Auto Ground Balance V Manual Cscope 6mxi

All discussion specific to the Cscope CS6MXI Metal Detector.
norfolksquit

Auto Ground Balance V Manual Cscope 6mxi

Post by norfolksquit » Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:09 am

I have a test target I always use, a 2P buried at 12".

I can just pick this up with my 3MX 8" Polo, so I just got this 6MXI (8"x11" coil) and had the ground balance on Auto, and I could not pick up the 2P :-) Ok I thought it would have picked it up no probs :-(

Anyway, I set the ground balance to manual at around 5 and it picks it up, ok not a ping but def a fair signal.

Question is my machine calibration right for auto, or maybe ground conditions, or maybe I worry too much, just think if I run in auto I might miss stuff, what's your experience guys, cheers!

Currently Using: Cscope 1mx & Quest x10 (When it arrives)

Koala

Re: Auto Ground Balance V Manual Cscope 6mxi

Post by Koala » Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:04 pm

norfolksquit wrote:I have a test target I always use, a 2P buried at 12".

I can just pick this up with my 3MX 8" Polo, so I just got this 6MXI (8"x11" coil) and had the ground balance on Auto, and I could not pick up the 2P :-) Ok I thought it would have picked it up no probs :-(

Anyway, I set the ground balance to manual at around 5 and it picks it up, ok not a ping but def a fair signal.

Question is my machine calibration right for auto, or maybe ground conditions, or maybe I worry too much, just think if I run in auto I might miss stuff, what's your experience guys, cheers!
Yes you worry too much. :D

Not had a go with the 6MXI but on other machines you normally go deeper with manual ground balance. Some machines prefer the ground balance slightly positive or negative for maximum depth.

Not that maximum depth is always the way to go as too much chatter and faint signal will be lost in the background noise

You have to be careful adjusting away from its default setting as you can gain for one type of target but loose on another.

As an example the old Tesoro its very easy to loose sensitivity to large silver if the ground balance is too far out.

My guess is that auto runs slightly more positive so the detector runs quite in the field.

norfolksquit

Post by norfolksquit » Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:08 pm

Koala wrote:
norfolksquit wrote:I have a test target I always use, a 2P buried at 12".

Yes you worry too much. :D

Not had a go with the 6MXI but on other machines you normally go deeper with manual ground balance. Some machines prefer the ground balance slightly positive or negative for maximum depth.

Not that maximum depth is always the way to go as too much chatter and faint signal will be lost in the background noise

You have to be careful adjusting away from its default setting as you can gain for one type of target but loose on another.

As an example the old Tesoro its very easy to loose sensitivity to large silver if the ground balance is too far out.

My guess is that auto runs slightly more positive so the detector runs quite in the field.
Yes I think you might be right about the auto running quieter.....

fred

Post by fred » Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:18 pm

With any detector the Auto setting is a compromise, you will simply not achieve the maximum performance that your machine is capable of. I reckon that a loss of 20-30% of performance is quite normal for factory Auto settings.

The question is whether you are prepared to put up with all of the unexplained clunks and clicks or to manually alter the settings as condition vary, which is what you have to do when you run your machine nearer to it's limits.

Horses for courses I suspect. ::g

PS Went to make a cup of tea half way through posting and Koala got in first. We seem to be of the same opinion anyway.
Equinox 800 x2

norfolksquit

Post by norfolksquit » Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:49 pm

fred wrote:With any detector the Auto setting is a compromise, you will simply not achieve the maximum performance that your machine is capable of. I reckon that a loss of 20-30% of performance is quite normal for factory Auto settings.

The question is whether you are prepared to put up with all of the unexplained clunks and clicks or to manually alter the settings as condition vary, which is what you have to do when you run your machine nearer to it's limits.

Horses for courses I suspect. ::g

PS Went to make a cup of tea half way through posting and Koala got in first. We seem to be of the same opinion anyway.
All makes senses Fred Thanks!

norfolkbill

Post by norfolkbill » Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:49 pm

On the question of the 6mx auto ground balance in auto is it in the switched off position or just on ,it doesn't make mention in the book ,the red mark is auto but can be on it switched off ground balance or just switched on .

norfolksquit

Post by norfolksquit » Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:09 pm

norfolkbill wrote:On the question of the 6mx auto ground balance in auto is it in the switched off position or just on ,it doesn't make mention in the book ,the red mark is auto but can be on it switched off ground balance or just switched on .
Auto is in switched off postion Bill.

norfolkbill

Post by norfolkbill » Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:03 am

norfolksquit wrote:
norfolkbill wrote:On the question of the 6mx auto ground balance in auto is it in the switched off position or just on ,it doesn't make mention in the book ,the red mark is auto but can be on it switched off ground balance or just switched on .
Auto is in switched off postion Bill.
Thank you ,off for a couple of hours this morning ,give it another run out .

