CS4PI First Session

All discussion specific to the Cscope CS4PI Metal Detector.
Goldstar

CS4PI First Session

Post by Goldstar » Sun Mar 20, 2016 4:50 pm

I bought the CS4PI this week and went out this morning for the first time.
Having read the manual front to back a couple of times during the week and watched several videos as well, it was very straight forward to set-up and use.

I was detecting on wet, damp and semi-damp sand which worked perfectly well. I set the controls so the detector was almost silent and wearing headphones as this really helped in hearing the slightest of sounds.
Within a few minutes I picked up a very faint sound, a good 2 feet later I was still digging, turned out to be a small piece of metal in the end.I found several tent pegs and my first £1 coin, which is now clean and ready to be put back into circulation.

Although not really a long session, the two and half hours or so just flew by.
When I detected the £1 coin, it was a very strong signal as It was just a couple of inches below the surface. When I swung the head of the metal detector over the target, I got the idea it was a small object as the signal was confined to a very small area. With more experience it may be possible to know at least how large an object is even though you have no idea of what the object is. (Perhaps someone more experienced can qualify this?)
I'm super impressed with this detector, the depth of detection is excellent as well as it's operation.

Garrett ACE250 - CS4Pi

bobhope

Re: CS4PI First Session

Post by bobhope » Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:53 pm

Glad you enjoyed your first day out with your CS4PI, lots more fun to come, good luck.

bob.
Beach Relic Hunter, located in the Northeast of England.
Minelab CTX3030, Whites dual field PI, Garrett Pro-pointer, JR sand scoop and lots of digging tools.

Digemdeep

Post by Digemdeep » Sun Mar 20, 2016 9:11 pm

I too have just got a 4pi and had my first beach session yesterday.
Excellent machine and so simple to use. Goes very deep on the wet sand, with no chatter or falsing.
Can't wait to get back on the sand.
I was reading in another post that rings give a double beep with the 4pi, if not too deep. Hopefully other targets can be identified after much practice.
Enjoy.

loopylee

Post by loopylee » Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:52 pm

ive just had my first outing with my new cs4pi, ive had an ace250 for 2 or 3 years and get on well with it but its not good on damp sand. The cs4ip was very easy to set up and use. Only problem was there were very few targets on the beach today. First hole was a lump of rusty iron 18" deep amongst some chalk rocks. second target was a scrap of aluminium. After 4 hours i had 3 tent pegs, 5 aluminium nuggets, 6 bottle tops, a ring pull and a 1p. It didnt take long to work out what was likely to be iron pipe and what could be something interesting. Even though i didnt find anything of value i still had a good day and will be back on the beach soon.

Goldstar

Post by Goldstar » Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:55 pm

Hello loopylee – Your first outing sounds identical to my session today. Not been out for some time but the weather today was actually quite good. Like you I had very few targets, but dug up a few nails, piece of wire, rusty piece of metal and gave up digging on one occasion as the hole was getting very deep and just couldn’t find it.The CS4PI without question detects very deep so feel confident that it will find coins/rings ETC when searching in the right area. I think a pointer device is going to be my next purchase and plan to take a larger spade with me to help with the digging.
Garrett ACE250 - CS4Pi

Bully1970

Post by Bully1970 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:04 pm

Love my CS4PI, been using it for about a year.

The iron gives a different sound to other metals, I'm usually looking for iron so it pays for me know what it sounds like.

I set mine at 3 o clock off I go, tried a few other setting but that seems to be the best for where I am.

Good luck, they dont miss much and you will need some ibuprofen for your back after digging so much! sw;

Goldstar

Post by Goldstar » Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:42 pm

I was at the beach again this week and found a £1 coin, 20 pence piece and a couple of pennies, as well tent pegs and couple of ring pulls.
This time i set the pulse frequency control to position 3 and adjusting the sensitivity control until the tone had silenced, all seem fine and detected deep as usual.
Hope to be out again this week, this time wearing thermals as it was pretty cold yesterday.
Garrett ACE250 - CS4Pi

Goldstar

Post by Goldstar » Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:52 pm

Another couple of hours under my belt with my CS4PI over the weekend, found fishing weights, hooks, nails, bullet casings and a dog tag. All good so far and looking forward to finding my first ring.With the control box not being waterproof, I think a cover is going to be needed at some point.
Just thinking if a clear plastic bag would work, as this would still give you access to the controls.
Garrett ACE250 - CS4Pi

