Impressed with the CS6MXi :)

All discussion specific to the Cscope CS6MXI Metal Detector.
BritishBeef

Impressed with the CS6MXi :)

Post by BritishBeef » Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:33 am

I've had this detector for about 3 months now. Unfortunately I only get a chance to get out about once a month. Been out on 4 full day club digs now with the CS6MXi and I'm starting to get to grips with it now :)

Had some issues at first. As I mentioned before, my CS6MXi HATES my phone (HTC One M8) so it needs to be in Airplane mode so that the detector doesn't go absolutely haywire!

My first couple of digs were on a favourite club permission site where we have found lots of Roman stuff. It is iron infested (Roman hobnails galore) and has tons of rocks/stones both on the surface and throughout the soil. It's an absolute nightmare to dig on as a result and finds are generally quite shallow because of all the rock.

My previous machine (CS3MX) always did well on this site, getting the little grotty Roman coins with ease. However, it always falsed a lot on this land and was generally rather unstable and sensitively often needed to be turned down as low as half or lower! Most of us struggled with machine stability on this site regardless of machine though so it must be down to ground conditions.

My CS6MXi also struggled to be stable with lots of falsing on this site but I still managed to get the coins out and a fibula so happy but it was hard to get used to the machine and learn what it was telling me on ground conditions like that.

Next dig was on a rally on plowed land but it had a load of contamination (green waste) and so was getting loads of signals and it was a nightmare! One of the fields was clean so I started to get used to the machine a bit but then started getting interference from some source. Others were getting issues with their detectors in the same areas too so it wasn't the fault of the detector.

A couple of weeks ago I went on a club dig on pasture and for the first time, I really got to know the machine. The CS6MXi ran beautifully on this land. I could run it at full sensitivity. There was lots of foil on this site and I started to tell when it was going to be foil by the tone it gave. Interestingly, I am still hesitant to trust the signals when they weren't a 'sharp' tone. Several times the tone had a hazy edge with very slight iron grunt to the high tone. It made me wary and I was right to be as each time it was large iron. The machine was telling me it was junk and I didn't trust it.

Anyway, it was a joy to use, especially on 'normal' pasture without heavy mineralisation issues etc. and gave me a real taste of what the machine is capable of.

Some of the items I found were very deep. Way deeper than my CS3MX had ever detected.

One item in particular stood out. It was several inches down and took an absolute age to find, even with my Pro Pointer. When I eventually found it, it was a tiny chipped piece of what looked like bronze that couldn't have been bigger than a millimeter in length! I was gobsmacked. I had to check the hole several times because I just couldn't believe that flake of metal was what had been detected at such a depth!

So, very very happy with the CS6MXi and I'm very confident that if I walk over it, I'll find it :)

C-Scope CS6MXi
C-Scope CS3MX
Garrett Pro Pointer
http://www.somersetmetaldetecting.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

STIG

Re: Impressed with the CS6MXi :)

Post by STIG » Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:04 pm

Great read mate, I now love my 6Mxi ::g . Couple of things I'd like to make people aware of, I went on club dig on Sunday and a guy had a 6, he just bought it and wanted to detect with me ( Not Possible ) our machines were in constant conflict at even 30 yards apart ;;z , also read about a problem with the jackplug port for the phones, be careful when Stretching or Snagging the Cable or Plug itself as Neil ( the Mole MDF ) has had his damaged, they recommend a Right Angled adaptor which I think is a Brilliant idea as I've caught mine a couple of times, at least with the adaptor Jack it will have a chance and Swivel if caught and possibly not cause too much tension on the Plug itself ::g , you probably know this already but just thought I'd mention it ::g .
Sweeping the fields we have now with the 6Mxi is an absolute Pleasure, not just because it's light and well balanced due to the choice of control box positioning, but it's just a Stealthy Target Seeker that needs to be talked about, I've had a few targets which when dug ive thought there was absolutely nothing there :-/ and it's turned out to be so minuscule and at good Depth that even my pointer with a fresh battery has had trouble picking it up, the Mxi is Wicked for those Ickle tiny bits.
Another thing I'd recommend is getting a cover for the controls, but I think that should apply to all machines. Good Luck when out digging, look forward to seeing the Goods these machines are gonna produce in the future. ;)
Dirige Deus Gressus Meos. ' May the Lord Direct my Steps '

