gps

Please post all topics related to metal detecting GPS here please.
looksold

gps

Post by looksold » Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:04 am

i have decided that perhaps i ought to record find spots more accurately and have considered the Minelab 3030 because of the built in gps..... Is it easy to use and worthwhile?? .....i also have an iphone that i could use but don't really like taking it out in the field with me and sometimes causes interference on my detector.
is the 3030 the only machine with built in gps ?
probably not in the market straight away to purchase another machine but planning for the near future.
any thoughts ???

£1900 does seem rather a lot as well but it is my main hobby along with beer obviously.....

targets

Re: gps

Post by targets » Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:31 pm

just download tect o trak on your phone or tablet
' hammys how i love ya, how i love ya my dear old hammys '

Dave8472

Post by Dave8472 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:20 pm

CTX is the only one with built in GPS, when I use my Deus I use a Garmin eTrex10

Everything ends up in Google Earth for me so no need to buy one with expensive maps on ::g

Dave &*(
Img_3511.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Minelab CTX3030 : 17", 11", 6" Coils
Minelab Equinox 800 : 15", 11" Coils
XP Deus V3.2 - WS5 : 9" Coil
Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Garmin eTrex 20 GPS

Bridex

Post by Bridex » Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:18 pm

Yes it is very easy to use, just push a button to mark a findspot and its done.
This logs your position together with your detector's current settings - depth, program,
date/time, and more.
Used in conjunction with the XChange2 (comes with the 3030) software to easily transfer your
find spots to your PC and then view them in Google Earth.
It will also allow you to track your detecting route around the field(s) etc. which is also
viewable in GE - great for seeing where you have walked - and where you haven't!
This allows you to easily identify hot spots in your fields.
Keeps a complete log of your finds, together with your detector settings and program
for each find that you have logged.
si in dubium effodere

Steve_T

Post by Steve_T » Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:32 pm

Garmin Etrex 10 is a simple GPS, I use it, and the wife uses it for her running, although it does eat batteries quite quick, don't bother with the maps unless you get a higher spec GPS, as this is perfect for putting your tracks and find spots on Google Earth, as the others have said. if you change detector you've still got GPS. I did a help post on it a while ago, somewhere on this site

Got mine for less than £75 but here's a link to a site
http://www.decathlon.co.uk/etrex-10-hik ... 02761.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Regards Steve
-----------------------------------------------(ooooooooo)-------------------------------------------------
Try not to become a man of success, but rather try to become a man of value.

Albert Einstein

jcmaloney

Post by jcmaloney » Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:51 pm

I use a Garmin.....and I`ve got a CTX! lol

Used it for years and its become a habit, should use the CTX really but its a bit of extra faff! ::g
Opinions expressed on MY posts are mine and NOT those of any democratic organisation I volunteer for. ::g

amphora

Post by amphora » Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:52 pm

I use my smartphone for that. I always have that with me for emergency situation.
So many GPS app's available for it ... in all styles, sorts, whatever you want.
Even easier. Take a picture with GPS on with your smartphone, and you know exactly what you've found where. (be carefull with posting those gps logged picts on forums ;) )
Good luck hunting.

Danzigman

Post by Danzigman » Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:33 am

Well In a way I think most detectorist is best of with a GPS separated from other devices.. Not that the CTX 3030 is not good, but little over the top to buy the CTX just for the GPS.. Same with phones.. Some phones is kind of expensive, and field life can be hard to them. Beside that - beware of the hidden gps codes in the photos. That Said d;]

Everyone should have and use a gps to track their detecting. Please read, and give a look on the images in linked post.. You will be surrprised how much and how easy you miss a spot. Here we hope that use of GPS will be a "demand" connected to detecting in the next few years. And already we are obligated to attach the GPS codes to find that goes to museum.
http://www.metaldetectingforum.co.uk/vi ... 10&t=29151" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
XP DEUS. GPP VII. GARMIN etrex 20.
http://s1222.photobucket.com/user/Danzigman/library/

looksold

Post by looksold » Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:21 am

thankyou all for your replies, i do have a smartphone but when a picture is taken, ok it tells me roughly where with the nearest village i was hoping to get something that was more or less bang on with find spot. the comment regarding the ctx sounds exactly what is required but at a cost.
still mulling it over, i have gone 28 years without one!

Danzigman

Post by Danzigman » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:43 am

looksold wrote:thankyou all for your replies, i do have a smartphone but when a picture is taken, ok it tells me roughly where with the nearest village i was hoping to get something that was more or less bang on with find spot. the comment regarding the ctx sounds exactly what is required but at a cost.
still mulling it over, i have gone 28 years without one!
The Etrek 10 or the Etrek 20 ( I have that one) from Garmin will do the job.. Bang on ( read through my link´d post and see track) Even a simple B/W Garmin from the yello pages or the charity shop - picked up for 20 £ will do the job..
XP DEUS. GPP VII. GARMIN etrex 20.
http://s1222.photobucket.com/user/Danzigman/library/

Return to “Metal Detecting GPS”