is the MMK for me advice please

All topics related to Makro / Nokta metal detectors here, Off topic posts will be removed.
Makro Videos
dreadnought

is the MMK for me advice please

Post by dreadnought » Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:19 am

hi people
as the title says, im seriously thinking of upgrading to a multi kruzer. my detecting history so far is
ace150
makro racer, far to complicated for me as a beginer.
ace400i
quest q40
the reason i got rid of the racer was it was just to much for me at that time so i made the decision to go back to a more basic machine and learn the ropes as it were.
the 400i and lastly the quest have been fantastic machines and have done me proud. but the time has come to step up a bit. the only thing that worries me is the more complicated settings on the upper machines.
now im not stupid, just a little bit of a techno phobe. and i neither want or can afford to shell out £650 on something im not going to get the best from.
has anyone been in my situation and found it easy going.
just after some advice really.
cheers

garret ATpro ::g
Quest Q40, awesome machine, never sell it, now the boys :: ::g
Kruzer…………. disappointing, sold ;;z
golden mask, don't even ask ;;z
GP pointer, 3 years and still going, now the boys. ::g
Nokta pointer, best there is ::g

Ladybird66

Re: is the MMK for me advice please

Post by Ladybird66 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:07 pm

I see you joined MDF in 2016. Is that when you started detecting ?
If it is then I’d say you’re not giving yourself a fair chance to get properly acquainted with your machine, any of them.
We all do it, well a lot of us anyway. I’m no exception. When I bought a Minelab Safari I was told it would take me 12 months to get to grips with it. Ha ! Thought I . Well putting it politely, I nearly threw it in the hedge several times. Luckily I couldn’t afford to change again, I was stuck with it.
In the long run it did take a long, long time. In the end I knew that machines inside out and I loved it. Only changed it because I couldn’t handle the weight after an illness.
Remember the 3 ‘P’s Patience, Persistence and Perseverance. It applies to the machine as well as detecting. Give yourself a chance to learn exactly what your detector is saying to you and save a bob or two in the process. ::g

mrix
Founder

Post by mrix » Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:59 pm

Its a shame you never had someone to show you the ropes of the orgional Racer as it is a very simple machine to use when you know how, has great performance for the price range ::g
The Multi Kruzer obviously has a couple more frequencies and is waterproof which is handy, the layout of the menu is fairly easy to understand, initially its simply a case of picking the specific Mods suited to your needs, ground balancing and off you go ::g

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:12 pm

Hello dreadnaught, I'm on Ladybird66's wavelength who has tuned-in with a very well considered reply/solution ::g. Being a user of the Red Racer, I also agree fully with the comments above, it's an exceptional dual purpose machine at the price.

Good Luck with your progress and have a great Christmas -=+:-P Regards ss47.
A disservice is no service at all.

ninja nige

Post by ninja nige » Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:00 pm

hi,
i started with a whites mxt, it only had 3 knobs to turn and is basic as they come
still, after 6 months i was still learning new things about settings and signals
i have a MMK now and have had many machines
the MMK is very simple to use and you will set it up how you want and only have to change the gain to match conditions.
however when you first read the instruction book, it will blow your mind
it seems hard to get around all the different bits and make sense of it.
as said earlier, it takes time, maybee months to relax and be happy with a set up
if you can meet up with another mmk user you can speed up the curve.
my advice, read the online instructions. read them again. than again another day.
if you do go for it , i could send you the settings you should change and why.
nige
WHITES MXT, MXT-PRO,mxt sport..MAKRO MULTI KRUZER.. 750 formula racing car, arsenal season ticket. `11 cats

Bootneck45RM

Post by Bootneck45RM » Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:24 pm

