GPS: recommendation for Android pls

Please post all topics related to metal detecting GPS here please.
Post Reply
User avatar
SuperRed
Posts: 1893
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:07 pm
Has thanked: 2224 times
Been thanked: 915 times

GPS: recommendation for Android pls

Post by SuperRed » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:02 pm

I have very reluctantly, and against all of my moral instincts, had to finally dump my trusty old Blackberry and 'upgrade' to a Samsung. I'm no technophobe when it comes to 'interesting' technology, but I resent having to pay some slip of a lad with over-gelled hair an exploitative price for a cut-down laptop which encourages the destruction of social interaction.

Well, I have the damn thing now, so I may as well make use of it and I was wondering if anyone could recommend a GPS facility to at least get something out of this for detecting. I sold my Satmap Active 10, as I no longer climb mountains and it was cumbersome and an overkill. I know there have been other posts on this, but if someone can give me a bit of up-to-date advice I'd be grateful.

Limited apologies for the rant, but at least I now know that android is not a cure for hemorrhoids!!

Cheers
Brad


Brad

Equinox 800
Garrett Ace 400i
C-Scope 1220b

“My life has been full of terrible misfortunes most of which never happened.”
"It doesn't matter what you do, just do something: Don't just kill time whilst time is killing you"

User avatar
Bargeman
Posts: 2112
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:25 pm
Location: Newbury
Has thanked: 815 times
Been thanked: 1214 times
Contact:

Re: GPS: recommendation for Android pls

Post by Bargeman » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:07 pm

I use GPS Logger ::g




Blackberry! wow, next you will find out the earth aint flat :D




BM [:)
Last edited by Bargeman on Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Walk that line, torn apart
spend your whole life trying.
Ride that train, free your heart,
it's midnight up in Harlem.

Midnight in Harlem, Tedeschi Trucks Band

User avatar
SuperRed
Posts: 1893
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:07 pm
Has thanked: 2224 times
Been thanked: 915 times

Re: GPS: recommendation for Android pls

Post by SuperRed » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:13 pm

Bargeman wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:07 pm
I use GPS Logger ::g

Blackberry! wow, next you will find out the earth aint flat :D


BM [:)

Lol, thanks for that matey! I'll have you know that my BB has a proper keyboard to suit my fat fingers and handles my emails without data. Don't dis the BB bro! :D
Brad

Equinox 800
Garrett Ace 400i
C-Scope 1220b

“My life has been full of terrible misfortunes most of which never happened.”
"It doesn't matter what you do, just do something: Don't just kill time whilst time is killing you"

User avatar
f8met
Posts: 2580
Joined: Wed May 08, 2013 12:14 am
Location: Cambs and Suffolk
Has thanked: 150 times
Been thanked: 711 times

Re: GPS: recommendation for Android pls

Post by f8met » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:35 pm

I am always wary of using my phone and would always take a battery pack charger with me or at least a car charger. I am paranoid about getting a flat battery when I most need it. I can't help with an app as I use an eTrex.

I might just get the one Bargeman recommends as ironically I have been caught out with eTrex battery dyeing on me.
Dave
Deus, 9" and 11" black coil
2019 16 Hammered

User avatar
Muddyknee
Posts: 486
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:05 am
Has thanked: 214 times
Been thanked: 255 times

Re: GPS: recommendation for Android pls

Post by Muddyknee » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:36 pm

SuperRed wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:02 pm
.......but at least I now know that android is not a cure for hemorrhoids!!
Cured mine.......did invalidate the warranty though...... ;)
People don't change when they see the light.....
......they only change when they feel the heat.
Garrett Ace 400i
Nel Tornado
NCMD No 19622

User avatar
stubbie
Posts: 232
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:52 pm
Has thanked: 18 times
Been thanked: 5 times

Re: GPS: recommendation for Android pls

Post by stubbie » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:08 pm


Mykyl66
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:24 am
Has thanked: 20 times
Been thanked: 7 times

Re: GPS: recommendation for Android pls

Post by Mykyl66 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:17 pm

stubbie wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:08 pm
this is what I use its a great app ::g
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... .tectotrak
How is it with battery life? Can it be used JUST to log find spots rather than tracking my every move as I suspect that would drain that battery?

