Which additional coil for Makro Racer 2?

All topics related to Makro metal detectors here, Off topic posts will be removed.
Makro Videos
Medicus

Which additional coil for Makro Racer 2?

Post by Medicus » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:19 pm

Hello,

I would like to ask you one question. I want to buy some additional coil. I often search in clean forests, so I choose bigger coil than stock coil. Now I am thinking about: Nel Tornado, Nel Thunder, Mars Tiger. Do you have any experience with using them on Racer 2? I know there are some topics about these coils, but I didnť find comparison between them. Maybe there is somebody experienced with Nel and Mars too...

Can you please advise me which one is better to buy?

Thank you for answer :-)

mrix
Founder

Re: Which additional coil for Makro Racer 2?

Post by mrix » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:33 pm

Hello Medicus, have you not considered the Makro RC40 coil ?
mrix

Medicus

Post by Medicus » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:40 pm

mrix wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:33 pm
Hello Medicus, have you not considered the Makro RC40 coil ?
mrix
Hi, yes I have, but it is too big and heavy for me. And the price is higher.

Saffron

Post by Saffron » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:54 pm

Like Medicus I am considering additional coils for the Racer 2.

About 3 weeks ago I posted asking if anybody had used other coils on the Racer 2 (either larger for better ground coverage and depth or smaller for seperation in trashy areas), but I had no response ;;z

I have seen the Racer 2 in use several times, but always with the standard coil - maybe its so good that nobody has used other coils :D

So if anybody has used other coils like Medicus I would be interested in your views.

Evan

dirtdigger1

Post by dirtdigger1 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:54 pm

I can highly recommend the Nel Hunter coil....absolutely awesome!!

My mate has Nel Tornado and loves it....get's on average 3-4 deeper than my stock coil, at least.

D.

Medicus

Post by Medicus » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:55 pm

dirtdigger1 wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:54 pm
I can highly recommend the Nel Hunter coil....absolutely awesome!!
My mate has Nel Tornado and loves it....get's on average 3-4 deeper than my stock coil, at least.
D.
Thank you! :)

fqm

Post by fqm » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:19 pm

The Mars Tiger is an excellent coil - greater depth than stock coil and greater coverage while retaining excellent signal separation and discrimination. In trashy areas or rape stubble fields. I prefer the 5" Makro coil. It is virtually as deep seeking as the stock coil but is much more manoeuvrable with very fast response. I also use both these coils on the beach - the big one for open wet sand and the small one for rock gullies and dry sand areas where I know there is a lot of ring pulls, cans, bottle tops etc

Saffron

Post by Saffron » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:33 pm

Dirtdigger, FQM very many thanks for your input.
Although medicus was asking about larger coils in my case especially to FQM for the information about the 5" coil, (I assume this is the RC13).

Medicus, as you mentioned 2 Nel coils and a third has been mentioned have you seen this page which gives ratings for each aspect of the Nel coils?
http://nel-coils.com/index.php/en/

Evan

dirtdigger1

Post by dirtdigger1 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:19 pm

Saffron wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:33 pm
Dirtdigger, FQM very many thanks for your input.
Although medicus was asking about larger coils in my case especially to FQM for the information about the 5" coil, (I assume this is the RC13).

Medicus, as you mentioned 2 Nel coils and a third has been mentioned have you seen this page which gives ratings for each aspect of the Nel coils?

Evan
Good link Saffron ::g

dirtdigger1

Post by dirtdigger1 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:20 pm

Medicus wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:19 pm
Hello,

I would like to ask you one question. I want to buy some additional coil. I often search in clean forests, so I choose bigger coil than stock coil. Now I am thinking about: Nel Tornado, Nel Thunder, Mars Tiger. Do you have any experience with using them on Racer 2? I know there are some topics about these coils, but I didnť find comparison between them. Maybe there is somebody experienced with Nel and Mars too...

Can you please advise me which one is better to buy?

Thank you for answer :-)
Make sure you keep us posted on your choiceand would appreciate a review from you, especially comparing the 2 coils side by side (stock and Nel)

Medicus

Post by Medicus » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:25 am

fqm wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:19 pm
The Mars Tiger is an excellent coil - greater depth than stock coil and greater coverage while retaining excellent signal separation and discrimination...
Thanks for info.

