come up with a somewhat improved device to augment the existing support stand that is part of the machine's moulding. ::g

I initially contemplated the possibility of gluing something to the existing stand, or requesting Quest to produce clip-on extensions for it.
Last edited by Resurgam on Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Garrett ProPointer + MineLab Safari + Quest Q40, and loads of determination.

Mud Max

Re: Q40 support stand

Post by Mud Max » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:39 am

Just needs a slight modification of the arm cups.
Xp Deus 11" coil
Quest Q40 combo pack
Garrett 400i + Nel Tornado coil

Jedi Master button finder

Timmy 64

Post by Timmy 64 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:04 pm

Just a landyard around the handle of your MC and around your belt .so when you bend down push the MC away from you and go digging .by doing this you will not damage your handle .ps lve lost part use of my left hand give it a go see how you get on =P~

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:30 pm

A good tip 'Timmy64' which is also very useful when detecting in the surf/wet sand on beaches ::g Hope the 'belt' is still going strong ::g Best of luck - ss47
Arado 130 - Garrett Groundhog - Tesoro Eldorado - Fisher 1265X - Goldmax Power Makro Racer. Homemade Harness!

Midlifecyclist

Post by Midlifecyclist » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:42 pm

This was my attempt at a support stand. It worked ok on pasture but ploughed stoney terrain was a bit tricky. I'm trying to come up with another design that attaches to the flat bit at the back of the handle.

Quest Q40
Surf Pi
GP-Pointer

Resurgam

Post by Resurgam » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:27 am

I think that you have produced a superbly simple solution to what some of us see as a possible ongoing problem of resting the machine on the ground with such a small base on the present stand. I do think that I would be tempted to fit your stand to the shaft with the control unit perpendicular to the feet, rather than offset horizontally to one side. Is that plastic material brittle at all?

It will be interesting to see what you come up with for a slot-on design to slip onto the base of existing fitting.

In the meantime, I will probably use a lanyard of bungee to keep the machine off the ground; just as someone as suggested but of course I would prefer a to have an improved stand.

Chris ::g

Midlifecyclist

Post by Midlifecyclist » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:46 pm

Thanks Chris
I do think that I would be tempted to fit your stand to the shaft with the control unit perpendicular to the feet, rather than offset horizontally to one side. Is that plastic material brittle at all?
The stand can be moved quite quickly to any 90 degree position, by removing the arm cuff screw and sliding it off and then back on again 90 degrees the other way.

I fitted that way otherwise when you swing the detector the stand hits your leg.

The 5mm acrylic is quite brittle, but as a proof of concept it works ok and my laser cutter is happy cutting it :-)

The lanyard sounds an interesting idea, I may well try that.

Stuart
Quest Q40
Surf Pi
GP-Pointer

Resurgam

Post by Resurgam » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:28 pm

It was someone else on the forum who suggested the lanyard but I have been using two bungee cords interlinked and clipped to my belt just behind my left hip and run up my back, over my right shoulder, and then clipped to my Safari. It works quite well and allows the machine to float like a butterfly, ahead of me and rather than trying take the weight of the machine on my arm; I just gently press for it to hover close to the ground and easily sweep it before me.

Although the Q40 isn't as heavy as my Safari, a similar concept will keep it off the ground and out of the dirt as I recover targets. I have tried a purpose made bunge but found it a little restrictive for my prefered swing. I may try an EasySwing harness from Detectorbits, if Santa decides to bring me one! 8-| ;)

I was in B & Ms the other day and they were selling a 'Rolson 48" Elastic Strap' with heavy duty D clip rings on each end and that may just do the same job as my two interlinked bungee cords.

I still like the idea of an improved stand though!

Chris ::g

Norman_invader

Post by Norman_invader » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:36 pm

So having read 2 or 3 previous post's about home made detector stands I threw myself into the shed,
to see what I could come up with & after a couple of hours head scratching & delving into several odds&sods box's,
using a reflector bracket off a push bike seat-post, 2 A-shaped metal brackets & a few nut's & bolt's
I managed to make myself a fold-away Q40 stand,add some camo tape and hey presto !!!
Field tested & it works well keeping the control unit out of the dirt & off the ground.
:D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Quest Q40
Raptor coil
Chinese pinpointer

niceguyfrankie

Post by niceguyfrankie » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:13 am

