Hand held GPS

Please post all topics related to metal detecting GPS here please.
mace247

Hand held GPS

Post by mace247 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:47 pm

Hello,

I was thinking of getting a GPS mapping system so I could track exactly which part of a field things were found in..... Does anyone already use a device they would recommend ?

Many thanks

New XP Deus V3
Garrett AT Pro
Tornado coil
Pinpointer
Eternal optimism and ever growing collection of buttons

Martin B

Re: Hand held GPS

Post by Martin B » Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:17 pm

I use an old Garmin EtrexH GPSr, its a non mapping device though, as I use paper maps mostly,

It is somewhat long in the tooth though, so as soon as I can afford it im upgrading to a Garmin Etrex30. The '30 is a mapping type, but has the advantages over the old one of being 'dual standard' and receiving both US Navstar and Russian Glonass constellations. It is also 'Galileo Ready' so will work with the new European constellation once it comes on line.

With the US and Russian sats, accuracy is down to better than 5m, comparable with most Smartphone GPS's, once Galileo is running, down to a meter should be possible! It is also capable of utilizing WAAS (Wide Area Augmentation System) for better accuracy and faster lock times.

The '30 is also intended for paperless geocaching, and has the Garmin CHIRP short range beacon receiver system.

Of course, thats only my preferred choice, theres a lot out there! Go for one that does both US and Russian sats and is ready for the EU sats
Last edited by Martin B on Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

ROCK HOPPER

Post by ROCK HOPPER » Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:46 am

I use a Garmin etrex for land and beach. It doesn't track fine enough for quartering a field but if I get a good signal and the ground is too hard to dig I just waypoint it and return after it has rained. A lot of fields in Cornwall are said only to grow stones so it is very hard digging.
On the beach I use it for waypointing the good spots as on a lot of beaches in Cornwall the tide sorts items into small areas.
Last month I found an area about 2ft square which took 20 mins to empty, total haul 36 large fishing weights, as it is now empty I shall return to the area and see if some good stuff has washed in.
Hope this is of use.

jcmaloney

Post by jcmaloney » Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:59 am

Garmin E-trex for me....... mark finds as a way point then number each bag, resolve find spots on Google Earth in the warm & dry.
Accuracy depends greatly on location, can get within 6ft on hills. ::g
Opinions expressed on MY posts are mine and NOT those of any democratic organisation I volunteer for. ::g

JamieB

Post by JamieB » Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:29 pm

My buddy uses a garmin etrex 20 and it's pretty accurate at plotting finds ::g
Youtube channel: https://youtu.be/WCVc_IFEOho" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
XP Deus + 13x11" coil
Garrett pro pointer
Hairy Coin Purse

mace247

Post by mace247 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 7:29 pm

Thanks guys.... I'll have a look at the garmin. Can you name the waypoints when you save them , coins etc
New XP Deus V3
Garrett AT Pro
Tornado coil
Pinpointer
Eternal optimism and ever growing collection of buttons

ROCK HOPPER

Post by ROCK HOPPER » Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:55 am

Yes I can name waypoints on my Garmin e-Trex.

JamieB

Post by JamieB » Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:27 am

yup - you can call them "eddy 2 silver penny", "roman grot" etc etc

It's very handy to see a map appearing of finds and patterns
Youtube channel: https://youtu.be/WCVc_IFEOho" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
XP Deus + 13x11" coil
Garrett pro pointer
Hairy Coin Purse

Martin B

Post by Martin B » Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:22 pm

The Garmin Etrex range are quite popular. Mine is an old model, the H. The new series is the 10, 20 and 30. Each with a few more features as you go along. I also geocache, so CHIRP and paperless caching is useful to me. The -30 had a barometric altimeter and tru magnetic compass as well.
Once you have an idea which you like, make sure to shop around! The RRP on the -30 is about £230, but ive seen packages for £175, just make sure the package includes the sort of mapping you want.

Im also thinking of signing up to a 'cashback' service before I order mine! I can get a fiver back ::g :D

Edit to add- the etrex series I think are designed for mountain biking, so nice and rounded and no sticky out buts, but it also means that tube mounts are available for securing them to handlebars. Or detector shafts...

Spooky

Post by Spooky » Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:00 pm

Just recieved a Garmin Etrex 20 and was wondering what the best maps would be for metal detecting.
Can i ask what maps you guys are using on the device ?.. detail satalite pic type maps or topo maps ? can you see field borders / hedgerows ?
Does it even matter if you can overlay your recorded route on google earth afterwards anyway? Just finding the utube vids and website a little confusing at mo.
Sorry if its a dumb question., i havent used it yet obviously but if i need to purchase a map series then i need some advice cheers . ;)
Quid adfers? LXXXIII viverra anulum tizer !

Nox 800
15" coil
CMD Carbon Fibre stem

Easylife

Post by Easylife » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:01 pm

You don't actually need any maps installed for detecting use if you just want to record your tracks. Tracks are automatically saved on your device but can be backed-up and edited using Garmin Basecamp.
Nox 800, 15" coil & Garrett carrot.
White's TDI SL

Return to “Metal Detecting GPS”