I'm going to need a bigger box!! What do you do with your finds?

Related topics on metal detecting finds storage and display.
sgoody1

I'm going to need a bigger box!! What do you do with your finds?

Post by sgoody1 »

Looks like I might be doing a bit more detectoring while everything is in lock-down!

My finds box has just reached capacity.

What do you all normally do with these kinds of finds (old pennies that are not in great condition / bits of shrapnel, musket balls, old rifle cartridges in poor condition etc....)?

And all the modern currency that is also in bad condition - can I just take it all to a bank?

All the older coins in reasonable shape, eg silver sixpences etc, I have put into a small coin album.

I would be interested to know what everyone does with their less interesting finds.
3633D780-C871-4457-A23C-F5D7453286AA.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

fred

Re: I'm going to need a bigger box!! What do you do with your finds?

Post by fred »

Become selective, give the junk away to anybody who is remotely interested and visit the scrap merchant frequently. All of which I don't do enough of and am consequently pemanently unable to use either my work room or the shed! ::g

Tidying up my detector finds is so far down my 'things to do' list that Coronavirus would have to go on for half a century before it would even be withing hailing distance of actually getting done. There are far more interesting things to do like rearranging the pebbles on my front garden (Friday) and painting all the neighbours houses (2 in progress and more getting lined up all the time). :D
Equinox 800 x2

PinkFloyd

Post by PinkFloyd »

Take the coins out, bin the rest ::g
Doctor - you’ve got 5 minutes to live
Me - Listen to comfortably numb
Doctor - but that’s 9 minutes
God - it’s ok

Bors

Post by Bors »

Any old coins and bits that seem interesting but unidentifiable I keep in containers, same with Artifacts I keep ,but scrap metal pieces I put in separate Toffee tins such as you get at Christmas and They are kept in the shed till I have enough to weigh in at the scrap yard.
Beware of the Man who shoots with only One gun.

haggz

Post by haggz »

i know im fairly new to this hobby but would recommend that any folded lead is checked for any hidden coins. did see a post on this
equinox 800
makro pinpointer

andiron

Post by andiron »

Go around fields and throw the unwanted away, there is like 90% of detectorists here that still trying to find something beyong 19th century ;))

sgoody1

Post by sgoody1 »

andiron wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:57 pm
Go around fields and throw the unwanted away, there is like 90% of detectorists here that still trying to find something beyong 19th century ;))
I am sure what I am digging up is detectorists discarded finds!!! B|

sgoody1

Post by sgoody1 »

haggz wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:54 pm
i know im fairly new to this hobby but would recommend that any folded lead is checked for any hidden coins. did see a post on this
Is that a thing? Why would people hide a coin inside lead?

sgoody1

Post by sgoody1 »

Bors wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:37 pm
Any old coins and bits that seem interesting but unidentifiable I keep in containers, same with Artifacts I keep ,but scrap metal pieces I put in separate Toffee tins such as you get at Christmas and They are kept in the shed till I have enough to weigh in at the scrap yard.
How much of this stuff do you need to make it worth the visit - is it like a dustbin load, or a few Quality Street size tins worth? And roughly what would you get per quality street tin - is it worth the journey?

haggz

Post by haggz »

sgoody1 wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:12 pm
haggz wrote:
it is true. there was a post on here a few weeks ago. some good pictures of a coin lurking in the folds of lead.
equinox 800
makro pinpointer

JBM

Post by JBM »

Identify the good items.

Sort out the Brass,Copper and Lead which is sold for Children`s Hospice South West.

I then catalogue the good items and box them up in trays for the farmers and friends to view and pass down to future generations to enjoy.

Over the many years I have been detecting once in a while something really special comes up out of the blue and and these few items now reside in museums.

Happy Hunting.

Jerry.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

john Colin

Post by john Colin »

sgoody1 wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:14 pm
Bors wrote:
How much of this stuff do you need to make it worth the visit - is it like a dustbin load, or a few Quality Street size tins worth? And roughly what would you get per quality street tin - is it worth the journey?
To give you some idea, this lot fetched £124 a couple of weeks ago.
I wonder if the value of the scrap in the ground in Britons fields and riverbeds is worth more than the gold and silver.
IMGP0178.jpg

Bors

Post by Bors »

u;@ u;@ thats exactly what I mean .
Beware of the Man who shoots with only One gun.

