Quest X-pointer

Quest Metal Detectors Forum
Topics related to Quest metal detectors here, Off topic posts will be removed.
Quest Videos
Nailman

Re: deteknix Xpointer

Post by Nailman »

Anglo Celtic wrote:I was in nigel's shop in Birmingham before xmas,I bought a Garrett Pro pointer,I mentioned the dodgy switches he said it's cos Ppl try sliding the switch instead of depressing it. He also said if looked after properly they should last as long as his, six years!!! Up to now mines been fine with a heavy tape wrap and a homemade lanyard made of strong elastic, only time will tell but if it lets me down and I'm left hanging well to me that's robbery,I can be there worst nightmare twisting there arguments this way and that and generally wrecking suppliers heads, sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't but I usually have a bit of pay back one way or another. ::g
My Garrett is five years old and has only just started to play up, well out of guarantee, it has had some heavy use over the years.
So the estimated six year lifespan sounds feasible, however I know people who have had problems from day one.
I am going to purchase the new Deteknix in Orange or Yellow( easy to find if you're lanyard snaps)
From the videos and feedback it looks a good bit of kit, I can't believe Garrett have just rested on their laurels and taken steps to improve the pro pointer their mistake

Fisher F75 SE
Xp. Adventis 2
Chefphones CP3
Chefphones Cp2
Evoloution spade
Bad back
Experienced button digger

JBM

Re: Deteknix X-pointer

Post by JBM »

Good thinking, but you should not lose this probe as its attached to the user with a free bungee type lanyard. ;) Jerry.

Tony Hunt

Post by Tony Hunt »

My Garrett I purchased from Laura at Detecnicks about five years ago is still going strong and I have only ever put a couple of batteries in it. i must admit as I get older I tend to use it far more because i need to find stuff quicker these days instead of spending ages bent over a hole. Bend over too long I cant straighten up again, lol. When the Garrett finally dies I will be using an Orange Xpointer I am keeping in the van as a spare.

The Camo Xpointers are proving probably the most popular then Orange for obvious reasons then Black. Can never understand the connection some people put on using everything Camo for detecting. Fishing and shooting yes because you need to hide and stop the quarry from seeing you.
I have actually had a couple of farmer friends of mine say to me they dont understand why detectorists need to hide themselves behind camo, what are they hiding from they say. They have actually said to me that anybody turns up looking like Rambo they aint going to get permission on their farms. Popular clothing but it could just work against you. It could just be giving out a wrong message.

grumpyjohn

Post by grumpyjohn »

My Garrett Pro Pointer is still going well after 3 years but when it starts playing up will be replaced by an Xpointer !! ::g
Better to live a rich life and die poor than live a poor life and die rich

Nailman

Post by Nailman »

Tony Hunt wrote:My Garrett I purchased from Laura at Detecnicks about five years ago is still going strong and I have only ever put a couple of batteries in it. i must admit as I get older I tend to use it far more because i need to find stuff quicker these days instead of spending ages bent over a hole. Bend over too long I cant straighten up again, lol. When the Garrett finally dies I will be using an Orange Xpointer I am keeping in the van as a spare.

The Camo Xpointers are proving probably the most popular then Orange for obvious reasons then Black. Can never understand the connection some people put on using everything Camo for detecting. Fishing and shooting yes because you need to hide and stop the quarry from seeing you.
I have actually had a couple of farmer friends of mine say to me they dont understand why detectorists need to hide themselves behind camo, what are they hiding from they say. They have actually said to me that anybody turns up looking like Rambo they aint going to get permission on their farms. Popular clothing but it could just work against you. It could just be giving out a wrong message.
My Garrett has just started to play up after five years, I am looking at the Orange x pointer, as for camo army equipment is hard wearing but some do go OTT with the military gear.

On a dig when it come in cold I put on a hi viz hoodie, and was asked to remove it by the dig captain
Looking forward to new pointer arriving the Garrett has had a good working life, I've heard of others packing in after two years.
Fisher F75 SE
Xp. Adventis 2
Chefphones CP3
Chefphones Cp2
Evoloution spade
Bad back
Experienced button digger

ronleake

Post by ronleake »

On a dig when it come in cold I put on a hi viz hoodie, and was asked to remove it by the dig captain

Why?????
Socks, Trainers, Wellington Boots, Gloves, Underpants, Tracky Trousers,
T shirt, Pullover, Overjacket, Baseball Cap, Spade, Spectacles, Watch, Packed lunch, Coffee flask, FID Card, Car, Optimism, 2 strong bags for my boots,
...and a detector

clint

Post by clint »

Yeah why? Did it clash with his stormtrooper uniform?
Etrac.13" Ultimate Coil.CP3 TT`s
8x6 sef
Euroace.
Deteknix Pointer,camo,oh yeah! ...does what it says on the box..
Garrett Propointer..ok...(now it's fixed!)
Jeff`s big tool!

