Deteknix Headphones are there any bad points ????

Quest Metal Detectors Forum
Topics related to Quest metal detectors here, Off topic posts will be removed.
Quest Videos
targets

Deteknix Headphones are there any bad points ????

Post by targets »

before i shell out on the wifi model

' hammys how i love ya, how i love ya my dear old hammys '

mrix
Founder

Re: deteknix phones are there any bad points ????

Post by mrix »

Hello targets there was an early issue where some headphones switched them off after a certian amount of time but all has now been resolved on that front ::g
We have them for sale on the MDF Auction here - Deteknix Headphones
Cheers
mrix

Mega B

Post by Mega B »

The only downside that is holding me back is the battery life of the headphones of only 6 hours,they may go longer but to be on the safe side 6 hours has been suggested,only trouble is sometimes i can be out all day long and a very long way from the car so topping the battery up during lunchtime is a no go for me.

If the battery time was longer then i would have bought a set a long time ago,i agree that most folks do go back to the car for a bucket of tea at dinner time but do we really need to have to charge it all the time half way through the day ??? Deus headphones can go on for 20+ hours so why just 6 hours on these is a little short of a full days detecting.

The battery life may have improved over the months since the launch,not sure if any folks are getting a longer time duration.
A few machines that i use Nexus MP,Nexus SE,TDI Pro,Fisher TW-5 twin box,Equinox,Deus,T2,DFX,Arado120b,Mirage Pulse,Crossbow Pulse.

Smithfire

Post by Smithfire »

Cant speak for anybody else, but mine last at least ten hours!

Xterra 705 with 10 inch coil.

Great bir of kit

Clive

Mega B

Post by Mega B »

Smithfire wrote:Cant speak for anybody else, but mine last at least ten hours!

Xterra 705 with 10 inch coil.

Great bir of kit

Clive
Many thanks for that vital bit of information regarding the longer time duration,that may even persuade me to finally buy a set of these headphones ::g
A few machines that i use Nexus MP,Nexus SE,TDI Pro,Fisher TW-5 twin box,Equinox,Deus,T2,DFX,Arado120b,Mirage Pulse,Crossbow Pulse.

JBM

Post by JBM »

I had one of the first sets and fitted them to the FS2.

They are excellent value for money and only once in a while do they switch off.

Its not really a problem as at a press of a button they are back on.

I never detect these days for even 6 hours so they have have never run flat on me.

I do have a emergency pocket charger with me, but have never used it with this headset. ::g Jerry.

Mega B

Post by Mega B »

Finally decided to buy a pair of these headphones today,so will give them a try out on a few of my detectors,carry a battery bank for the Deus so if these headphones do need topping up then that wont be a problem.

targets

Post by targets »

got me a pair and i am impressed with the sturdy build quality ,and very well designed unilke the flimsy deus backphones that will break apart easy as so shoddy

manxmac

Post by manxmac »

Hi am I wrong in thinking that the detecnix headphones like all metal detecting headphones are specifically for detecting and operate at a certain frequency so they can pick up all signals.
So if you just use a pair of normal headphones you could be missing out on weaker signals.
At the minute on a well known auction site you can buy a pair of wireless headphones with rf transmitter for £35 and they give you another set of h phones free (over ear detecting looking ones)

What I am trying to say is why are md hphones so expensive.
Macro racer
garrett pinpointer

targets

Post by targets »

on their site it says 20-20,000Hzx

Fusion

Post by Fusion »

"am I wrong?"
Yes, if anything, regular hi-fi headphones will cover a wider frequency range than detecting-specific ones, as detectors only produce a rather limited range of frequencies, with a dynamic range that's less than typical music has.
"why are md hphones so expensive?"
Are they? There's some expensive hi-fi headphones out there. Some detectorists use the TDK WR700 'phones, they typically retail for about 70 pounds. The other favourite, the Tecknet Rappoo's were much cheaper, but were rather flimsy.