Oxgirl36

Post by Oxgirl36 »

sgoody1 wrote:
haggz wrote:
Be careful as folded lead often holds dangerous lead dust inside. Chances of finding a coin? Small. Unfolding it an inhaling lead oxide? High.

Most folded lead is obviously not hiding anything anyway but please do take care ::g
Carpe vinum

XP Deus !!£$ I use the HOT programme on 17khz, reactivity at 2.5 on v5.21 with the X35 11” coil

Phil2401

Post by Phil2401 »

All my junk will be inherited by my daughter, who despite emigrating to New Zealand over 15 years ago has left all her junk here and refuses to let me get rid of it.

Phil
Quaerite et invenietis

XP Deus

PinkFloyd

Post by PinkFloyd »

sgoody1 wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:14 pm
Bors wrote:
It’s £25 a ton

So I reckon you’d get 3p :D
Doctor - you’ve got 5 minutes to live
Me - Listen to comfortably numb
Doctor - but that’s 9 minutes
God - it’s ok

sgoody1

Post by sgoody1 »

Oxgirl36 wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:38 pm
sgoody1 wrote:
haggz wrote:
Be careful as folded lead often holds dangerous lead dust inside. Chances of finding a coin? Small. Unfolding it an inhaling lead oxide? High.

Most folded lead is obviously not hiding anything anyway but please do take care ::g
Damn - I seem to find a lot of lead - thats all going straight in the bin! I normally clean it and put it in my tin, but I had no idea it could be dangerous.
Thanks for the warning - I hope I havent breathed in too much!

sgoody1

Post by sgoody1 »

Phil2401 wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:52 pm
All my junk will be inherited by my daughter, who despite emigrating to New Zealand over 15 years ago has left all her junk here and refuses to let me get rid of it.

Phil
I think thats brilliant - genius idea.

sgoody1

Post by sgoody1 »

JBM wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:29 pm
Identify the good items.

Sort out the Brass,Copper and Lead which is sold for Children`s Hospice South West.

I then catalogue the good items and box them up in trays for the farmers and friends to view and pass down to future generations to enjoy.

Over the many years I have been detecting once in a while something really special comes up out of the blue and and these few items now reside in museums.

Happy Hunting.

Jerry.
That collection looks great - I really havent found much worth displaying like that. Maybe my musket balls are interesting, and I found part of a WW1 anti-aircraft missile which I think is my favourite find.
Thanks for sharing your finds.

JBM

Post by JBM »

sgoody1 wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:09 pm
JBM wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:29 pm
Identify the good items.

Happy Hunting.

Jerry.
That collection looks great - I really havent found much worth displaying like that. Maybe my musket balls are interesting, and I found part of a WW1 anti-aircraft missile which I think is my favourite find.
Thanks for sharing your finds.

Thanks for your kind comments.

With perseverance and a little luck it will happen.

Happy Hunting,

Jerry.

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 »

sgoody1 wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:04 pm
Oxgirl36 wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:38 pm
sgoody1 wrote:

Damn - I seem to find a lot of lead - thats all going straight in the bin! I normally clean it and put it in my tin, but I had no idea it could be dangerous.
Thanks for the warning - I hope I havent breathed in too much!
It's worth remembering that lead in any form is percutaneous (able to pass through the skin) to cause damage to organs. It is also cumulative so will continue to increase as a hazard with repeated skin contact.

In it's oxide form, showing as a grey/white powder on the surface, it can easily be inhaled causing respiratory damage. Lead should also be considered a carcinogen, so is best handled appropriately.

It is the dry powdery oxide that is disturbed whilst 'dry brushing' that poses the greater hazard. Be cautious , stay safe always ::g Regards - ss47
A disservice is no service at all.

Return to “Finds Storage and Display Forum”