GC-1023

Post by GC-1023 » Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:35 am

i have owned many machines that had both a factory fixed /preset position and a manual gb setting ..most but not all set the preset to be friendly as possible to a novice user .
i,m not sure of the correct terminology for which way is positive /negative .
what i have found on most machines is this . when balanced correctly the machine is more sensitive to smaller targets ,but also then fools you with the occasional bent rusty nail .
by increasing sensitivity through ground balance adjustment its only natural machine is more sensitive to all signals including the iron ones with big halo's .
now if i turn the gb dial a bit clockwise the sensitivity gets even hotter but you start getting more spits and pops off iron and when a piece does get through its sound characteristics can be very different . the clipped sound becomes a more sweet one and your sure you have a big silver plate under the coil .
turn the gb dial anti -clockwise and you heading in the direction of most factory preset positions .
you will loose sensitivity to small stuff and possibly struggle to pick up a silver crown coin if your lucky enough to pass over one .
Note.
Machines with no option for manual ground balance have to decide to be set up begginner friendly slightly neg/ average gb/or slightly pos hammie hunter friendly ::g .
gb slightly negative with a piece of ferrite seems to be a common factory setting .
but i do think some companies have chosen to balance machines a bit hotter .
the golden mask gm1+ i have seems to be super sensitive but loves big bent nails and washers .
i dont mind i would rather dig six bits of iron each session if its gonna produce me more cut hammies .
if the garrett ace 250 finds airgun pellets then chances are its also set average gb/or slightly pos. i know they have rep for loving iron ,which may be because they are gb,d hot .
most fixed gb machines have a gb pot inside thats factory set for novice ,once outside warranty period theres nothing to loose by opening machine up and finding the pot and fine tuning it to the ground your on if you keep working the same patch .
i did that with my toltec 80 ,before correct gb was set it would struggle to register the silver crown managing just a choppy 4",then after adjustment it would air test 12" same as a 2p.
its only silver it seems . not just large silver ,as i can show adjusting gb parameters can also alter how hammies are picked up close to iron .
here is a video showing how my musketeer behaves with silver crown in fixed /manual gb modes . a perfect example .in real life detecting i find i get two inches more depth and find smaller targets .with 10" fitted its hitting airgun pellets .
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

i will do another video to show the iron unmasking effect of altering gb setting .
minelab ctx3030
minelab explorer se x2
deus full
rutus alter 71
Fisher F75 se dst
tx850 with mars sniper (g2 clone)

norfolksquit

Post by norfolksquit » Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:20 pm

GC-1023 wrote:i have owned many machines that had both a factory fixed /preset position and a manual gb setting ..most but not all set the preset to be friendly as possible to a novice user .
i,m not sure of the correct terminology for which way is positive /negative .
what i have found on most machines is this . when balanced correctly the machine is more sensitive to smaller targets ,but also then fools you with the occasional bent rusty nail .
by increasing sensitivity through ground balance adjustment its only natural machine is more sensitive to all signals including the iron ones with big halo's .
now if i turn the gb dial a bit clockwise the sensitivity gets even hotter but you start getting more spits and pops off iron and when a piece does get through its sound characteristics can be very different . the clipped sound becomes a more sweet one and your sure you have a big silver plate under the coil .
turn the gb dial anti -clockwise and you heading in the direction of most factory preset positions .
you will loose sensitivity to small stuff and possibly struggle to pick up a silver crown coin if your lucky enough to pass over one .
Note.
Machines with no option for manual ground balance have to decide to be set up begginner friendly slightly neg/ average gb/or slightly pos hammie hunter friendly ::g .
gb slightly negative with a piece of ferrite seems to be a common factory setting .
but i do think some companies have chosen to balance machines a bit hotter .
the golden mask gm1+ i have seems to be super sensitive but loves big bent nails and washers .
i dont mind i would rather dig six bits of iron each session if its gonna produce me more cut hammies .
if the garrett ace 250 finds airgun pellets then chances are its also set average gb/or slightly pos. i know they have rep for loving iron ,which may be because they are gb,d hot .
most fixed gb machines have a gb pot inside thats factory set for novice ,once outside warranty period theres nothing to loose by opening machine up and finding the pot and fine tuning it to the ground your on if you keep working the same patch .
i did that with my toltec 80 ,before correct gb was set it would struggle to register the silver crown managing just a choppy 4",then after adjustment it would air test 12" same as a 2p.
its only silver it seems . not just large silver ,as i can show adjusting gb parameters can also alter how hammies are picked up close to iron .
here is a video showing how my musketeer behaves with silver crown in fixed /manual gb modes . a perfect example .in real life detecting i find i get two inches more depth and find smaller targets .with 10" fitted its hitting airgun pellets .
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

i will do another video to show the iron unmasking effect of altering gb setting .
I did one put a external pot on a Garrett Ace 250 ground balance, gave up on it in the end. Been playingg with the ground balance on the 6mxi today, but using auto for now as does not do what the manaul says.....

ScotsmanInKent

Post by ScotsmanInKent » Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:36 pm

My take on the auto versus manual is that performance is good enough in auto.
I have used both manual and auto when first learning the machine, and now always use auto.
Manual to get potentially better performance I feel is too hot and can be a bit noisy depending on your field. In my experience also the "noisy" areas are the best ones.
In auto I have found many cut quarters and halves, I think because the 6mxi is a high frequency machine at 18KHZ it will be good at finding small bits as has a high recovery speeed. In auto you do sometimes get coke/iron with okish signals so auto cant be that cold I think. Also with the same settings on the same field I haver had very different results depending on the weather, I think detecting when the soil is damp gives much better signals than any changes in detector setup and if you detect the same permission several times you will eventually find what is there, especially if you revisit it after a plowing. What I do do is re balance fairly frequently by switching the machine on and off as soil conditions do vary across a permission.

SIK
2016 Finds:
3 Hammered
11 Roman
2 Milled silver
0 Sceat
0 Stater

Lots of scrap.......

Return to “CScope CS6MXI Forum”