First time out with a new detector

Only topics related to Bounty Hunter metal detectors here, Please remember Off topic posts will be removed.
sgoody1

First time out with a new detector

Post by sgoody1 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:04 pm

Hi all,
I am not sure if anyone is interested, but this might be useful to newbies, in terms of my experience.
As I have mentioned, I was offered the trial use of a Costco Bounty Hunter Discovery 2200.

My sister kindly dropped it round this afternoon, and eager go, I rushed out, bought the required 9v batteries, and then set about trying to work out how to use it.

Testing it out on some coins in the garden, I soon got the hang of it, and then went further into the wooded area of our garden, that is beyond the main garden perimeter, and rarely used.
Only had 1/2 an hour before dinner, and made 2 finds.

One. the first, was an earring at about 2 inches deep. Its not nice, but it shows this machine does work, and will deliver finds.

The second was a weird looking piece of metal, that came out pretty brown (also about 2 inches deep), and looks like a worthless hunk, but it was my second find ever, so I kept it.

At home I gave that a clean, and brush with a wire brush, and it started to look more like a piece of metal! Its not that heavy.

https://picr.me/image/VMWgws
https://picr.me/image/VMWSph

Any thoughts on what the metal is?

Anyway, I found the bending down and digging hard work, and made me feel a little light-headed every time I then stood up - do you just get used to that, and I probably need a longer trowel!!

It was just a quick half hour trial, so looking forward to my next outing!

Easylife

Re: First time out with a new detector

Post by Easylife » Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:15 am

The earring is silver and maybe amber. The blob if quite light weight is maybe aluminium that's been in a fire. Give it another go and hopefully find something deeper than 2". Trowel? - You need a decent spade. And if you get a head spin from just bending over then maybe you just need to do more regular exercise? :D ::g
Nox 800, 15" coil & Garrett carrot.
White's TDI SL

Dave The Slave

Post by Dave The Slave » Sat Apr 27, 2019 2:16 pm

Well done on your discoveries.
The earring was a bonus to find so early on.
Cheers, ::g
Dave.
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Garrett 400 I

stupot

Post by stupot » Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:17 pm

Well done......

fred

Post by fred » Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:07 pm

Silver and amber first time out, most impressive. :D
Equinox 800 x2

Bors

Post by Bors » Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:14 pm

Well done M8 at least you found something.Carry on the good work. ::g

sgoody1

Post by sgoody1 » Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:45 pm

2nd time out with the detector....

Hot on the heals of yesterdays success, I was out there again this afternoon, having read up a bit more on to how to be more successful. I had no discrimination on yesterday, so it was bleeping like mad, whereas today, I did change the settings and that was a big help.

Still ended up spending some time unearthing tin can tops, and finding a vintage Fosters been can, but otherwise had some modest success. I actually was over the moon when my first find of the day was a 1918 George V sixpence, and soon after that a Victorian Shilling (I think), plus an old and new currency penny. They were all fairly shallow 2-3 inches deep.

The only main downside was I have worn away a bit of skin in my palm while issuing the trowel. I was wearing very thing gloves - but I am sure there is a better technique to avoid that, maybe one of those small trowels with a foot piece eg Black Ada Invader?

And would I do so much better with a better machine eg 400i?

All comments - good and bad, appreciated.
https://picr.me/image/VM2NQ8
https://picr.me/image/VM2o6D
https://picr.me/image/VM2it3
https://picr.me/image/VM2T9b
https://picr.me/image/VM2762

GeorgeMK

Post by GeorgeMK » Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:20 am

A lot of people use a small spade for digging. I use a Roughneck micro shovel, only £10 from Wickes. If you have an angle grinder sharpen the blade edge so it will cut through turf and thin roots easier.

https://www.wickes.co.uk/Roughneck-Micr ... t/p/139275

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 » Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:26 am

Well done ::g Your obviously getting the hang of things but you definitely need to replace the trowel to make your searching both easier and more enjoyable. Perhaps you'll spot something to suit you Here.
Good Luck - Regards ss47 ::g
A disservice is no service at all.

sgoody1

Post by sgoody1 » Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:46 pm

Day 2 wasn't so hot!
Apart from a few cans, spent a lot of time digging up two modern 1pence, and a 2 pence. Also found a badly corroded 1/2 penny Edward VII, but can't make out the date. And a fairly modern silver locket (with the word SILVER stamped on the back.
Still using the 2200, which seems to do fine (I am finding things) - just would be good to compare to something better to understand what the difference would be.

Easylife

Post by Easylife » Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:53 am

The silvers are quite decent finds. ::g I did advise you to use a decent spade so not at all surprised that you have got a blister from struggling with a little trowel, but we all learn from experience. :D ::g
I notice that the theme seems to be only making finds at 2 inches deep? Well let's just say that it's not the best detector, but I think that you perhaps already figured that out? x; ::g
White's TDI SL

Easylife

Post by Easylife » Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:06 am

sgoody1 wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:45 pm
Would I do so much better with a better machine eg 400i?
All comments - good and bad, appreciated.
Well you've clearly figured out how to post links to images so now you just need to post different links that will make the actual images appear in the post. What you need to do is just click on 'Embed codes', and just paste the BBcode straight into your posting which would then make the actual images appear directly in your posts. I say this as I know that it's a pretty tough learning curve to start with. ::g

"Would I do so much better with a better machine eg 400i?"
Well it's a big 'YES' from me. ::g :D

You're doing surprisingly fine with your limited resources so I wonder just what luck you would have with a far better detector? ::g
White's TDI SL