Digemdeep

Post by Digemdeep » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:09 pm

Goldstar wrote:Another couple of hours under my belt with my CS4PI over the weekend, found fishing weights, hooks, nails, bullet casings and a dog tag. All good so far and looking forward to finding my first ring.With the control box not being waterproof, I think a cover is going to be needed at some point.
Just thinking if a clear plastic bag would work, as this would still give you access to the controls.
Yes, a great beach machine.
I clip the control box to my belt when near the wet sand or water, other times I use a "delux" food bag which allows me to move the controls and protects against rain. Also, it protects the control box against muddy gloves and sand ingress.

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:44 pm

Digemdeep wrote:
Goldstar wrote:Another couple of hours under my belt with my CS4PI over the weekend, found fishing weights, hooks, nails, bullet casings and a dog tag. All good so far and looking forward to finding my first ring.With the control box not being waterproof, I think a cover is going to be needed at some point.
Yes, a great beach machine.
I clip the control box to my belt when near the wet sand or water, other times I use a "delux" food bag which allows me to move the controls and protects against rain. Also, it protects the control box against muddy gloves and sand ingress.
That's the way! - improvisation, no expense involved!! ::g Good Luck mate ss47
A disservice is no service at all.

Bully1970

Post by Bully1970 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:23 pm

I think different ;))

You can get covers for them, I have one on mine. As much as I feel a beach machine control box should be waterproof when you buy it, I dont think a plastic bag is fitting to cover it with.

I cant remember where I got mine but it was £20 or so and well worth the investment. I know if it falls into the wet sand it will survive.

Resurgam

Post by Resurgam » Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:08 pm

A superb machine for wet saline sand gents. That is providing you don't mind digging loads of iron. I had to pass my CS4PI on due to old age creeping up on me and finding that I no longer had enough get up and go for all that digging for iron.
Garrett ProPointer + MineLab Safari + Quest Q40, and loads of determination.

Digemdeep

Post by Digemdeep » Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:02 pm

Resurgam wrote:A superb machine for wet saline sand gents. That is providing you don't mind digging loads of iron. I had to pass my CS4PI on due to old age creeping up on me and finding that I no longer had enough get up and go for all that digging for iron.
It all that digging for iron that keeps us young and fit no matter what our age :)

Resurgam

Post by Resurgam » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:38 pm

:D ::g

Bully1970

Post by Bully1970 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:01 am

I love my CS4PI, had to get a PI as normal machines just false all the time in the mineralised wet sand over here. Was like herding cats detecting with my other machines, I nearly gave up I was digging so many holes with nowt in them.

Now I dig just as many but they always have something in them, not always what I want but always a target :D

landuse

Post by landuse » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:50 am

I too have a CS4PI, and really love it. I have found that you can generally tell the difference between coins and longer targets like bobby pins and tent pegs. The longer items give a double tone when you move over them. 95% of the time i can tell what the target is going to be now. I haven't found that rings give a double tone though, just a single short sharp tone like a coin.

I have bought myself a shoulder harness for the detector (like the Detecting Buddy), and this has allowed me to detect for hours without any problem, as the detector is slightly heavier than others.

As to using a plastic bag over the control box, I do it all the time. I just slip it over and tie a knot at the bottom. Because i detect in calf or knee deep water sometimes, waves can cause water to spray on the detector, and the plastic bag definitely saves it. I also have the official cover, but it is open at the bottom so spray will still get in. I highly recommend using a bag, as you can still turn the dials etc. A good scoop is also a winner, because using a spade with this detector can start taxing the muscles :D

Resurgam

Post by Resurgam » Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:49 pm

I did love my CS4PI and I can't recall it ever falsing on me. It also worked beautifully on wet saline beach sand. I did notice that it gave a double blip on small targets that were close to the surface but the same target at a greater depth would give a single blp; short sharp and crisp.

With iron, perhaps surrounded by a halo, the signal would be more prolonged. A superb machine on the cleaner beaches. As a test run, I once chased a gents gold wedding ring deep down. On the surface the ring gave a double blip and did so as I continued to place the ring deeper; until eventually it turned to a single blip and then disappeared but winding up the right hand setting brought the signal back. ::g

Return to “CScope CS4PI Forum”