Norman_invader wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:36 pm
So having read 2 or 3 previous post's about home made detector stands I threw myself into the shed,
to see what I could come up with & after a couple of hours head scratching & delving into several odds&sods box's,
using a reflector bracket off a push bike seat-post, 2 A-shaped metal brackets & a few nut's & bolt's
I managed to make myself a fold-away Q40 stand,add some camo tape and hey presto !!!
Field tested & it works well keeping the control unit out of the dirt & off the ground.
:D
That is superb, that is what the Q40 is crying out for, well done mate a fine job
Now can you make about 50 as we all want one lol
HH
Frank
Quest Q40 (blade coil)
Quest Wireless Headphones
Garrett Ace250 (Nel Hunter coil)
HD stainless steel sand scoop with long handle
Garrett Pro Pin pointer 2
Quest Diamond Digger
NCMD Registered

Norman_invader

Post by Norman_invader » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:27 am

Thanks frank,I haven't got a clue what the metal brackets real purpose was for but they work for the quest ,
::g HH
Quest Q40
Raptor coil
Chinese pinpointer

Resurgam

Post by Resurgam » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:32 pm

Lacking all the bibs n bobs that you used and desperate to keep my machine upright and out of the muck, I rummaged through my gun boxes and tool kits; coming up with this..........an old air rifle bi-pod, a short length of pica-tinny rail, and a roll of insulation tape. It may just fall apart next time out, but we shall see! ;)

Oops having problems with pic! Back soon.
BiPod.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Resurgam on Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Norman_invader

Post by Norman_invader » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:46 pm

The main component really is the tilting reflector bracket off a cycle,
If you can lay your hands on one then you're halfway there,I'm pretty sure any good diy store sells metal brackets that could be modified into legs to create the stand .
::g
Quest Q40
Raptor coil
Chinese pinpointer

Norman_invader

Post by Norman_invader » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:53 pm

Resurgam wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:32 pm
Lacking all the bib n bobs that you used and desperate to keep my machine upright and out of the muck, I rummaged through my gun boxes and tool kits; coming up with this..........an old air rifle bi-pod, a short length of pica-tinny rail, and a roll of insulation tape. It may just fall apart next time out, but we shall see! ;)

Oops having problems with pic! Back soon.

BiPod.JPG
That looks pretty good to me buddy !!! Would a jubilee clip work ? Replacing the tape.
::g
Quest Q40
Raptor coil
Chinese pinpointer

Resurgam

Post by Resurgam » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:00 pm

Perhaps double sided velcro bandage, cable ties, "or" jubilee clip! Will give it a run out at the weekend and see if the principle holds good. The Macro Racers have a purpose made bi-pod but I don't think one would fit the Q40!

Resurgam

Post by Resurgam » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:03 pm

They say that necessity is the mother of invention and it looks like we are all getting closer to a very good solution. Just a pity that the Chinese weren't ahead of us though! :(

Norman_invader

Post by Norman_invader » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:10 pm

Looks to me like it'll do the job intended very well,
Be interesting to see what anyone else come up with,
Well done Resurgam jobsa good'n ::g
Quest Q40
Raptor coil
Chinese pinpointer

niceguyfrankie

Post by niceguyfrankie » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:26 pm

I’ve ordered an iPhone stand that folds, was cheap so if doesn’t work I can just toss it in the bin lol
When it arrives I’ll upload a pic if any good although the bar has been set pretty high
Frank
Quest Q40 (blade coil)
Quest Diamond Digger
NCMD Registered

niceguyfrankie

Post by niceguyfrankie » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:02 am

niceguyfrankie wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:26 pm
I’ve ordered an iPhone stand that folds, was cheap so if doesn’t work I can just toss it in the bin lol
When it arrives I’ll upload a pic if any good although the bar has been set pretty high
Frank
actually I've ordered a camera mini tripod (Doh), I was looking at iPhone stands previously but moved onto something sturdier.
Quest Q40 (blade coil)
Quest Diamond Digger
NCMD Registered

Resurgam

Post by Resurgam » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:28 am

Fixing items to the shaft without damaging it is when things start to get a wee bit difficult. I was looking at pictures of the stand that is made for the round shaft of a Makro Racer and wondered if it could be adapted for the Q40.

Of course I would be happier if Quest would come up with a purpose made stand that is "perhaps" similar to the Makro Racer one. ::g

Return to “Quest Forum, Formerly Known as Deteknix”