Ten pence!

Post by Ten pence! »

Rather than start a new thread can some owners of the Deteknix probe tell me what is't like on very small items?

I'm not so concerned about coin sized objects I can actually see things like that! It's just those very small pieces of metal that are causing me problems, you know the sort of thing, you reduce a small clod to dust and the item seems to vanish but then you run the detector over it again and it's still there, after some groping about you find a tiny button, airgun pellet or fragment of a coke can, my current Maplin pin pointer is virtually useless in this situation as you literally have to touch the object before you get a signal.

How would the Deteknix cope in this situation?

clint

new X pointer owners

Post by clint »

Are you pleased with yours? How are they performing out in the field?

Regards

Clint
8x6 sef
Euroace.
Jeff`s big tool!

ronleake

Post by ronleake »

It seems to be as good as the Garrett but much cheaper. The range is good and it detects along the length of the pointer to narrow the area before using the tip to pinpoint. You won't be disappointed at £65 with holster, lanyard, spare tip covers, battery and postage.
T shirt, Pullover, Overjacket, Baseball Cap, Spade, Spectacles, Watch, Packed lunch, Coffee flask, FID Card, Car, Optimism, 2 strong bags for my boots,
...and a detector

mrix
Founder

Post by mrix »

If anyone is interested in purchasing one the various direct link to all the colours are below ::g

Black only - XPointer in Black

Woodland Camo only - XPointer in Camo

Yellow Colour only - XPointer in Yellow

Orange Colour only - XPointer in Orange

Grey Colour only - XPointer in Grey

Pink Colour -XPointer in Pink

Please remember all communication must be made through the auction sites messaging system or replying to this thread and strictly not the forums pm system

If your not aware of these New pin-pointers here is a little video I made up ::g
Direct Video Link here - X Pointer Review

LanceB

Post by LanceB »

Well my Xpointer is great & well worth the £65 paid on the MDF Auction. It does not false was the comment on the demonstration video & this has proved completely true for me, even in wet sand. It's a PI detector & has excellent, sensitivity is adjustable & even came with a quality battery fitted.

Couldn't have asked for more & so far it's performed brilliantly, highly recommended ::g ::g
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics Eurotek Pro
Deteknix XPointer
Eternal Optimism!

Ten pence!

Post by Ten pence! »

Does anyone know what the X pointer is like on very small items close in? :-/

ronleake

Post by ronleake »

I only use it for very small elusive items as my 13" coil isn't that brilliant at pinpointing. I use it maybe once or twice per outing but it works well.
...and a detector

Ten pence!

Post by Ten pence! »

::g

Cheers Ron that was just the answer I was looking for, I'd use one for exactly the same reasons, those tiny and near invisible bits of molten aluminium and irritating lead fragments that hold you up.

Stratman

Post by Stratman »

Got mine today in dazzling yellow ::g Hopefully won't lose it but guarantee it could be spotted from 100yds :))

Fanastic service Tony, super fast turnaround and speed of light delivery, Thanks ::g

I've not used a pin-pointer before so nothing to compare it against but sure it's going to save some time here and there ::g

Tony Hunt

Post by Tony Hunt »

Thanks for all the positive comments guys. Its always our policy to ship out by first class signed for post the same day If possible. People are genuinely amazed that the postman knocks the next day after they order. Obviously If you order on a Friday or saturday you got to wait an extra day or two. Well like Mike Rix mentioned we have sold 60 or more on this forum alone which is amazing, overall we have sold approaching 300 in just a few weeks and its snowballing because people are telling their mates at digs and club meetings. We obviously sell them on EBay also but to cover their Extortinate fees I charge 10% more on there.
As a special treat to members of the MDF and because of the help Mike has given me with making Videos etc for some of my other products I sell them at the lower price on this forum.
Upto now we have only had a handful of pointers back out of the few hundred sold with minor problems. Two with battery connectors that came unsoldered, One where the vibrate motor had become unsoldered and One other that the guy said was sounding off but he hadn't realised that he needed to change the frequency of his detector slightly so that they didn't clash. That is easily done on a Minelab by noise cancelling or on a Deus by shifting the frequency response sideways slightly. Don't know about other machines.

So all in all a very good new product and certainly not a copy of anything else. I'm glad I jumped in and got the Distributorship of it before the big boys. Cutting out the middleman has enabled me to keep it at an amazing price for you. We have a full range of spare parts here to cover any warranty work thats needed. Enjoy ::g

clint

Post by clint »

Tony,
it is decent of you to highlight the tiny amount of minor issues you have had with the launch if the new pointer. Who else has done that? No one!

regards

Clint
8x6 sef
Euroace.
Jeff`s big tool!

