The importance of search coil weight?

Topics related to Nexus metal detectors here, Off topic posts will be removed.
NEXUS Videos
sweepstick47

Re: The importance of search coil weight?

Post by sweepstick47 » Thu May 18, 2017 9:12 pm

liamnolan wrote:
Thu May 18, 2017 6:46 pm
Option 1
Large heavy coil that will detect a tin can at 17 inches b;=+
Option 2
Light coil that will detect same can at 12 inches B-)

Choose Option 1 if you want to find more tin cans, wreck your back and spend most of your detecting time in a hole.
Choose option 2 if you want to move around all day, still find the good targets and feel no arm pain later on in the pub.

People buy heavy big coils right from the start and never get to know how to use a "normal" sized coil. They assume Big is Better but not always, in detecting anyway =)) Liam
Hello Liam,
I like the intended 'slant' on the subject :)) but you are so right with your comment:-
Extract:-
People buy heavy big coils right from the start and never get to know how to use a "normal" sized coil. They assume Big is Better but not always, in detecting anyway =)) Liam
[/quote]

Not saying anything about your last remark...........but I'm smiling! Regards ss47
Arado 130 - Garrett Groundhog - Tesoro Eldorado - Fisher 1265X - Goldmax Power Makro Racer. Homemade Harness!

Bargeman

Post by Bargeman » Thu May 18, 2017 9:33 pm

Personally I think the coil weight issue alone is misleading, balance is the key. You could have the heaviest or lightest coil on the end of the stick, but if it is not balanced it will feel wrong and so could cause discomfort.
Some of the newer detectors like the Nokta Impact maybe heavier overall than some of the other more popular brands, but the balance is damn near perfect and so the whole detector feels lighter than it really is. I have noticed this with a couple of other brands too. One of the reasons I like the Goldmaxx power with the control box fitted to the stem, is because it helps to balance out using different coils.

BM [:)
XP Goldmaxx Power + 9" coil & WS2 + WS3 wireless phones
NEL Sharpshooter
NEL Tornado
and Mud.

Rutus Alter 71

Filternozzle

Post by Filternozzle » Fri May 19, 2017 3:32 pm

If you want to use a larger coil to gain in ground coverage, weight becomes an important issue for some, so the lighter the better. Balance can be adjusted by adding weight at the appropriate point.
I use the Updated NEXUS MP & Minelab GPX-5000 ::g

Return to “NEXUS Forum”