manxmac

Post by manxmac »

I just wanted to know if I was missing out by just using £20 rf wireless headphones. I suppose it's just what you want to spend
Thanks
Macro racer
garrett pinpointer

Fusion

Post by Fusion »

I'm guessing here, but you probably haven't read lots of the 'cordless headphone' threads on this Forum. So you need to know that the key feature that 'detecting phones' must have is low latency, the time lag between the signal going into the transmitter and it reaching your ears. If it's too long, detecting becomes annoying/difficult/tedious. 99% of the Bluetooth-based systems are unsuitable, they have lags of 100 - 300 msecs. Those TDK phones I mentioned are 125msec, some aptX codec set-ups can be 35msec, I think the Deteknix latency is stated as 60 msec.

There are non-digital sytems (regular FM radio transmission, and even infra-red might be workable) that have near-zero lag, but they may have side-effects, like background hiss, interference pickup, crackles & pops.

So you need to be careful when comparing various cordless set-ups.
Last edited by Fusion on Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

manxmac

Post by manxmac »

Thanks it's not so much the lag but the fainter signals that could be missed with cheaper headphones. But then when I look at the headphones that came with my new detector I think I might be wrong cause why would they sell a £500 detector with headphones that aren't going to do it justice.
I have a £20 set of rf wireless headphones and transmitter and their is no noticeable lag I was just unsure if the ohm(or what ever it is lol) range was a factor

Happy hunting
Macro racer
garrett pinpointer

targets

Post by targets »

yes there are bad points ,out on my first trip today with the wifi phones the TX battery packed up after 15 minutes even though it had been on charge all night! not sure if its the battery duff or due to the iffy magnetic charger contact , a check with the volt mater showed the TX battery totally dead .so its on charge again to see whats the problem ...

Mega B

Post by Mega B »

@targets,thanks for the info about the possible battery problem,mine are still wrapped up and cannot touch them till christmas day.But i will certainly look out for that possible problem.

targets

Post by targets »

the magnetic connection charger point is definately a bad design idea even with some tape round it to keep it connected it loses contact so you think its nicely charged after being on all nite but its flatish ,they should have used a mini USB like the headphones to charge the TX.this is a bad design error.
when its charging and has a good contact a red LED comes on ,but this goes out when it loses contact which is most of the time unless you have your finger on it to press it into contact

JBM

Post by JBM »

I agree that the magnetic connector is not the best idea, but it works OK.

If I place the headset and the transmitter on charge together using a mains plug for each unit the lights seem to go out at about the same time. ::g Jerry.

targets

Post by targets »

they are going over to the mini USB socket and ditching the magnetic charger plug as not so reliable ,new model will arive after xmas

Fusion

Post by Fusion »

It would possibly be better if they used the standard cylindrical power connectors, (like laptop ones, but usually 2 - 3.5mm diameter). Mini USB connectors are not designed for long life, I recall 1000 insertions is a nominal figure for their life..

liamnolan
Location: Hemswell, Lincolnshire. originally from Dublin, southern Ireland

Post by liamnolan »

I did a Product Review on these headphones a month ago for Searcher magazine. I am not a tekkie by any means and so my type of testing is simply getting out there in the fields and seeing how it all shapes up. I had no probs at all, used the GMP machine for most of the testing. Its a sturdy bit of kit and survived my 10 trips out in all weather, being squashed in with everything else, getting soaked, dragged on and off ...
The sound of the tones was spot on, clear as a bell and most of the testing was alongside a busy rail line, huge power lines overhead and two inquisitive old horses snorting away =)) I was hammering a certain spot where I found two sceattas 5M apart.
Magnetic charging point - weird design but after it fell off once I just made sure I did not knock it off whilst charging, easy enough really.
Comfort - I am used to either Deus backphones or full cup headphones and these are designed to sit ON the ear. It just did not feel "right" until I stuck a cap over them to stop any slight slippage.
My set never switched off or ran out of juice, though I charged them up after three trips out, not sure of the hours used by then.
I was certainly impressed, I felt very confident that I was not missing any signals. Liam :;@
Deus, WSi's - In the end we will regret the chances we didn't take, the relationships we were afraid to have and decisions we waited too long to make .. Spokesperson Irish Metal Detecting Society IMDS Vice President European Council for Metal Detecting