LanceB

Post by LanceB »

Thanks again Tony, my XPointer is doing a fantastic job & I wouldn't be without it...recommend to anyone ::g :D
Last edited by LanceB on Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics Eurotek Pro
Deteknix XPointer
Eternal Optimism!

clint

Post by clint »

Received my xpointer this morning, super fast delivery. Unpacked it and went through the functions etc happy with that decided to take it out to a nearby bit of pasture for a test run.
WHAT JOY!
NO falsing whatsoever.
The ability to increase the sensitivity is really helpful in hard ground as it finds the target quicker and saves needless diggjng and making a mess. All targets were recovered undamaged and in double quick time. Being camo it also matches my hat!

First impressions. .I love it! Does what it says on the box.

great service from Tony as well

get one

Clint
8x6 sef
Euroace.
Jeff`s big tool!

ronleake

Post by ronleake »

Uh Oh ! having praised the pointer so far, I am disappointed to say that mine suffered a catastrophe last weekend. One of the battery connectors distorted and failed to make contact. Being a practical sort I attempted to realign it whereupon it snapped being of a not very robust construction. I am happy with the performance and decided that rather than return it for a replacement with the same weakness, I replaced the original terminals with replacements made from brass picture hooks. Job done and look forward to enjoying it for years to come.
...and a detector

mrix
Founder

Post by mrix »

I am happy with the performance and decided that rather than return it for a replacement with the same weakness
Hi ronleake, you could of easily sent it back for a replacement ::g its unlikely you would have had the same issue again, well done on your own fix though! sounds just the job ::g B-)

Cheers
mrix

ronleake

Post by ronleake »

No probs, I'm happy and it took less than an hour. (ex army electronics technicians are trained to be resourceful). The rest of the pointer seems to be robust enough to last a long time.
Last edited by ronleake on Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
...and a detector

OldFartPhil

Post by OldFartPhil »

I've used mine the last three weekends and it performs faultlessly ::g
Never used any of the other brands but I must say that the X-Pointer is the bees knees , excellent service and prompt delivery from Tony ::g
Age is relative , the older you get the more relatives you have :)

timesearch

Post by timesearch »

Thanks for that. Unless I find mine in the next couple of days I'm going to have to replace it soon and although I've never had problems with my Garrett I' m hearing good reports about the X Pointer so will probably take that route. They are invaluable for those tiny objects we all get.

Tony Hunt

Post by Tony Hunt »

Thanks for all the good comments guys. Out of over nearly 350 sold now since mid august we have had only six or seven returned, two with sound problems where the little vibrate motor inside had become dislodged / unsoldered, they were both back in the post same day with new innards in. The others sent back have all been battery related problems, a couple where one battery connector had become unsoldered, easily fixed and also back in the post same day. We are trying very hard to please.
Just a little heads up on Battery life. Being as this new xpointer is PI its not going to be as good on Battery life as our old Garretts for instance. I have had two people contact me today who thought they had a problem with their Xpointers working erratically. I asked them both to just try a new battery before they sent the thing back and they both came back and said the problem was solved.
What I am going to do personally with mine is get myself two or three really good quality rechargeable PP3s so that I can always ensure theres a fully charged battery available. Doing this should save a good bit of money in the long term.
When I took on the distributorship for the Xpointer I decided to put a good quality free battery in every unit just to start people off. The manufacturers don't supply them and distributors in other countries haven't bothered I just thought it would earn us some brownie points with you guys, lol.
Enjoy your pointers and please spread the word If you are happy with it. ::g

mrix
Founder

Post by mrix »

if anyone is interested in purchasing one the various direct link to all the colours are below ::g

Black only - XPointer in Black

Woodland Camo only - XPointer in Camo

Yellow Colour only - XPointer in Yellow

Orange Colour only - XPointer in Orange

Grey Colour only - XPointer in Grey

Pink Colour -XPointer in Pink

Please remember all communication must be made through the auction sites messaging system or replying to this thread and strictly not the forums pm system

If your not aware of these New pin-pointers here is a little video I made up ::g
Direct Video Link here - X Pointer Review

clint

Post by clint »

The camo xpointer is by far the best..although I'm getting to like the orange one. Incidentally what is the legal limit on the amount of pinpointers you can own?

regards

Clint
8x6 sef
Euroace.
Jeff`s big tool!

Tony Hunt

Post by Tony Hunt »

Hey Clint theres six colours in stock now, go for it, the Hot Pink is especially nice. You'll never lose it. Might get some funny looks though or propositions. ;)

davetee

Post by davetee »

Hopefully be trying mine out tomorrow if the rain holds off.

Return to “Quest - Deteknix Forum”