Quest Q40 issues...or possibly not?

Quest Metal Detectors Forum
Topics related to Quest metal detectors here, Off topic posts will be removed.
Quest Videos
yammy

Quest Q40 issues...or possibly not?

Post by yammy » Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:16 pm

Just received a Q40 and on doing some basic tests indoors...not ideal I know, it seems to be a bit erratic?

If I put it in beach mode it won't quiet down and I noticed that even the slightest touch on the cable...half way up the stem triggers a repeatable signal. So touch the cable = signal, touch it again=signal and so on. Also sweeping the machine side to sid in air does the same thing. This is even if i manually turn the sensitivity down to just 1 :-O

However, if i switch to jewellery mode it goes quiet until there is a target.

Obviously testing at home is not the same as out in the field..or beach in my case but it does concern me that the machine is behaving like this with no signals present.

I have altered the frequency by the way so there is no interference from anything close by.

What really worries me is I had almost the exact same problems with two X10's and had to return them for a refund. First one apparently it was the coil and the second a problem with the software.

Anyone else had similar issues with the Q40?

Really want to like this machine but my confidence is not high at the moment :(

cantona1

Re: Quest Q40 issues...or possibly not?

Post by cantona1 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:45 pm

I have the Q40 Yammy and have found it to be an excellent machine for the money,BUT I don't use it on the beach just on land in Jewellery mode where it works really well for me. Testing it indoors is pointless I am afraid, you should really do it outside. Take a look at the Quest section over on the left where I listed my settings and target identification numbers. It may be a faulty machine but you won't know until you get it outside.

Cantona1

yammy

Post by yammy » Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:45 pm

Thanks. Will be heading out to the beach at about 4am. Have got some settings saved in user slot 1 and I am hoping it will work ok. Won't be going near the wet sand.

cantona1

Post by cantona1 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:07 am

Good luck ::g

yammy

Post by yammy » Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:41 am

So got back from the beach and without any real issues. Q40 works fine once you get used it. You do have to adapt your style a litte for a pebble beach because thar raptor coil is very sensitive to even the slightest knock!

I started off with custom settings I found on the MDF last night. Can't remember who posted them but apparently they were adapted from the Quest Pro?

GC-25
Sens-55
Tid- 25-30 (had mine on 30)
FeSen-Off
Tone-3

That worked a treat. Hardly a sound at all apart from where there was a target and when I knocked the coil.

So yeah, all in all very happy with it.

Also it worked quite well in the wet sand. Dug a few iffy targets and turned out to be grotty 1p's but at least it worked. I did take it down the the waterline but it started to get a bit chatty so left that.

Also tried jewellery mode which worked well and the coil seemed less prone to false signals from knocking on the pebbles.

Will be out again Monday but on a different beach about 30 miles away. More sand there. Will be interesting to see if it works as well with those settings.

Resurgam

Post by Resurgam » Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:19 pm

Are you trying your Q40 on both dry and wet sand in beach mode? I would be interested to learn how your machine performs on both wet and dry sand in beach mode.

Chris ::g
Garrett ProPointer + MineLab Safari + Quest Q40, and loads of determination.

yammy

Post by yammy » Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:38 pm

Hi Chris.

I have used the Q40 quite extensively now on both the wet and dry sand but I don't use 'Beach Mode' because it is absolutely useless! Quest know about it and are supposed to be sorting it in the new machines.

However you do have two user slots where you can put in your own settings. The main thing is to manually set the ground balance to zero. That sorts most things. Then you can tweak the sensitivity up or down depending on your local beach conditions.

Once you make changes to a user slot you don't need to do anything else. The machine remembers your settings for you. Very easy once you have done it the first time ::g

Resurgam

Post by Resurgam » Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:22 pm

Your beach findings are pretty much the same as my own and I gave up using the beach mode, other than on dry sand.

I did notice whilst doing some in air testing that if the target is passed in front of the coil quicker it sees the target deeper; so, if we stick to that old low and slow principle for the swing we may be missing deeper targets. Try it for your self and see if we concur.

Last time out on the beach I did have some problems with the Q40 falsing but it turned out that there was a little too much loose cable close to the coil and if it waggled it was picked up by the coil as a target.

Here are a few items from the scrappy east end of Colwyn Bay beach, earlier this year.
Colwyn Bay 02.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

cantona1

Post by cantona1 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:54 pm

Interesting thoughts on swing speed, I normally swing low and slow but tomorrow I may speed it up a bit, interesting comments on the GB also, my fields generally auto balance around 50 to 54, what would be the benefit of manually setting this to Zero? I thoroughly enjoy my Q40 and have found some fascinating items with it, great machine ::g

Resurgam

Post by Resurgam » Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:48 pm

Just had an after-thought about the beach mode on the Quest Q40!

Contemplating the parasol that indicates beach mode, do you suppose that when the Chinese initially designed the Q40, the beach mode was specifically tuned for dry sand? Mine does work quite well on the dry sand.

As for the swing speed; do some in air target testing and see if you concur with my findings.

Chris ::g

dreadnought

Post by dreadnought » Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:47 pm

without a shadow of a doubt the q40 requires a quicker swing speed to get the best from it. the old "low and slow" especially the slow isn't relevant here. im not talking light speed, but a bit quicker helps a lot.
garret ATpro ::g
Quest Q40, awesome machine, never sell it, now the boys :: ::g
Kruzer…………. disappointing, sold ;;z
golden mask, don't even ask ;;z
GP pointer, 3 years and still going, now the boys. ::g
Nokta pointer, best there is ::g

Return to “Quest - Deteknix Forum”