DelphiOne
Posts: 78
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:12 am
Has thanked: 42 times
Been thanked: 23 times

Re: GPS: recommendation for Android pls

Post by DelphiOne » Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:40 am

I used to use TectOTrak great app to start of with,the problem with any phone app is, your hammering your phones battery, when it's raining or damp conditions the screen becomes unresponsive, your also getting your nice android phone covered in grit and mud which can't be good for it. There is also the fear of dropping it. Like i say great tool to start with and see if it's your thing. I have personaly moved on to an Etrex 20x, better battery life,better GPS,waterproof,and can upload poi's and tracks to basecamp in the comfort of your own home.

User avatar
Swany
Posts: 802
Joined: Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:55 am
Has thanked: 979 times
Been thanked: 465 times

Re: GPS: recommendation for Android pls

Post by Swany » Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:24 am

Just remember if you take any clod shot pics with your phone with all that tech logging your location I think the photo is geo tagged, just in case you posted your location.

For pics like that I usually transfer to PC and remove all tagged info from the pic.
Equinox 800
2 x CTX 3030
GPX 5000

User avatar
SuperRed
Posts: 1893
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:07 pm
Has thanked: 2224 times
Been thanked: 915 times

Re: GPS: recommendation for Android pls

Post by SuperRed » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:15 am

DelphiOne wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:40 am
I used to use TectOTrak great app to start of with,the problem with any phone app is, your hammering your phones battery, when it's raining or damp conditions the screen becomes unresponsive, your also getting your nice android phone covered in grit and mud which can't be good for it. There is also the fear of dropping it. Like i say great tool to start with and see if it's your thing. I have personaly moved on to an Etrex 20x, better battery life,better GPS,waterproof,and can upload poi's and tracks to basecamp in the comfort of your own home.
Thank you for the advice guys - I'll take a further look through these.

I understand the practical issues Delphi. As I said, I did have a Satmap Active 10: it was armoured and pretty much bullet-proof and extremely accurate. But it was cumbersome. Great for the mountains, but far too much power for detecting purposes. Expensive too... even the extra map cards cost £100-200 each. I'll try a couple of the apps mentioned and the phone will have to take its chances. Good point re battery longevity, but I only do short trips anyway.

The irony is that when I got my first mobile in the 80's it was like a brick... every time I upgraded I was looking for smaller and easier to slip in my jacket pocket, and 30 odd years later I now have a... Brick!!! B-)
Brad

Equinox 800
Garrett Ace 400i
C-Scope 1220b

“My life has been full of terrible misfortunes most of which never happened.”
"It doesn't matter what you do, just do something: Don't just kill time whilst time is killing you"

User avatar
f8met
Posts: 2580
Joined: Wed May 08, 2013 12:14 am
Location: Cambs and Suffolk
Has thanked: 150 times
Been thanked: 711 times

Re: GPS: recommendation for Android pls

Post by f8met » Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:15 am

You can pick up an etrex 10 for £60-80. They don't come with maps but you can just download to base camp when you get back. I am not so bothered by the tracking as for recording the way-point spot marking is more important but they can still be added to base camp anyway.
Dave
Deus, 9" and 11" black coil
2019 16 Hammered

User avatar
SuperRed
Posts: 1893
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:07 pm
Has thanked: 2224 times
Been thanked: 915 times

Re: GPS: recommendation for Android pls

Post by SuperRed » Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:49 am

f8met wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:15 am
You can pick up an etrex 10 for £60-80. They don't come with maps but you can just download to base camp when you get back. I am not so bothered by the tracking as for recording the way-point spot marking is more important but they can still be added to base camp anyway.
Thanks Dave.

To be honest, I am just trying to justify the cave-in to a phone upgrade so that it can earn its keep. I usually just log any recordable finds on Google maps when I get home: plotted on the map and it allows me to pass a 8 digit grid ref to the FLO (close enough for comfort). I carry the phone (or in this case mini laptop) for emergencies, but I like to detect as light as possible and don't want extra lumps in my pocket. I am hoping that one of the suggested aps may ease my guilt. I had a career in IT, so I like a gadget as much as the next person, but I have a strong dislike of the mobile industry.

Never say never, so I may take a look at the etrex, so thanks for the advice.