Easylife

Post by Easylife » Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:22 am

sgoody1 wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:46 pm
Day 2 wasn't so hot!
Apart from a few cans, ...............And a fairly modern silver locket (with the word SILVER stamped on the back.
I for one would rather see some pics of the silver locket than those of some trashy cans anyday? x;
White's TDI SL

Dave The Slave

Post by Dave The Slave » Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:49 am

Hello,
Not sure how the Bounty Hunter 2200, compares to the Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, which I have had for 14 years and still use for dry sand beach, but when I got my first inland permission realised I needed a machine with extra depth and went for the 400i when they came out over 2 years ago. Depth is far better and resulted in some interesting finds. Was originally going to get the Ace 250 but with finds from the BH on the beach had enough for the 400i which has a larger coil than the 250, although the controls are basically the same.
Must say you have done really well so far but remember items had to be lost in the 1st place and then you need to walk over them.
Good Luck, ::g
Dave.
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Garrett 400 I

sgoody1

Post by sgoody1 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:05 pm

Easylife wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:53 am
The silvers are quite decent finds. ::g I did advise you to use a decent spade so not at all surprised that you have got a blister from struggling with a little trowel, but we all learn from experience. :D ::g
I notice that the theme seems to be only making finds at 2 inches deep? Well let's just say that it's not the best detector, but I think that you perhaps already figured that out? x; ::g
You are right on both counts.
Yesterday I went and bought myself a "Roughneck Micro Shaft Round Point Shovel".
I had looked at some reviews, and was contemplating a Black Ada Invader, but that was about £30.
There was a recommendation somewhere for the Roughneck, and on Amazon it was about £18, but I also found it at Screwfix for £9.99, which seemed a bargain, so went and bought it, and what a difference that makes!! More digging and no blisters!!

On the Detector, I think I am having enough fun to make it worthwhile giving the Bounty Hunter back and getting a better one. Still not sure which, but I think I may go with the 400i, as it looks easy to use, and has quite good reviews. Any other thoughts welcome!
I have been out this evening and made some more interesting finds. Besides a few £1, a £2, some penny, a dog cage etc - I did also find what I think may just be a roman spoon!!

I will post the pictures later.

sgoody1

Post by sgoody1 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:43 pm

I have had a go at posting the pictures directly:

Very keen to know if the spoon is anything worthwhile - I did find it quite deep, about 4 inches, maybe 5.

Also, and ideas what the little orange things are, I have found these in different places, they all have those lines on them and seem to be made of the same metal.

Should I now be posting on the FINDS section, or is it too soon to be doing that?

Easylife

Post by Easylife » Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:44 pm

I'm pleased that you took my critical comments the way that they were intended - but you did say “All comments - good and bad, appreciated.” :D
The Roughneck mini shovel is a good buy and quite practical for travel, though you should also try out a full size border spade as it will make digging easier and save your back, though each to their own of course. I modified a cheap square edged stainless steel one with an angle grinder as my spare.
I've known friends to make many regular impressive finds with their 400i's, though if you can stretch to a used Nox 600 then you won't regret it.
You are doing so well so just what will you be like with a top-end detector?
Enjoy. ::g
P.s. We want to see the silver locket too! x;
White's TDI SL

sgoody1

Post by sgoody1 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:55 pm

Easylife wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:44 pm
I'm pleased that you took my critical comments the way that they were intended - but you did say “All comments - good and bad, appreciated.” :D

P.s. We want to see the silver locket too! x;
Here it is.
Any thoughts on its age, or what it is?

sgoody1

Post by sgoody1 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:01 am

Easylife wrote:
I
I've known friends to make many regular impressive finds with their 400i's, though if you can stretch to a used Nox 600 then you won't regret it.
Y
I have had a look - the Nox 600 is double the price of the 400i.

If it was really felt it is so much better, I would spend that - but what really is the difference in the machines? Why are you voting for the 600?

Easylife

Post by Easylife » Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:18 am

sgoody1 wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:01 am
Easylife wrote:
I
Y
I have had a look - the Nox 600 is double the price of the 400i.

If it was really felt it is so much better, I would spend that - but what really is the difference in the machines? Why are you voting for the 600?
PM sent to avoid breaching MDF rules. :))
White's TDI SL

Easylife

Post by Easylife » Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:20 am

sgoody1 wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:55 pm
Any thoughts on its age, or what it is?
It's not too old but I quite like it. ::g
White's TDI SL

SuperRed

Post by SuperRed » Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:00 pm

sgoody1 wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:04 pm
Hi all,
I am not sure if anyone is interested, but this might be useful to newbies, in terms of my experience.
As I have mentioned, I was offered the trial use of a Costco Bounty Hunter Discovery 2200.
Hi sgoody

From your first few posts (including the Tudor spoon) it seems that you are already pulling up the nice pieces and getting 'bitten' by the bug.

The detector that you are trialing is a pretty basic machine and I agree with Easylife's comments above:
Easylife wrote:
The Equinox is a superb machine, but in my opinion the 400i would be perfect for the stage you are at (and a lot less expensive). If you are considering s/h, I saw one for sale from a reputable dealer in one of this month’s mags for £220 with a guarantee. The 400i has a lot of options, proven track record, and a lot easier to ‘master’ than the Equinox.

Just a personal opinion, but if you take the time to learn it the Equinox is brilliant.

Brad
Brad

Equinox 800
Garrett Ace 400i
C-Scope 1220b

“My life has been full of terrible misfortunes most of which never happened.”
"It doesn't matter what you do, just do something: Don't just kill time whilst time is killing you"

Return to “Bounty Hunter Forum”