Torn between new Equinox 800 or second hand CTX3030

Topics related to Minelab metal detectors here, off topic posts will be removed.
MDF Auction - Minelab Videos
Dave8472

Re: Torn between new Equinox 800 or second hand CTX3030

Post by Dave8472 » Wed May 29, 2019 7:39 am

I haven’t used my CTX since getting the Equinox. Been using it on sites that I have done for years and had some great finds with it. The Equinox seems to work well with small silver and gold, probably due to the higher frequencies. The target ID on the CTX is way better though.

There is a weight difference but also a balance difference that evens it out. I can swing the CTX longer than the NOX out of interest.

Dave ):=

Minelab Equinox 800 : 15", 11" Coils
XP Deus V3.2 - WS5 : 9" Coil
Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Garmin eTrex 20 GPS

Lowland

Post by Lowland » Wed May 29, 2019 12:06 pm

kenleyboy wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:17 pm
fred wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:30 pm
kenleyboy wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:46 am
I have no experience at all of either model but I am looking to upgrade at some point in the future and leaning more towards the Equinox , so it is interesting to read other users comments and their experiences with their machines .
There are a number of factors that I would consider prior to buying any new machine and weight would be one of them . Personally I am more of a switch on and go type and when I upgraded to the Q40 , I dithered for quite some time because I just dont do what I perceive to be complicated machines but surprisingly it was relatively easy to get to grips with .
The Equinox sounds like a different beast though , but thats just me , anything with a user manual as thick as your arm and I lose the will to live , so perhaps it may not be the machine for me .Lots to think about and maybe with another seasons experience out on the field and then it would be decision time . Out of the two Equinox detectors , the 600 sounds more appealing .
Just get somebody to show you the basics and you'll be fine within about 20 minutes. Obviously it will take longer to learn it properly. Once chap that I showed how to use his brand new 800 had a very nice Viking strapend from about 15 inches down about quarter of an hour later. That sort of thing does wonders for your confidence in a new machine.

When I turn on the Nox there are normally either four or five buttons to press in exactly the same order each time. If you can't handle that then making toast in the morning must be a real lottery for you! :D Occasionally I do make other adjustments but that's just me being me. It will be different to your present machine though. ::g

The 600 is no different to use than the 800, it just has a slightly coarser tuning options and a few other differences.
Trouble is Fred , I always end up burning the toast :))
Joking aside , thanks for the input . As you say the basics are there but will take time to learn from it over a course of time .
Pssst ...I’ve not even read the manual :))
Shiny equinox600- taped up spade-dodgy elbow
.....................deeper bliss......................

Dangerous Norman

Post by Dangerous Norman » Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:56 am

While I've not used a CTX3030 I did have a Safari before getting the nox800. Great machine and my find rate went up as I got to grips with it but after an hour or so I had to swap hands for a while. As the day went on I was swapping hands every 15 mins. Tried a harness but it was awkward for me as I had to put the detector down to dig.

Things changed when I got the nox. Used one hand all day without a problem so for me the weight of the detector is possibly the biggest decision maker. From what I've read the 3030 is heavier than the Safari.

I know everyone mentions the detecting depth for I find that on most occasions where I detect, ground condition makes digging beyond 12" difficult and sometimes impossible.

Now if the made a 3030 the same weight as a nox ......................................

Oxgirl36

Post by Oxgirl36 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:49 am

Happy birthday BB :D
Carpe vinum

XP Deus !!£$ I use the HOT programme on 17khz, reactivity at 2.5 on v5.21 with the X35 11” coil

Hammered silver 2019 - 20 8=ypr

mrix
Founder

Post by mrix » Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:02 pm

Off topic replies removed, please remember this is the Minelab forum and discussion more specifically between the Equinox 800 and CTX3030 ::g
Thanks
mrix

Return to “Minelab Forum”