Brad
Brad

Equinox 800
Garrett Ace 400i
C-Scope 1220b

“My life has been full of terrible misfortunes most of which never happened.”
"It doesn't matter what you do, just do something: Don't just kill time whilst time is killing you"

Dinger207
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon May 16, 2016 5:09 pm
Been thanked: 7 times

Re: GPS: recommendation for Android pls

Post by Dinger207 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:25 am

I too use an Etrex Vista HCx to track and also waymark any significant finds. 2x AA batteries last about 24hrs .. I download onto Mapsource at home, this can then be viewed on google earth

Dangerous Norman
Posts: 168
Joined: Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:35 am
Has thanked: 39 times
Been thanked: 86 times

Re: GPS: recommendation for Android pls

Post by Dangerous Norman » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:48 am

I use Memory Map OS25 scale mapping software but this requires a device with true GPS as it doesn't work with aGPS.

To record finds I use iSmartDetect which superimposes data on to a copy of the photo of your find and also marks the location of a satellite view of where the photo was taken.

Data consists of 6 digit E: & N:, national grid.ref. date, time and the name you give for the dig.

Another feature is the ability to sync between devices. while this works on apple OS devices, on the android it currently only works with phones and tablets can't log in to the server. These issue is being addressed after I notified them of the issue. The app does work on tablets, just not the sync feature which many people don't subscribe to anyway.

User avatar
stubbie
Posts: 232
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:52 pm
Has thanked: 18 times
Been thanked: 5 times

Re: GPS: recommendation for Android pls

Post by stubbie » Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:15 pm

Mykyl66 wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:17 pm
stubbie wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:08 pm
this is what I use its a great app ::g
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... .tectotrak
How is it with battery life? Can it be used JUST to log find spots rather than tracking my every move as I suspect that would drain that battery?
I haven't really tested it to see how long the battery lasts but my phone has not drained that much after 4 hours use ::g

DelphiOne
Posts: 78
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:12 am
Has thanked: 42 times
Been thanked: 23 times

Re: GPS: recommendation for Android pls

Post by DelphiOne » Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:48 pm

SuperRed wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:15 am
DelphiOne wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:40 am
I used to use TectOTrak great app to start of with,the problem with any phone app is, your hammering your phones battery, when it's raining or damp conditions the screen becomes unresponsive, your also getting your nice android phone covered in grit and mud which can't be good for it. There is also the fear of dropping it. Like i say great tool to start with and see if it's your thing. I have personaly moved on to an Etrex 20x, better battery life,better GPS,waterproof,and can upload poi's and tracks to basecamp in the comfort of your own home.
Thank you for the advice guys - I'll take a further look through these.

I understand the practical issues Delphi. As I said, I did have a Satmap Active 10: it was armoured and pretty much bullet-proof and extremely accurate. But it was cumbersome. Great for the mountains, but far too much power for detecting purposes. Expensive too... even the extra map cards cost £100-200 each. I'll try a couple of the apps mentioned and the phone will have to take its chances. Good point re battery longevity, but I only do short trips anyway.

The irony is that when I got my first mobile in the 80's it was like a brick... every time I upgraded I was looking for smaller and easier to slip in my jacket pocket, and 30 odd years later I now have a... Brick!!! B-)
The etrex 20x usually come with western europe topo maps installed, to be honest you can get better maps as free downloads. Also the etrex is alot smaller than most smartphones and quite abit thicker and will take a bashing i think, it's a tough littel gadget.

User avatar
f8met
Posts: 2580
Joined: Wed May 08, 2013 12:14 am
Location: Cambs and Suffolk
Has thanked: 150 times
Been thanked: 711 times

Re: GPS: recommendation for Android pls

Post by f8met » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:20 pm

I have my etrex 30 on a bit of cord around my neck. Hardly know it is there.
Dave
Deus, 9" and 11" black coil
2019 16 Hammered

local hero
Posts: 29
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:07 pm
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 18 times

Re: GPS: recommendation for Android pls

Post by local hero » Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:53 pm

Bargeman wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:07 pm
I use GPS Logger ::g




Blackberry! wow, next you will find out the earth aint flat :D




BM [:)
Many thanks for the heads up for GPS logger, i've just downloaded it to my S8, it looks very good ::g

The co ordinates are set by default to Lat/Longs but if you go into the settings in View Ranger they can be set to 10 figure National Grid ones by selecting the Great Britain option.

Jacza
Posts: 30
Joined: Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:41 am
Has thanked: 40 times
Been thanked: 11 times

Re: GPS: recommendation for Android pls

Post by Jacza » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:54 pm

Locus Map
https://www.locusmap.eu/de/

I'm using this app for simply everything.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post Reply

Return to “Metal Detecting GPS”