Hi dreadnought

Read your post with interest as like you have only been detecting for a few years and have gone through a few of those "am I going to stick with it and is this the right machine for my needs" moments.
Started with a Garrett and am now using a a M.M.K. as my main machine.
It wasn't that the G. wasn't finding things neither was is too simple or too complicated, it just didn't fit with my needs after a period of time. I wanted to detect on pasture as well as on the beach and I also wanted to continue detecting in the rain.
Plus having a choice of frequencies gave me another way of varying my detecting techniques.
None of the above matters though if we dont understand what our machine of choice is telling us, and that only comes with those 3 p's as already stated, but in my case I choose to let them mean practise, practise, practise.
It's nice if you can afford it to get the best machine available but if its overly complicated and you lose patience with it and give up, you've just wasted youre hard earned reddies. So no matter what machine you've got or had, learn as much as you can from them so you can then carry that knowledge to your next machine.
I tend to make a list of pros and cons alongside what I need from the machine and then use that to dictate or at least assist my choice.
PLUS and its a big plus, try to find someone who owns your machine of choice and hopefully persuade them to let you use it on varying ground. It really helps to try before you buy!
Sorry I've run on a bit - but I believe the more you ask (especially on this forum) the more you'll be in a better position to make that final choice. This forum is full of detectorists that have been "at it for years" - and they have supplied me with only the best of advice: so ask, research, try, and really good luck with your final choice. If you are in the South East Devon area youre more than welcome to try my m.m.k.
Oh and as a p.s. it finds all sorts of bright shiny things with no bother, especially as I'm now beggining to understand its language - wish I were fluent but thats a long way away; but I am happy with the machine and wont be changing it for a long while yet.
Best regards to the future
Len R.
Go not quietly into the dark night - take a torch and a trumpet! - and cause a rucus!

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:42 pm

Good advice there from Bootneck45RM ::g ss47
A disservice is no service at all.

JonM

Post by JonM » Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:31 am

ninja nige is absolutely spot on regarding the MMK manual as a mind boggling read however after sizzling my own brain with the same manual I decided to just take the MMK out, switch it on and see what happened !!!!.
After four months with the Multi Kruzer I have to say that it is simplicity itself to use and the control panel is laid out in such a way that it is pretty much self explanitary for navigation however I cannot stress enough that I have set myself a disciplined slow learning curve with my Multi Kruzer exploring the settings slowly and gradually. During this first four months I have been familiarising myself with "3 tone" and experimenting with the gain hovering around the late 80's and into the 90's with great satisfaction and nothing more as yet.
After the New Year I will venture slowly into other modes and settings safe in the knowledge that I have my confidence in the "3 tone" setting as my return point.
The Multi Kruzer is going to take me a long time to completely familiarise myself with however I am happy to embark on my "lessons" with a steady pace throughout 2019.

Lastly, at a cost of £650 I personally can't afford to (nor do I want to) jump machines, some day in the future I want to be known for "knowing my machine" rather than having the latest machine.

I hope this helps.
Minelab Equinox 800.
Makro Multi Kruzer.
Nokta Pointer.
GP Pointer.
DARC Member.
NCMD Member.

dreadnought

Post by dreadnought » Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:59 pm

i just want to thank people for replying. but need to say that ive been detecting for five years so im not just jumping to the next machine out. as stated i started with a 150, then jumped straight to a racer after not long enough. this was my mistake. and that is why i went backwards in machines so i COULD learn slower. and learn it i have. i can tell what the quest is telling me through the tones without even looking at the screen. i also go out at least twice a week (lucky to have the farms in my own village) so have put many hours on the fields and machine. the quest has been an outstanding machine and has found me loads, but i feel its lacking on the depth front, and when all is said and done its not the most sophisticated machine.
i was only asking if the MMK was a grossly complicated machine or not.
i also want to be able to re-visit the sites if hunted a lot to pick up those smaller deeper pieces.
garret ATpro ::g
Quest Q40, awesome machine, never sell it, now the boys :: ::g
Kruzer…………. disappointing, sold ;;z
golden mask, don't even ask ;;z
GP pointer, 3 years and still going, now the boys. ::g
Nokta pointer, best there is ::g

MrDooza

Post by MrDooza » Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:39 pm

The MMK is a coin magnet in my opinion. I agree that the instructions are a bit confusing. I would recommend going on YouTube and using the recommended 3 tone settings which it shows you how to install step by step and then just go for it. The rest you can pick up as you go along I don't think you will regret it ::g

Jacza

Post by Jacza » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:49 pm

The MMK is not really complicated, if you have set up and saved your favorite programms. Turn on the machine, ground balance and you can start. At the beginning it's a little bit difficult, you have to learn from the tones, when to dig and when not. My rule of thumb is: the id must be stable and repeatable, with the time you "feel" when it's the right time to dig. The pinpoint function is a very good help to identify your targets. With the time you also get to know iffy signals, that a button or another object with low conductivity can be masked in high mineralized soil and give iron tones. But i like that the detector gives so much audio feedback to learn from. The only problem for me is still the identification of iron, be warned that this is really not an easy task for the MMK like it is not with other detectors in this range, you also have to listen very carefully to the tones.

Return to “Nokta Makro Forum”