Saffron wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:33 pm
Evan
Yes I have, but numbers are numbers and experience is another thing :)

dirtdigger1 wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:20 pm
Make sure you keep us posted on your choiceand would appreciate a review from you, especially comparing the 2 coils side by side (stock and Nel)
Of course I will.

veryoldshep

Post by veryoldshep » Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:25 pm

Having just bought the racer 2, i tried the tornado coil, if your going to use that one, get a harness first, killed my elbow after 40 mins. go for the small nel coil tiz 5inch round and if you watch others vids you will see just how good that small coil is in tight/trashy areas.. good hunting..
Look to the future n dig the past.

murrayaka

Post by murrayaka » Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:34 am

I've just got the RC40 COIL for my makro 2 and would definitely recommend it.
I can't believe how deep it picks up . It gives solid audio . The weight on the detector isn't as bad as you would think. It swings nice in stubble/ long grass. . I'd say it's a must have on any makro racer2.

Saffron

Post by Saffron » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:43 am

veryoldshep wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:25 pm
Having just bought the racer 2, i tried the tornado coil, if your going to use that one, get a harness first, killed my elbow after 40 mins. go for the small nel coil tiz 5inch round and if you watch others vids you will see just how good that small coil is in tight/trashy areas.. good hunting..
Thanks for that input.

I used the Tornado coil on my Ace 250, its a cracking coil and gave extra depth (although my main reason for getting it was increased ground coverage). I found the weight was OK but balance was not so good by quite a way and I managed much longer than you but understand what you mean. By chance another detectorist borrowed the 250 on Sunday and he soon switched back to the standard coil (admittedly he was slightly built and has shoulder problems).

Trash is not normally an issue on my permissions but a new one would definately benefit from a snipper coil, I was looking at the Makro RC13 (5"x4.5") but will also look at the Nel.

Evan

Saffron

Post by Saffron » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:59 am

murrayaka wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:34 am
I've just got the RC40 COIL for my makro 2 and would definitely recommend it.
I can't believe how deep it picks up . It gives solid audio . The weight on the detector isn't as bad as you would think. It swings nice in stubble/ long grass. . I'd say it's a must have on any makro racer2.
Thanks for that input.

Thats a big boy for long grass and stubble!, could imagine it being fine on short grass or beach but thought that size would be hard work in the long grass which I often encounter.
As the vast bulk of my permissions are reasonably trash free old pasture with few targets a bigger coils ground coverage has significant advantages.

Normally larger coils like that are great for extra depth on larger targets, but often not so good on small targets and seperation between close targets, do you have any thoughts on these aspects?.

Do you know the weight?, adverts I have seen do not give it (but saying that when I used the Nel Tornado on the Ace 250 the weight was not the issue but how it changed the balance).

Considering my previous post about the sniper coil I had to smile when I just checked some of the Makro adverts -
"With four optional Makro Racer search coils to choose from, you can always select the best
search coil for your environment. Achieve the best performance in a variety of areas
."

I agree every coil has its advantages and a choice of coil depending on where you are detecting is very useful. So looks like I might be looking for the RC13 sniper AND the RC40 (or similar Nel / Mars) .... so ball park £275 !.

Evan

Saffron

Post by Saffron » Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:07 am

I see that the new RC18C 7" (18cm) round CONCENTRIC coil is now available on the MDF shop.

Having looked at it and asked questions about concentric vs DD I am now seriously considering going for this instead of the RC13 5" x 4.5" sniper DD coil.

Does anybody have any thoughts on this, or any other coil, before I raid the piggybank?.

Evan

Macroman

Post by Macroman » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:21 pm

Apology's for my very late comments regarding a larger coil for the Makro racer.
As a very contented racer user I thoroughly recommend the addition of a MARS TIGER coil.
Great addition to the arsenal...also, remember,you never have to purchase a replacement coil cover..as they don't need them,hope you his helps...good hunting.. ::g

Return to “Makro Forum”