Leicester Yeomanry Button - Georgian?

Only topics related to Bounty Hunter metal detectors here, Please remember Off topic posts will be removed.
brianc

Leicester Yeomanry Button - Georgian?

Post by brianc » Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:37 pm

This is my first identifiable find that I have discovered using my Bounty Hunter Tracker IV on my stubble field, so I am pretty pleased.

There is a crown at the top and the letters L.Y underneath and I have identified this as most likely a Georgian Leicester Yeomanry button. It weighs 0.9g.

It fits as the location of the find is in Leicestershire.

I am wondering why this object would be found in a field - maybe it was used as a camp, a training ground or maybe a general passage through to somewhere on horseback?

This is what it looked like when I found it by the way, taken under my 300x microscope:

Not having any idea of any legible markings when I captured the image, I now see that the crown is at the nine o'clock position in this photo.

A bit of a bathe in my home made electrolysis tub and a bit of tooth paste brought out the detail.

I have another button that I found about ten feet away and this has the very same style of the crown, although I am struggling to identify any other markings on it at the moment.

Found with my bounty Hunter Tracker IV, discrimination at 12 o'clock in Tone mode, sensitivity at five o'clock and at a depth of 4" in damp clay soil. It still gave a really good signal with the discrimination at maximum.
Last edited by brianc on Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wandering off to the fields with my Makro Racer 2.

Although, I enjoyed the walk with my Bounty Hunter Tracker IV!

Dave The Slave

Re: Leicester Yeomanry Button - Georgian?

Post by Dave The Slave » Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:00 pm

Well done Brian!
Good when you find something you can identify, as you say looks to be Georgian from a button website. 200 years old ::g
Keep searching, more to come.
Dave.
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Garrett 400 I

brianc

Post by brianc » Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:15 pm

Thanks Dave, the going is slow on this field but I am living in hope!

I tried the land next to the road last week and all I dug where cans and ring pulls off cans of Red Bull etc.

I think that the field has been disked or something as the stubble has been flattened and there appears to be a new layer of soil of about two inches.

I got almost no signals after three hours of searching on Friday afternoon and I think I have mentioned that there has been no ploughing on this land for a while due to crop rotation.

There is about to be some digging work in order to build some farm annexes, so I am hopeful of being able to dig a bit deeper by going over the spoil heaps.

I'll keep you posted!

Saffron

Post by Saffron » Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:53 pm

I fully agree that this is an old Leicester Yeomanry Button.
I suspect possibly an early one.
A nice local find, well done.

There is plenty of information about the Leicester Yeomanry online. But in summary it was formed in 1794 when there were fears of an invasion by the French. During the 19th century it only did a bit of "local peace keeping". In 1900 it took part in the 2nd Boar War. As would be expected it saw dervice in WWI, including in both the 1st Battle of the Somme (1914) and the 2nd Battle of the Somme (1915 where the regiment gained battle honours for the Battle of St Julien and the Battle of Frezenberg, where a squadron of the regiment held the line for its entire brigade (well worth reading up on by anybody with even the slightest interst).

I will also say you have done a fantastic job cleaning it up, very well done.

If you look at the back you could well see a makers backstamp (the bulk of military and livery buttons have them), by looking at http://www.ukdfd.co.uk/pages/button-makers.html you could well be able to get a good indication of when it was made (often firms that are a couple of hundred years old changed the backmarks several times so depending on what the stamp is narrows down the date range).

Even if it does not have a backmark putting up a picture of the back on here will allow the experts to give a general idea of when it was made.

As for your question "I am wondering why this object would be found in a field - maybe it was used as a camp, a training ground or maybe a general passage through to somewhere on horseback?". Yes all of these are possibilities !! Sometimes you can get very lucky and find documentary evidence, for some older militias I have found where and when they mustered, so it might be worth a search online or visiting museums. But as the name implies the bulk of the unit were Yeomen, so it could be just a local one losing the buton on his way to / from a camp or training some distance away. However, if the one 10' away is the same its more likely to imply a camp or training rather than "passing through" in my view.

