Is now the time to buy an E-Trac?

Topics related to Minelab metal detectors here, off topic posts will be removed.
MDF Auction - Minelab Videos
mart61

Is now the time to buy an E-Trac?

Post by mart61 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:41 pm

Hi guys

Forgive the dumb question - I’m relatively new to detecting.

I’m considering changing my AT Pro for something that may be better suited to beach detecting. I’m fully aware of the “imminent” arrival of the Equinox but I’m not sure it’s for me.

Here’s my dilemma - I’ve been considering an E-Trac (or even a Safari) but I’m concerned that they have both been around for a good few years. Would they be deemed “old technology” now?

I’m minded that anything with a processor etc on board is liable to upgrade almost annually. Would you guys invest in one of these machines today if you had the cash and wanted to swap?

Again forgive the dumb question - it is borne of ignorance and not of disrespect of the machines mentioned.

mrix
Founder

Re: Is now the time to buy an E-Trac?

Post by mrix » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:52 pm

Hi Mart, I owned an Etrac for a good few years and it worked brilliantly at the beach ::g never any falsing on the wet sand and went deep ::g B-)
But as you mentioned there is the Equinox being released which has likely has a faster recovery speed and is likely cheaper that the E-Trac ?
As no one has actually used an Equinox for any considerable time its obviously going to be a bit of a gamble.
If your still interested in the E-Trac your best bet would be to wait until the release of the new Equinox machines, you can then get feedback from the users or you will likely be able to pick up a New e-trac cheaper at that time as they will likley get reduced unless you are wanting something second hand ?

Best of luck in whatever you decide
mrix

mart61

Post by mart61 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:04 pm

Thank you for your reply. It’s certainly food for thought. My worry with the Equinox is related to the in-built battery. Whilst I’m not a marathon detectorist, it’s nice to have the choice of swapping batteries and going all day (and night).

littleboot

Post by littleboot » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:23 pm

I would think its going to be a great time to buy an E-Trac. It is similar to a few years ago when the Deus came out and people could pick up used GMP's from people 'upgrading' ....many of whom regretted getting rid.
I don't think it matters if the technology isn't up-to-the-minute to be honest. It is a bit like buying an older top-of-the-range car....they are always well in advance technology-wise than their down market rivals.
I have always held the view that an older top range model that is tried and tested and has had the glitches shaken out of it (all new models have them) is a much safer bet. At the end of the day its about how good a machine is and not how long it has been 'out'. You need to ask yourself if the E-Trac will miss much.
(The answer is No.)
Equinox 600, GMP, wellies.

FULLTIMER

Post by FULLTIMER » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:48 pm

Another thing to consider is the fact that in Minelabs own words is that "the fbs system will still have advantages over the equinox in certain situations" I would think that beach detecting would be one of those, I've had a Safari for the best part of 10 years and have seen no real advantage of "upgrading" to an Etrac in that time
MINELAB SAFARI & RUTUS ALTER 71 teamed up with DETEKNIX WIRELESS HEADPHONES

JBM

Post by JBM » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:12 pm

Its a good time to make offers for a e-trac.

Quite a number of folks are parting with them to purchase a Equinox.

I saw a mint one go recently for £500. ::g

Happy Hunting,

Jerry.

Return to “Minelab Forum”