Etrac and Tons of Gear

Gold = 1
Silver = 14
Hammered = 1
Bronze = 1 Ring
Copper = 132 Coins
Musket Balls = 53
Bag Seals = 23
Artefacts = 7
Jetons = 1

BritishBeef

Post by BritishBeef » Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:40 pm

Thanks Stig ::g
On the cover thing, whilst I would never allow my machine to be out in torrential rain without a cover of some sort, the C-Scope's are very rugged. My CS3MX (same control box design) fell over into a deep puddle whilst I was digging once. I had no idea. I looked round to see the control box completely submerged!

I turned it upside down and a small amount of water escaped the speaker grill. As soon as I got home, I unscrewed the top cover and checked inside. It was bone dry :) . It continues to work to this day.

I used to have a purpose made cover for the CS3MX but it was far from water tight and in bad weather the control box would still get very wet inside. Same with a plastic bag due to condensation. Like I said, 3 years later, the 3MX is still going strong. I'm not going to get to hung up on it (especially with the British climate) and just enjoy the limited detecting I get to do ;)
C-Scope CS6MXi
C-Scope CS3MX
Garrett Pro Pointer
http://www.somersetmetaldetecting.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

weeder

Post by weeder » Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:37 pm

1.jpg
finds don't come much smaller than this baby ring my 6 mx plucked this from about 5-6 inch
i love my 6 mxi
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by weeder on Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
better a ping over a button than a fart over iron

..csope 6mxi

STIG

Post by STIG » Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:30 pm

Thanks for posting Weeder, that's a ring small enough to fit a Pixie. ;)
Dirige Deus Gressus Meos. ' May the Lord Direct my Steps '

Etrac and Tons of Gear

Gold = 1
Silver = 14
Hammered = 1
Bronze = 1 Ring
Copper = 132 Coins
Musket Balls = 53
Bag Seals = 23
Artefacts = 7
Jetons = 1

edmundy

Post by edmundy » Fri Dec 05, 2014 12:04 pm

I bought my 6mx as a back up...but then ended up using it all the time! I got it second hand for 250 in May, then paid the 31! pounds to the factory to get the arm holder which makes it so much better to use. My settings are GROUND-Auto (I'm still scared to start messing too much with this-advice gratefully received!) SENS 9-10 DISC 3 IRON VOLUME 10 DISC VOLUME 10. I think I got them from a Field test in the Searcher mag and am very happy with them. Just recently it confirmed that it can find the yellow stuff when it located a Richard the Second Noble and an Edward the third quarter Noble for me (photos of which are on the Ipswich coin of the Month October and November).Another nice recovery was a bulls headed Cosmetic/salt grinder. It's depth impresses me, with more than a few 'ghosts' becoming strong signals by just taking a scoop out. I still dig more iron than I would with my Whites but I can handle that and feel confident every time I go out into the field.

rab the ranter

Post by rab the ranter » Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:27 pm

A question for you 6 ers , I have a GMP and it loves coke even with the coke
Switch on, how does the 6 mxi cope with coke and is it east to distinguish it
From a good signal?.

BritishBeef

Post by BritishBeef » Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:08 pm

rab the ranter wrote:A question for you 6 ers , I have a GMP and it loves coke even with the coke
Switch on, how does the 6 mxi cope with coke and is it east to distinguish it
From a good signal?.
I experienced coke with my 6MX for the first time on my last dig. I dug it a couple of times but I really shouldn't have because it gave a slightly iffy tone but it was a little different to iron. So you don't get good tone with Coke. I felt like on the day, I could have recognised it after a while. Especially if the site was heavily contaminated with coke. Just my very limited experience and it may not be obvious on a different site with different ground conditions I guess.
C-Scope CS6MXi
C-Scope CS3MX
Garrett Pro Pointer

BEEPEE

Post by BEEPEE » Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:58 pm

I find that coke nearly always sounds of in the mid tones ,same as foil..Still waiting for a straight shaft for it to complete this brilliant machine.... ::g

rab the ranter

Post by rab the ranter » Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:10 am

I was wondering if the whites shaft that a few guys use for the GMP
Would be compatible with the CScope. Anyone know?.