In your other post you say "I am hopeful of being able to dig a bit deeper by going over the spoil heaps." Make sure you do as they ca be well worth a look ::g

Evan

brianc

Post by brianc » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:14 pm

Saffron wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:53 pm
I fully agree that this is an old Leicester Yeomanry Button.
I suspect possibly an early one.
A nice local find, well done.

If you look at the back you could well see a makers backstamp (the bulk of military and livery buttons have them), by looking at http://www.ukdfd.co.uk/pages/button-makers.html you could well be able to get a good indication of when it was made (often firms that are a couple of hundred years old changed the backmarks several times so depending on what the stamp is narrows down the date range).

Even if it does not have a backmark putting up a picture of the back on here will allow the experts to give a general idea of when it was made.
Hi Evan and thank you very much for suggesting that I look on the underside of the button.

Well, I found another Leicester Yeomanry button today, exactly the same but in better condition although the crown is slightly bent in.

I have yet to give it full throttle in my electrolysis bath but it is obvious that there is a mark on the reverse and the pin is present although bent inward.

I have given it a bath in plain water and worked it a little with a tooth brush.

It definitely reads Birmingham at the bottom and then there is a marking at the top that I believe starts with H and ends in Co.

The Birmingham lettering at the bottom is from about the 8.30 o'clock position and running anticlockwise to around the 3.30 o'clock mark.

The H mark at the top is probably at around 10 o'clock and runs clockwise to the 2 o'clock position. Not sure what other letters are there, but a further clean may reveal more.

I double checked this with my original button find and it also has Birmingham at the bottom and the letter H and Co. at the top.

brianc

Post by brianc » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:10 pm

I have got sufficient detail on the reverse of the buttons and it reads HILL & Co on both of them.

That link that you attached from the UKDFD site is a very useful resource and thanks for that.

However, I cannot find anything that relates to HILL & Co for either Birmingham or other region.

I found an image of the exact same button which suggest that they are Georgian.

http://www.paoyeomanry.co.uk/ButtonsLYLDY.htm

It is the last but one row at the bottom of the page and the button on the right for definite.

I'm going to dig a bit further inside using my laptop for now, as digging outside with my detector is cancelled due to the monsoon :-L

Lowland

Post by Lowland » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:48 pm

Nice work,there a yeomanry belt buckle out there somewhere!
Shiny equinox600- taped up spade-dodgy elbow
.....................deeper bliss......................

Dave The Slave

Post by Dave The Slave » Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:13 pm

Hi Brian,
being from a Birmingham family, like to try and find out about the history of Brum. Grace`s guide 1835, lists a Samuel Hill, 20 Great Charles St as a button maker. On another website there is a Richard Hill of 14 Thomas Street listed as a button maker.
Could be one of those.
Cheers,
Dave,
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Garrett 400 I

brianc

Post by brianc » Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:27 pm

That's fantastic and a great piece of research work.

I will look into the maker with that in mind.

Off topic, but by the way, I was a sales order processor when I left school and couldn't fit Birmingham into the spaces that I had left on the computer input screen for the delivery address, so I put Brum in instead.

This was before postcodes and SATNAV but everyone knows where Brum is, right?

Wrong! Driver ended up about 300 miles away for some reason - I got told off a little bit for that!

Lowland

Post by Lowland » Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:28 pm

Hi Brianc again,
On the subject of yeomanry ,apparently,I read somewhere a lot of it was an excuse for the local toffs to swan about the ball room like a stuffed peacock impressing the ladies.(google the uniforms some are incredible).
Awesome,where do I sign up?
Cheers the noo
Shiny equinox600- taped up spade-dodgy elbow
.....................deeper bliss......................

brianc

Post by brianc » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:37 pm

Lowland wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:28 pm
Hi Brianc again,
On the subject of yeomanry ,apparently,I read somewhere a lot of it was an excuse for the local toffs to swan about the ball room like a stuffed peacock impressing the ladies.(google the uniforms some are incredible).
Awesome,where do I sign up?
Cheers the noo
I will look into that, sounds like a plan.

Many thanks.

Brian

Return to “Bounty Hunter Forum”