re detectors

All topics related to Makro metal detectors here, Off topic posts will be removed.
Makro Videos
veryoldshep

re detectors

Post by veryoldshep » Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:59 pm

Ok my mind is made up, a racer 2 its gonna be, the r/2 looks a good detector and easy enough for this old guy to follow and handle( i think ) will get used to it. A big step up from a garrett 250, which has served me well for a couple of yrs. Looking to the future and past . Cheers all.. Shep.
Look to the future n dig the past.

john Colin

Re: re detectors

Post by john Colin » Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:06 pm

Hello Shep, congratulations on your choice of detector, a very capable machine by all accounts. I look forward to seeing some of your finds.
JC

Koala

Post by Koala » Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:17 pm

veryoldshep wrote:
Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:59 pm
Ok my mind is made up, a racer 2 its gonna be, the r/2 looks a good detector and easy enough for this old guy to follow and handle( i think ) will get used to it. A big step up from a garrett 250, which has served me well for a couple of yrs. Looking to the future and past . Cheers all.. Shep.
Good choice should serve you well

Friend of mine uses one. Loves it. He test quite a few high end detectors against it. He gave the owners/user of the other machines plenty of time to tweak their setting. Nothing between them. In his field there was less than 1/2" between any of them.

If its there. It will find it.

Happy hunting.

Saffron

Post by Saffron » Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:41 pm

I have had one since they first came out the middle of last year when I also upgraded from an Ace 250.

A very capable machine, and I know of 2 instances where detectorists have swapped a deus for a Racer 2.

Lighter than a lot of machines and very well balanced so easy to swing.

You can take it out of the box and turn on and select your preferred mode, eg all metal / two tone / 3 tone, and start detecting and it will work fine. But obviously by adjusting the various settings you will get more out of it.

I normally run 2 tone, but all metal if ground is clean, but if I get an iffy signal switch to "deep mode" (which needs a slower swing) with the sensitivity turned up and that will often give a cleaner signal.

Evan
PS: Mine has nearly been hurled into the river a couple of times recently ..... do yo know how many small split shot annglers drop that it can detect B| B|

dirtdigger1

Post by dirtdigger1 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:45 pm

veryoldshep wrote:
Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:59 pm
VERY good choice.

Had my Racer 2 since day it came out and LOVE IT!!!

Would never part with it, in fact, when I kick the bucket, I might be buried with it...lol.

Racer rocks! ::g

Ten pence!

Post by Ten pence! » Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:46 pm

Yes a vary good machine, setting it up properly is half the battle as I've found mine a bit idiosyncratic and at times a bit counter intuitive as regards to those all important field settings, small tweaks can make all the difference between a machine that is virtually unusable due to excessive chatter and a detector that is right up there with the very best, regardless of price.

veryoldshep

Post by veryoldshep » Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:41 am

Saffron ,you have just given me the biggest laff o the day...keep clear of river banks.. as a fisherman i know how many pounds of lead we drop in a session (still chuckling) almost as bad as going on a clay pigeon range.. Thanks for the advice am saving it all in a little book i can carry around. any probs n out comes me black book.. Thankyou... shep.

Saffron

Post by Saffron » Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:00 pm

Shep, glad you had a laugh.

But I certainly did NOT say "keep clear of river bank". I said about the amount of lead shot that was dropped that that the Racer 2 would find it.

River banks can be very productive. However, as I am a fisherman too I expected a fair amount of split shot but some times it can become a bit much.

With the Racer 2 I can normally tell if it is lead and am selective in what I dig :-
1) Not lead or foil - dig
2) Medium or large lead - dig (last week I found a lead bag seal on a river bank, also as a fisherman some of the ledger weights are usable so saving me buying new ones)
4) Small lead - ignore.

With split shot being so small they always register a lot deeper than they are. On a river bank if I get what I think could be a lead signal showing say 5" deep I always run the pinpointer (low sensitivity) over the spot and it it detects it then it will shot very near the surface.

Evan

veryoldshep

Post by veryoldshep » Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:54 am

Just recieved my racer 2 this morning with lots of extras ,wireless h/fones, tornado coil, and a few others, BIG thanks to arthur if you read this. now to decypher the user book .. Any one have any vids on how to set up the r2.?? or tips would be apreciated. it will all go in my little black book . Thanks folks.

tcawood

Post by tcawood » Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:03 pm

If you don't mind me asking, where did you buy it from and what deal did you get?

Tx
Rutus Alter71
Chinese Pinpointer
YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzAgpy ... OC5T1QRZCg

Macroman

Post by Macroman » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:40 am

Hi ya,yep! Gotta concur with the majority,and as a Racer owner twice over I would say that this machine can hold its own even against the "big guns"...,
And also as an "oldie" I find that I can still do a good days Detecting without my arm completely dropping off !!..
It really is simplicity itself to operate.
What I did find also is that with the addition of a Mars TIGER coil the racer really rocks..hope this helps.
Good luck,and good hunting...and thanks for reading.. ::g

Return to “Makro Forum”