Is big better?

Quest Metal Detectors Forum
Topics related to Quest metal detectors here, Off topic posts will be removed.
Quest Videos
Jullie Victor

Is big better?

Post by Jullie Victor » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:51 pm

Hi All,

Since a few months I am the proud owner of a Q40. I bought it from a friend but sadly, it came with only the small coil. Having read some post here I noticed that a bigger coil (the Raptor) tend to give better results than the smaller coil.

Now my question is:
is it worth the, in my case, 130 euro's to buy the Raptor for the little extra depth and signals?

Kind regards from the Netherlands
Joost

Jullie Victor

Re: Is big better?

Post by Jullie Victor » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:13 am

Disregard my previous question, i already bought it this morning 😉

shaggybfc

Post by shaggybfc » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:24 am

good man, I'm sure you'll have great success with the larger coil ::g
XP Deus, 11" X35 coil, WS4 back-phones, remote and an empty bank balance. XP MI 6 pin pointer. Garrett Ace 250 wireless MPow set up.
They told me I’d never be any good at poetry, because I’m dyslexic, but so far I’ve made 3 jugs and a vase.

amphora

Post by amphora » Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:39 pm

Bigger coil has pro's and con's. Bigger coils for instance have more problems with iron masking and other double signals.
On one of my detector i can only use the original 8" coil and it works very well. Finds thin coins and small objects on depths some people with bigger better detectors have problems with.

Do what gives you most confidence and a good feeling. Find the detector that fits you.
Good luck hunting.
Disclaimer: If i give advices i talk from my personal perspective, and it is not to copy 1 on 1. I rely on everyone’s common sense. Everyone has to think himself about implementing it for himself and to consider legal circumstances.

cantona1

Post by cantona1 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:41 pm

I use both coils on my Q40, I haven't found much difference in depth really but the larger coil is slightly more difficult to determine the objects position under the coil, the small coil seems to be more accurate. Good luck, I really rate the Q40, it's a great little machine ::g

Jullie Victor

Post by Jullie Victor » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:07 pm

Thanks for the reply all. This afternoon the bigger coil should be in. (this will also be the moment where my wife wants to divorce me as i won't see her for the upcoming 3 months =)) )

Saffron

Post by Saffron » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:21 pm

Well the second post rather reduced the significance of the first and remainder of the thread.

But I do like the style, "should I, shouldn't I?. Oh blow it, lets go for it" ::g :D

When it comes to coil size questions I always direct folks to this link
http://nel-coils.com/index.php/en/

Although its for Nel coils, giving a rating for each aspect of the coils ability it would also be a guide to other makes of the same coil sizes. So shows the pros and cons of the different sizes.

By coincidence I am considering the larger coil for the Nox.
As I said Ilike the OPs style, "should I, shouldn't I?. Oh blow it, lets go for it", and think I will do the same. :))

Evan

amphora

Post by amphora » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:31 pm

Jullie Victor wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:07 pm
(this will also be the moment where my wife wants to divorce me as i won't see her for the upcoming 3 months =)) )
Or not, as she was able to become some rest for three months. :D
Good luck with both hunting and your wife. ::g
Good luck hunting.
Disclaimer: If i give advices i talk from my personal perspective, and it is not to copy 1 on 1. I rely on everyone’s common sense. Everyone has to think himself about implementing it for himself and to consider legal circumstances.

dreadnought

Post by dreadnought » Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:13 pm

ive had my q40 since they were released, and without a doubt the bigger coil is better. you will get some more depth, not a load but noticeable, it wil also give you a better chance of finding smaller items deeper, itll give a lower number in this situation but will get better when dug.

some brand snobs will say theres nothing to learn on the Q40 as its "basic" but learn the machine and learn it well and it wont let you down,
its not a simple three tone machine, it has many variations to those tones and they all tell you more about whats in the ground, its been unfairly slated, to many people put it down due to it being a lesser known brand but it is without a doubt an excellent machine,
plenty of detectorists will champion their current machine, and good for them but ive had some supposedly "top" machines and they aren't any better than the Q40, in some cases...… worse. the Q40 is a bit like ronseal "does exactly what it says on the tin". awesome machine
ive just sold my latest supposedly better machine and am buying another Q40, atleast I can have my own now as my boy commandeered mine,lol.
garret 400i ::g
Quest Q40, awesome machine, never sell it, now the boys :: ::g
Kruzer…………. disappointing, sold ;;z

GP pointer, 3 years and still going, now the boys. ::g
Nokta pointer, best there is ::g

Jullie Victor

Post by Jullie Victor » Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:38 am

Hi Dreadnought, thanks for the kind words regarding the Q40....after last night, i honestly needed them.

Yesterday evening i went searching for coins (in coin mode) on a nice field close to where i live (Maarssen, the Netherlands) The conditions where close to perfection!
This was the area where i found my first coin. Sadly i couldn't go back there because the grass was about 50 cm high, but as sad, yesterday the conditions where close to perfection. The grass was mowed, the ground was still a bit wet, and there was no one there. Having the new, bigger, coil i thought i would end the night being a millionaire. ;))

But no, the ground was full with iron, cans and (old) nails. As well as, what i think, parts of big melted iron. And all around 20-30 cm deep. Apparently i need to dive in to the settings of my machine more because i didn't find a single coin.

