Winter Army Surplus Jacket/ Parka??

Please post all topics related to metal detecting Clothing, bags, footwear here please.
MDF Auction - Metal Detecting Clothing
smw5767

Winter Army Surplus Jacket/ Parka??

Post by smw5767 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:41 pm

Hi Guys
Trying to find a Winter Army Surplus Jacket or Parka, Lightweight possibly waterproof? bit of a needle in a haystck syndrome for me really, i'm a bit fussy and and dont like Camo, just Olive Green.
LOTS of pockets, velcro or plastic buttons on cuffs, obviously no metal poppers. Most are unlined or very thin cotton :-/ I have a Belgium one for Summer and its great, but its bloody cold and wet now...lol
I always prefer the foreign stuff, more interesting to me, maybe a bit different.
Any Links or info appreciated.

T2 Special Edition DST
Jolly Rogers.......No ''Back up'' machine.....This is all i need!

Koala

Re: Winter Army Surplus Jacket/ Parka??

Post by Koala » Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:07 pm

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:19 pm

Hello 'smw5767'. Surprised you're not 'a man for all 'tectin' seasons' yet! :-O :))
I use a military Parka sometimes and when it's really cold my RAF 'Ground Servicing Crew' onesey provides me with 'Clothes Protection' (Pun - sorry)!

My own choice would be to use your 'Belgian Pattern' issue with a British 'Combat Liner' (so no need to buy another Parka). ::g The newer issue 'liners' are excellent and are plain green so you won't look like 'one of the lads'. Hope you find the right solution to suit! ::g Regards ss47
A disservice is no service at all.

smw5767

Post by smw5767 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:09 pm

Cheers Guys
I'll also check out the link. 'One of the Lads' made me laugh... ;))
I sometimes wonder how the Metal Detecting Hobby adopted the ' Camo Uniform' by so many people.
Don't get me wrong, obviously i LOVE old military clothing, hence my thread, but in the past have felt like a bit of a tit in full Camo and boots B| After all, i'm certainly no soldier.
T2 Special Edition DST
Jolly Rogers.......No ''Back up'' machine.....This is all i need!

liamnolan
Location: Hemswell, Lincolnshire. originally from Dublin, southern Ireland

Post by liamnolan » Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:47 pm

sweepstick47 wrote:Hello 'smw5767'. Surprised you're not 'a man for all 'tectin' seasons' yet! :-O :))
I use a military Parka sometimes and when it's really cold my RAF 'Ground Servicing Crew' onesey provides me with 'Clothes Protection' (Pun - sorry)!

My own choice would be to use your 'Belgian Pattern' issue with a British 'Combat Liner' (so no need to buy another Parka). ::g The newer issue 'liners' are excellent and are plain green so you won't look like 'one of the lads'. Hope you find the right solution to suit! ::g Regards ss47
I used to wear that Ground Servicing Crew jacket and trousers for real, rigger on Vulcans at RAF Waddington, we called then Cold Weather Gear, warm but noisy due to the amount of Velcro! Maybe different from yours as mine was in two pieces, in green.
Happy times, Liam OooO
PS - several topics on this subject, but I mostly use warm jackets/coats that have become too worn out to be used normally. By then you have got used to the feel of the garment, know all the pockets, and it brings the coat back into a new lease of life. I am a "Gant" clothing person, expensive stuff but they last many years and now come with me detecting, top class luxury clothing at zero cost.
Deus, WSi's - In the end we will regret the chances we didn't take, the relationships we were afraid to have and decisions we waited too long to make .. Spokesperson Irish Metal Detecting Society IMDS Vice President European Council for Metal Detecting

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:51 pm

liamnolan wrote:
sweepstick47 wrote:Hello 'smw5767'. Surprised you're not 'a man for all 'tectin' seasons' yet! :-O :))

I used to wear that Ground Servicing Crew jacket and trousers for real, rigger on Vulcans at RAF Waddington, we called then Cold Weather Gear, warm but noisy due to the amount of Velcro! Maybe different from yours as mine was in two pieces, in green.
Happy times, Liam OooO
PS - several topics on this subject, but I mostly use warm jackets/coats that have become too worn out to be used normally. By then you have got used to the feel of the garment, know all the pockets, and it brings the coat back into a new lease of life. I am a "Gant" clothing person, expensive stuff but they last many years and now come with me detecting, top class luxury clothing at zero cost.
Hello Liam, Yes the RAF kit was always good quality gear. The one-piece I was issued with (and still have) is the black 'one, with full length hip to foot zips for quick and easy 'donning' (without removing boots if need be). Very warm, windproof but not fully waterproof - but I never look a gift horse...! At my time in FI it was more likely to have seen service with the RAF's F4 Phantoms.

Bye the way, the book 'Vulcan 607'- FI Tanker Flt is a fascinating and enjoyable read. ::g

Regards Eric
A disservice is no service at all.

liamnolan
Location: Hemswell, Lincolnshire. originally from Dublin, southern Ireland

Post by liamnolan » Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:26 pm

XM607 was one of my aircraft, was on static display outside Waddo for many years, may still be there? On Sleaford Road. Those one-piece outfits were much sought after, we had to get up on the Vulcans vast delta mainplanes to apply hot de-icer from the tankers, the glycol would get everywhere and you ended up a wet mess ;;z We then had to apply rain repellent to the windscreens, surprised we did not all fall off as everything was so slippy, no safety harnesses back in 1971 ... and it was a long way down to the runway! XH558 was a Mk 1 Vulcan, pained white as it flew around the Arctic, got replaced by the Mk 2 such as 607 but is now the last flying Vulcan as it probably has less airframe hours.
Gone completely off-topic, sorry, gut good to natter about the past. Started detecting around RAF Scampton .. some good tales, Liam :;@
Deus, WSi's - In the end we will regret the chances we didn't take, the relationships we were afraid to have and decisions we waited too long to make .. Spokesperson Irish Metal Detecting Society IMDS Vice President European Council for Metal Detecting

Billy Doyle

Post by Billy Doyle » Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:49 pm

liamnolan wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:47 pm
Happy times, Liam
Goodness me Liam. I never knew that! I've a sad tale about the vulcans at waddington (well, it was sad for me at least). I was in the air training corps in the late 70's and my squadron was twinned with a unit at waddington, and one year 2 of our cadets were chosen to visit and have a flight in a vulcan. It was scheduled for a 3 day visit to include some training and then a flight each. I was thrilled to be chosen as one of the 2 cadets to go.
However (and to cut a long story short) when it came to the flights we were told that there was only one scheduled flight available so only one of us could go, and it was decided on the toss of a coin. I lost and never went up. Totally gutted at that age and still sad I missed out on what would have been an amazing experience. :((

So I'll blame you from now on haha
;)

Phil2401

Post by Phil2401 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:04 pm

How the Hell you go from Vulcans to tennis rackets beats me - aerodynamics? You're an enigma for sure, Liam :)

Phil
Quaerite et invenietis

XP Deus

Phil2401

Post by Phil2401 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:08 pm

Sorry I meant racquets, not rackets.
Quaerite et invenietis

XP Deus

Ten pence!

Post by Ten pence! » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:02 pm

I've given up on army surplus stuff, modern gear is so much better, for example check out what hill walkers wear.

Breathable fabrics are warmer and more comfortable to wear for prolonged periods and barely restrict movement, the problems with many traditional materials (although not wool) is that they retain moisture close to the body which causes you to feel a bit cold and clammy after a few hours, the modern way is to layer clothes to suit the prevailing conditions.

Return to “Metal Detecting Clothing Bags Backpacks footwear”