ScotsmanInKent

Post by ScotsmanInKent » Sat Dec 06, 2014 1:01 pm

I am using the bent shaft with the arm cup at the end and have mounted the control box under the arm cup. I find this a pretty balanced setup. You cant use the pinpoint function easily that way but I find you dont really need it.

What are the advantages of the straight stem?

I agree with the comment about the headphones jack, it is best to use a right angled one.

Personally I find that I prefer the iron volume and discrimination at 4 or 5 and not 10 so you can hear the iron but it is always less loud than the ful tone. Also with these settings coke and foil are always an easy to distinguish mid tone. I dig much less coke with this detector than any other I have used, even in heavy contaminated sites. Yiou do dig deep and laerge iron and ring shaped etc when soil is wet, but I find i mostly know its iron but jyst check anyway. I haVENT SEEN A SINGLE DETECTOR NOT SOMETIMES FOoLED BY THIS TYPE of iron

I agree with others, it can find timy pieces at real depth.
I have found tweo deep sceats with it.
Also found two medieval and one celtic gold and a gold wire ring.
I am very impressed with this detector, only paid 300 quid for it second hand, no idea why someone would pay a grand for a detector when you get this sort of performance for this money.

I have detected regularly with another 6mx user and no interference and with about 6 other 6 mx users at club digs. One time did get big interference and with that detector we had to keep apart. Its a great detector. Like all detrectors it seems to work better in damp soil. I find the eliptical 11 inch coil uis the besty all round one. My mate uses the 13 inch and it gets about 1 inch to 2 inch more depth sometimes, but it is quite a but heaver for only an extra inch, and thats about 10 ionces over 9 inches on ine on a typical silver hammie.

SIK
2016 Finds:
3 Hammered
11 Roman
2 Milled silver
0 Sceat
0 Stater

Lots of scrap.......

Whatunearth

Post by Whatunearth » Sat Dec 06, 2014 1:48 pm

Hi there, ::g
Decided to air test the discrimination options verses the discrimination volume levels on the Cscope 6mx. I used a silver groat, half cut, quarter cut and a bit of tin foil about the size of a modern two pence and folded 3 times. Unfortunately I didn't have any coke so i could not do that part of the test.

As you can see from the table, large silver will always be a high to regardless of the discrimination level.
I used to run my 6mx open, discrimination 1 and discrimination volume 1. But now looking at the results on the table I might try this next time I can get out with it and set it to: ::g
Discrimination 4-5
Discrimination Volume 1
This will remove the foil and coke and give high tones for everything else.
Hope it helps.

Click to enlarge

Ill try and do the coke test if I can find any. :))

Thanks
Greg. ::g
He who dares wins!
E-trac
GMP
Minelab Safari with 12" Sunray coil.
Cscope 6mx
Garrett Pro-pointer

rab the ranter

Post by rab the ranter » Sat Dec 06, 2014 1:58 pm

If its coke your looking for, come up to my sites.
There's a piece every 10 feet at some places. Not fun.

Easternpromise

Post by Easternpromise » Sat Dec 06, 2014 5:38 pm

Hey britishbeef that rally wasn't on the outskirts of ipswich by any chance?
MINELAB ETRAC
DEUS LITE 9" COIL
13" ULTIMATE COIL
GARRETT PRO POINTER
EVOLUTION DIGGING KNIFE
SS BORDER SPADE
ROUGHNECK MINI SHOVEL
11" standard coil
Cp3 tt's

madproffesor

Post by madproffesor » Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:02 pm

Great reading and reviews on the 6mxi, thanks for posting these ::g
Good to see you are getting to grips with it, it all takes time. New years res. convince her indoors i really need one....... x;
Deus Full Kit. C/SCOPE 3MX.
Men and fish have one thing in common...
They both get into trouble when they open their mouths.

weeder

Post by weeder » Sun Dec 07, 2014 2:28 pm

this thread is a great read for them that use this machine

thanks for posting all
better a ping over a button than a fart over iron

..csope 6mxi

edmundy

Post by edmundy » Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:30 pm

I'm going out tomorrow weather permitting and will try those 'tweaks' to the disc and iron volume, cheers.

Return to “CScope CS6MXI Forum”