XPointer Pinpointer

Quest Metal Detectors Forum
Topics related to Quest metal detectors here, Off topic posts will be removed.
Quest Videos
ju.mobile

XPointer Pinpointer

Post by ju.mobile »

Hi Simon,

I replaced my Garrett with the XPointer. I'm really impressed with it and in regards to performance, they like to eat batteries but using rechargeable will keep it happy and have had 3 - 4 + full days on a single charge.

Kind Regards

Ju

ju.mobile

Re: X point pinpointer

Post by ju.mobile »

BTW!

I filled the speaker hole and sealed around the light with a small amount of silicon sealant.
The speakers still plenty loud enough and its quick and easy to clean, just chuck it under the tap ;o)

Kind Regards

Ju

ju.mobile

Post by ju.mobile »

Hi Simon,

My Xpointer stands up to a dunking with the additional barrier provider by the silicon sealant. Longer term the silicon gets weak around the light and therefore I replace it once in a while

Cheers

Ju

northernmonkey

Post by northernmonkey »

Had one a couple of years ago. Good for the price, no falsing ...but mine was eating batteries at a silly rate and it also didn't like sounding off on foil for some strange reason.
Sov GT
T2 Dst

jeap

Re: XPoint Pinpointer

Post by jeap »

I purchased one at the beginning of this year and agree with the eating batteries comment - what rechargeable brand are you using ju.mobile? Also has the same issue with not picking up foil - even when i rub the foil along the pointer it still manages to not pick up properly. Overall I'm happy with it.

ju.mobile

Post by ju.mobile »

Hi,

Use Varta Accu 200Mah NiMh in my pointer. ::g

Just tried the foil test. . . >SPEECHLESS< x; Might need t consider an alternative, will have a play with the settings to see if that has any impact.

However, beyond my new found love of my XPointer which could have me baffled or bypassing foil its pretty good at the price point.

Kind Regards

Ju

ju.mobile

Post by ju.mobile »

Well,

Just tested with varying settings on the XPointer - defo cant see foil for toffee. ;;z
Interestingly, Garrett II was not much better either. ;;z

I cant justify £100+ quid for a wireless Ferrari that finds foil!!! But, I might get tempted if/when the XPointer breaks. Just need the 3D X-Ray glasses to go with it: &*(

Kind Regards

Ju

mrix
Founder

Post by mrix »

Foil is Technically a good target as its none-ferrous and normally made from aluminium.
Cheers
mrix

jeap

Re: XPointer Pinpointer

Post by jeap »

Thank Ju, will make a purchase of the battery when I've worked my way through the non-chargeables.

TinDigger

Post by TinDigger »

Lithium is the way to go, they vary from about 850mAh upto about 1200mAh. That's about 4 or 5x a good alkaline. Should last months as long as you remember to turn off between digs....

https://www.batterystation.co.uk/gp-lit ... oKEALw_wcB

Bors

Post by Bors »

Got me a while ago a QUEST X POINTER PRO (FULLY WATERPROOF PINPOINTER) rechargeable battery on board ,so no worries on having to replace batteries all the time. lasts quite a bit on one charge too , obviously depends on how many hours you continually use it for but its quite a decent length of time. mrix has demo`d it in this Vid. I often carry my " Easyacc " juice bank around anyway just in case the power does get low.
Beware of the Man who shoots with only One gun.

Ten pence!

Post by Ten pence! »

I have one of the original yellow ones, they are very good, reliable, and never false, they are also"deeper" than the other PPers I've used or tested, but only on coins and larger objects.

The downside is they can be quite poor on micro finds, my GMP and Equinox 600 are both capable of finding tiny blobs of bronze and hammy fragments that the Deteknix will not pick up under any circumstances.

PinkFloyd

Post by PinkFloyd »

Don’t like the sound of that !

The whole point of a pinpointer is to locate the sometimes tiny fragments within the soil .
Doctor - you’ve got 5 minutes to live
Me - Listen to comfortably numb
Doctor - but that’s 9 minutes
God - it’s ok

Ten pence!

Post by Ten pence! »

PI pinpointers are very stable and have good depth, great for the beach, but for some technical reason they struggle on the really small stuff, I have tried my Deteknix on a .177 airgun pellet and it is hit and miss, usually miss.

Bors

Post by Bors »

Ten pence! wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:54 pm
PI pinpointers are very stable and have good depth, great for the beach, but for some technical reason they struggle on the really small stuff, I have tried my Deteknix on a .177 airgun pellet and it is hit and miss, usually miss, a Makro, older style Garrett and an MI4 all pick it up with ease, these are "traditional" VLF pinpointers.
Strange that ! I don`t have any issues like that with this fully waterproof model by Xpointer Pro . After reading your post I`ve just tried it on a bit of metal the size of a .177 air gun pellet and it gets it no problem at about 3/4 ".

Ten pence!

Post by Ten pence! »

Well hopefully they have improved things, I will borrow and test on the next rally I attend.

Bors

Post by Bors »

Ten pence! wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:35 pm
Well hopefully they have improved things, I will borrow and test on the next rally I attend.
Yes believe me if this one I have was not doing the biz at anything below 1" I`d be sending it back. I don`t know about the other models what the spec on those are ,but this model has 3 modes of sensitivity. Up to now its doing what it should though so fingers crossed . ::g

beachboy70

Post by beachboy70 »

I was watching a video of a test between a Scuba Tector and the new Nocta version ( scuba ) recently and they would not pick up a chunky gold chain or small gold cross does the Quest waterproof or the land version ( pulse ) have the same problems. I have the land version and its really good but i cannot test the smaller gold or chain as not at home just now. Any testing on this would be interesting as no point in buying them if they don't pick up what you are looking for. beachboy70 :E

Return to “Quest - Deteknix Forum”