First time in a while.

Quest Metal Detectors Forum
Topics related to Quest metal detectors here, Off topic posts will be removed.
Quest Videos
Resurgam

First time in a while.

Post by Resurgam » Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:32 am

Aint been out detecting in some considerable time now and the Q40, along with both coils, has been gathering dust in the office along side my Safari and it's four coils. I had planned to motor down to Talacre yesterday but fate intervened and I didn't make it but I am presently all geared up to give it a go today.

Anticipating a big tide about lunch time, I will probably drop in on a small permission that I gained last year and confirm that I am still ok to turn a sod or two. I will also drop in on a farmer that I was advised to contact some time ago. Failing any progress on the permissions front I will move on down to the beach and stick close to the dunes.

Lets see if I can re-establish my relationship with the Q40 and remember what settings she really likes. Never having been impressed by her beach mode I will pop her into jewellery mode and back off the sensitivity; depending on how she ground balances. If nothing else, the day should be interesting and easy on the swinging arm!

Chris ::g

Garrett ProPointer + MineLab Safari + Quest Q40, and loads of determination.

fred

Re: First time in a while.

Post by fred » Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:41 am

Best of luck. ::g
Equinox 800 x2

littleboot

Post by littleboot » Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:48 am

Good luck and hope the swinging arm hasn't weakened with lack of use. If I don't detect for a while I really feel it when I go back...even though I do lots of other things to exercise it (and no, that isn't just drinking wine as per my avatar. :D )

I would be interested in anything you have to say about the Q40 as it is a possible replacement for the GMP for Hubby.
Equinox 600, GMP, wellies.

liamnolan
Location: Hemswell, Lincolnshire. originally from Dublin, southern Ireland

Post by liamnolan » Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:39 am

Good luck Chris, when younger I used to dash out for an hour in between a million family and work tasks but now prefer more preparation and have moved home and had to start all over again re getting land :-O Jan, get on that lovely French wine l;. , can you recommend some that we can buy here in the UK? Liam :;@
Deus, WSi's - In the end we will regret the chances we didn't take, the relationships we were afraid to have and decisions we waited too long to make .. Spokesperson Irish Metal Detecting Society IMDS Vice President European Council for Metal Detecting

littleboot

Post by littleboot » Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:58 am

liamnolan wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:39 am
Jan, get on that lovely French wine l;. , can you recommend some that we can buy here in the UK? Liam :;@
In true Frog fashion, they tend to keep the best for themselves. So I don't really know what is sold in the UK...but the best stuff is by niche producers who only make enough for the French market.
My best advice is to wait till autumn ...early October ish....its when a lot of French supermarkets and cellars have a Foire and sell wine off at good discounts (very good if bought by the dozen) . Some excellent savings to be had, particularly on premium wines and champagnes. We always get our Christmas wine around this time and find a lot of Brits miss-time it and do their booze cruise too late and miss the bargains.
Equinox 600, GMP, wellies.

Resurgam

Post by Resurgam » Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:20 pm

Thanks for all the good wishes folks. I eventually made it down to Talacre Thursday morning and discovered that I had taken on more than was good for me. Despite the Q40 being lighter than the Safari with it's large coils, I could have done with fitting a bungee.

I only put in four hours swinging the coil and that was probably two hours too many. Based on passed experiences with the Q40 I totally ignored the 'supposed' beach setting and switched her to jewellery mode with the sensitivity set at 80. She performed quite well, with no chatter or falsing.

Not a very productive day for coins but I did find one Edward halfpenny, one grotty thrupenny bit,
three one pence decimals, and one five pence piece. The audio for the coins was loud clear and positive, leaving me in no doubt that the target was going to be something better than the many spent WWII projectiles that litter Talacre. Signals from largish pieces of copper jacket off fifty cal armour piecing projectiles tended to mimic those from coins.

Quite a learning day by all events. Next time out; try and get back into better shape beforehand, curtail the number of hours swinging the coil, use a bungee, and refamiliarize myself with the Q40 operational settings before setting out.

This getting older aint much fun but when you consider the alternative I suppose that it's not too bad; is it? ;))
Last edited by Resurgam on Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ladybird66

Post by Ladybird66 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:34 pm

Well done on getting there at all Chris. A few coins helps, no matter which ones.
Give them dunes a miss, that’s my advice. Like trying to climb Everest at our age =P~

I had to get into th manual again before I had a go. Messed it up completely the last time out, pressed the wrong button and ended up in a completely different program. :-O
Had a wonder round my field for an hour. Credit to the NOX it keeps finding stuff - crap that I’d previously missed.

Better luck next time ::g

Resurgam

Post by Resurgam » Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:03 pm

Sadly. the dunes, salt marsh, and tern roosting area at Talacre are all out of bounds for us detectorists but I recon the dunes would probably have totally done me in, had they been free to detect! ::g

Return to “Quest - Deteknix Forum”