Euro Detector

Post by Euro Detector »

Hi all

I am considering buying a Deteknix wireless headphones set for my garrett Euro Ace, but in all honesty, I have no experience whatsoever with this brand and don't know if it's worth the money. I read good reviews on the forum for this piece of kit, but could someone let me know what truly sets it apart from other bluetooth wireless headphone sets out on the market? I mean, there are numerous other brands that sell Bluetooth headphones with a jack that would fit the Garrett, and they are often a lot cheaper (I saw the Deteknix one advertised for 90 pounds or so, and that is almost half the price of a brand new Euro Ace).

Does anybody also have experience with other bluetooth headsets? Thanks!
Euro Detector
XP Deus 3.2 with control unit, 11" coil, WS4 + XP MI-6 pinpointer
Metal detecting is like time travelling.

cornwalldavid

Post by cornwalldavid »

They dont run on Bluetooth. You are right there are cheaper alternatives but most either have poor sound quality with a background hiss or lag in the sound reaching the headphones.

JBM

Post by JBM »

My pal uses his on the television when his other half wants to nod off.

He says they are great and even better than the ones she purchased for the job. ::g Jerry.

Euro Detector

Post by Euro Detector »

Does anybody know if the MDF listing is also available for shipping to the Netherlands? It only seems to support UK shipping.

https://www.metaldetectingauction.com/l ... nes/103813" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Euro Detector

mrix
Founder

Post by mrix »

Hello Euro Detector, if there is no dealer for Deteknix in the Netherlands all should be fine ::g
Cheers
mrix

Euro Detector

Post by Euro Detector »

Hi there mrix. There are plenty of dealers but I can't find any selling these headphones. I'd rather buy them from the mdf anyway to contribute to the site. Let me know please if that is at all possible and what the postage would be. ::g
Euro Detector

mrix
Founder

Post by mrix »

Thanks for supporting the MDF Auction that`s very much appreciated, as there is no one selling the headphones in the Netherlands it would be ok to purchase ::g
You will need to pay an additional postage cost which would amount to in total £10
Cheers
mrix

targets

Post by targets »

the magnetic plug and socket only fails on a small % because the centre pin can be lose in the plug as the tolerances are so small ,but globally the failure rate is not what a makers wants ,as batteries have been conking out for US users in the field no doubt due to the bad plug and socket meaning batteries havent been fully charged

liamnolan
Location: Hemswell, Lincolnshire. originally from Dublin, southern Ireland

Re: Deteknix Headphones are there any bad points ????

Post by liamnolan »

I wonder how many good products have been unfairly criticised in the past. We have great spades that work perfectly for 99% and 1% posts that they break far too easily when digging deep into rock hard frozen ground. Clothing can get a top class review from users until someone moans that they can too easily tear when climbing over barbed wire fencing. I use the Deus, what a super machine but there are people who moan that its too light, they break the charging pins and the back phones can break if ripped apart in high winds ..
The magnetic charging attachment on the Deteknix phones is a bit fiddly I know, noticed it as soon as I get everything set up, but it then worked fine.
Whatever detecting equipment we use, we need to take time and effort to be a bit careful. Just like when out detecting, patience and care can bring up the finds, Liam OooO
Deus, WSi's - In the end we will regret the chances we didn't take, the relationships we were afraid to have and decisions we waited too long to make .. Spokesperson Irish Metal Detecting Society IMDS Vice President European Council for Metal Detecting

Return to “Quest - Deteknix Forum”