According this cool map: https://www.topotijdreis.nl the search area has been farm land for at least 200 years, so i don't understand why it was full with iron?

Anyway, i was a bit disappointed in the machine and the coil, but after reading the post above, i will go back there this weekend. See if i can play around a bit with the settings.

Cheers,
Joost

Saffron

Post by Saffron » Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:26 pm

Jullie Victor wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:38 am

<cut>
The conditions where close to perfection!

<cut>
I thought i would end the night being a millionaire. ;))

<cut>
But no, the ground was full with iron, cans and (old) nails. As well as, what i think, parts of big melted iron.

<cut>
According this cool map: https://www.topotijdreis.nl the search area has been farm land for at least 200 years, so i don't understand why it was full with iron?

<cut>
Welcome to the world of metal detecting!.

We have all been there.
Conditions wise every thing is perfect. ::g
We have done our research and found what should be a prime site. ::g

Only problem is that all we find on the day is rubbish, mainly with no logical reason for it :-L ;;z ;;z

Nothing to do with the machine or coil, above scenario has been experienced by detectorists with all the "top" machines.
It happens. But it makes those days when we are on unpromising sites in bad conditions that suddenly turn up a good find so much better.

I know nothing about the Q40 but believe its an OK machine. As they say "you have to walk over it to find it".

Evan

amphora

Post by amphora » Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:41 pm

Partly (!!!) i think it is a fairy-tail, as long as you have a good detector.

I think it is not about "the best detector" but about the hunter hunting serious, with a good swing, not to high or to low, not to quick or to slow. The hunter the best skills and most mastery and patience. On a location were the finds are there so good research (if not there then nothing to find, not even with a super detector, is it?).

Many years i have hunted next to many hunting buddies, all with all kinds of brands and types among which all "the best".
One get's some more X-type finds were the other finds some more Y-type off finds, but eventuelly on the same farmland all found the same kinds of finds in the same amounts. I even had hunting buddies with "the best" detector which were jealous as i found the must beautifull find off the day, or the most. Even some with "the best" detector always found the less or nothing. And as much they found most or most beautifull, so again equal.
Eventually we all kind off found the same, that what was there laying in the ground waiting for all off us. Skills and luck, and a good detector!
Good luck hunting.

dreadnought

Post by dreadnought » Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:19 pm

Jullie Victor wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:38 am
Hi Dreadnought, thanks for the kind words regarding the Q40....after last night, i honestly needed them.

Yesterday evening i went searching for coins (in coin mode) on a nice field close to where i live (Maarssen, the Netherlands) The conditions where close to perfection!
This was the area where i found my first coin. Sadly i couldn't go back there because the grass was about 50 cm high, but as sad, yesterday the conditions where close to perfection. The grass was mowed, the ground was still a bit wet, and there was no one there. Having the new, bigger, coil i thought i would end the night being a millionaire. ;))

But no, the ground was full with iron, cans and (old) nails. As well as, what i think, parts of big melted iron. And all around 20-30 cm deep. Apparently i need to dive in to the settings of my machine more because i didn't find a single coin.

Anyway, i was a bit disappointed in the machine and the coil, but after reading the post above, i will go back there this weekend. See if i can play around a bit with the settings.

Cheers,
Joost
leave coin mode alone. its not the ONLY setting you can rely on to get coins. jewellry mode is much better, notch out the bottom four on the left os screen, and go from there, run sens as high as you can but NOT at max, if you can get up to 90-92 then thats perfect. above all learn what the machine is telling you with sounds and numbers. if numbers fluctuate up and down more than two or three then its not a pure metal, and most likely will contain iron, also it should give you solid numbers and tones from a two way swing. its such a capable machine when youre used to it, have faith, and as the previous poster said, dont get disheartened, we all have days like that.
garret 400i ::g
Quest Q40, awesome machine, never sell it, now the boys :: ::g
Kruzer…………. disappointing, sold ;;z

GP pointer, 3 years and still going, now the boys. ::g
Nokta pointer, best there is ::g

IAN MCKENNA

Post by IAN MCKENNA » Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:05 pm

Any one using a Mars Tiger 10x13 inch search coil got one coming

kenleyboy

Post by kenleyboy » Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:38 pm

Have to agree with Dreadnought on the settings on the Q40 , jewellery mode for me and have settled on using this most of the time as I feel comfortable and confident with this setting . I run the sensitivity between 75 and 85 . For me I think it is about being confident with your machine and after using the Q40 for almost two years now I think I am just about there with knowing the machine .
It is a huge learning curve with any machine and the Q40 suits my temperament , I have no patience with anything too technical . Q40 is simple and uncomplicated and yes I do believe very underrated but as I have said before it came around the same time as the Nox so got pushed aside .
The blade coil is very precise for pinpointing but out of the two coils I must admit to having more confidence with the Raptor coil .
One day I may well upgrade but for now I am enjoying the Q40 so I feel no need to change just yet .
I walk , I dig , I find ....naff all !

Jullie Victor

Post by Jullie Victor » Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:03 pm

Thanks again for all your stories. Since my last post i've been playing around with the Q40.

I totally agree with what you all posted. Turns out that i just had to have some patience.
Now that i have learned more about the machine, it all makes sense.

Return to “Quest - Deteknix Forum”