Best battery practice? for the m.m.k.

All topics related to Makro / Nokta metal detectors here, Off topic posts will be removed.
Makro Videos
Bootneck45RM

Best battery practice? for the m.m.k.

Post by Bootneck45RM » Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:33 pm

Hi,
I do appreciate that eventually the li-po rechargeable battery will give up the ghost, or, for whatever reason die! Nokta have perhaps envisaged this occurance by producing a bolt on AA battery pack that can be used as either a back up or replacement in it's own right.
My question is : "how do you recharge your m.m.k."
Up to now I have always put it on charge as soon as I get home after a days detecting, so that's it's ready for the next outing. Is this wrong? If (perish the thought) I don't detect for a week or two, will the storage of the battery at full charge do it any harm?
Or is it better to leave it in its semi-depleted state and only recharge the night before it's going to be needed.
I have read that should a li-po battery be left for 'long' periods unused at full charge it may well shorten it's useful life.
So what do YOU do?
Is there a right or wrong way to charge and store the battery to extend its life?
If a faulty battery occurs within the 2 year warranty period - no problem, other than inconvenience.
After 2 years, which is better: to return for the fitting of a new battery unit, or simply move over to continual AA usage with the bolt on pack?

Your advice or opinion would be appreciated.
Len.
🤔👍

Go not quietly into the dark night - take a torch and a trumpet! - and cause a rucus!

Ladybird66

Re: ?best battery practice? for the m.m.k.?

Post by Ladybird66 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:54 pm

Don’t know about your machine but I’ve used AA battery packs in the past - Rechargable.
There’s a lot to be said for them. One thing of course is, they’re not likely to catch fire ! Easy to charge, easy to replace and a good deal cheaper than a li-po.
I seem to remember Hubby say8ng something about leaving them standing at half charge. He uses them in his model aircraft.

Dangerous Norman

Post by Dangerous Norman » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:03 pm

From what I understand all Lithium batteries can, if abused, cause a fire. Some recommendations I've seen are

DO NOT OVERCHARGE, as soon as they are fully charged disconnect them

ALWAYS use the correct charger

Do not store fully charged for more than a few days so recharging the day before needed may be safer than immediately after use. More important with Li-Po

Do not fully discharge and/or store fully discharged, half charged seems to be a better state to store them in. More important with Li-Po

DOT NOT USE if damaged

NEVER leave them unattended when charging.

Apart from all the the normal battery rules apply especially the Protect against short circuits.

Dangerous Norman

Post by Dangerous Norman » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:07 pm

I personally recharge batteries standing on some sort of a fireproof/retardant surface. Our marble fireplace should serve that purpose well enough.

Koala

Post by Koala » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:16 pm

around 50% is best

shouldn't stay at 100% for more than 3 days

store at a colder temperature as possible within reason

they age what ever you do

you need to charge them back to 50% occasionally if the voltage falls to low they decompose and are ruined

the most important is they never go flat. the rest makes marginal difference.

Bootneck45RM

Post by Bootneck45RM » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:49 pm

Hi
All really good advice so far - thank-you 👍
As the batteries in the m.m.k. are fitted in and cannot be tampered with (at least during the warranty period) it seems that the consensus is:

Dont overcharge
Dont leave for long periods at full charge if not being used
50% seems a safe period to leave at for longer periods
Be aware that they will degrade and can't be replaced d.i.y.
The battery pack on sale seems a good extra

And have a friend🚒 who is a fireman!!

Think to the future will only charge the night before to full charge.
Cheers guys & gals
Len
Go not quietly into the dark night - take a torch and a trumpet! - and cause a rucus!

Buriedbytime&dust

Post by Buriedbytime&dust » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:56 pm

All my current kit has Li Po batteries, and I charge all detectors and pinpointers fully after use and store like that until required.

I go on the theory of more harm being done to batteries stored on low charge/flat, but that theory may be outdated Image

Pete E

Post by Pete E » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:56 pm

Lithium batteries got a bit of bum wrap re fires for two main reason..

Firstly, many of the cheap Chinese lithium batteries sold on that famous auction site are actually batteries that have been salvaged and repackaged from old laptops...

The quality of such batteries is variable to say the least and they can definitely be a fire hazard...

The other cause of the battery fires was basic or poor quality chargers..

Often the charging circuitry built into things like rechargeable torches is not the best and you are actually better (if possible) removing the batteries and charging them in a good quality, "intelligent" charger...
Makro Racer 2
Makro Pinpointer
August EP650 Wireless headphones
TaoTronics Wireless Portable Transmitter, (Bluetooth 4.1, aptX Low Latency)

Koala

Post by Koala » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:30 pm

skip to around the 12 and a half minutes mark

Buriedbytime&dust wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:56 pm
All my current kit has Li Po batteries, and I charge all detectors and pinpointers fully after use and store like that until required.

I go on the theory of more harm being done to batteries stored on low charge/flat, but that theory may be outdated Image

Buriedbytime&dust

Post by Buriedbytime&dust » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:04 am

Koala wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:30 pm

Interesting video, thanks for posting ::g

How would you go about hooking up one of those volt meters to your detector/pinpointer though? :-/

Koala

Post by Koala » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:38 am

Buriedbytime&dust wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:04 am
Koala wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:30 pm

Interesting video, thanks for posting ::g

How would you go about hooking up one of those volt meters to your detector/pinpointer though? :-/
you can't.

just store around 40-60% fine. Don't over worry about these things. Correct storage will mean it lasts longer but they will still wear out. They haven fixed the problem with electric vehicles yet. Think how many billion are being spent on the problem. It is what it is. Changing the battery after 5 years or more is still more convenient then every 40 hours with AA's

Ladybird66

Post by Ladybird66 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:49 am

Couple of remarks in response, Li-po’s ans Lithium-ion are not the same! A 5 year old Li-Po could be dangerous, they degrade over time, An intelligent charger will stop charging when full is recorded. If you go for AA’s have 2 sets ( 1 to use, 1 spare)

I’ve seen, 1st hand what a Li-Po fire can do. A fellow member of Hubbies flying club lost his entire
‘Man Cave’ (wooden shed) and it’s contents by ignoring the rules.

Bootneck, I don’t suppose you can remove your battery but please keep it somewhere fire-proof if you’re not going to use it for any length of time. Be Safe :D

Bootneck45RM

Post by Bootneck45RM » Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:05 pm

Thank-you "Ladybird" your comments are appreciated.
Used to fly rotary (and u.a.v.) like your hubby and was always glad I could take the batteries out, shame its not possible with the m.m.k.
Len
Last edited by Bootneck45RM on Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Nokta Makro Forum”