a clothing/footwear review(OR THE SENSIBLE TROUSER DEBATE)

Please post all topics related to metal detecting Clothing, bags, footwear here please.
MDF Auction - Metal Detecting Clothing
Cobs

Re: a clothing/footwear review(OR THE SENSIBLE TROUSER DEBAT

Post by Cobs »

yes for me it does feel like your lurking in the bushes and not wanting to be seen
Ive never thought about it that way Dave, i know when im looking for Tina across a field its sometimes hard to "detect" :P her depending on the scenery behind her, she probably has that happen when looking for me. Most farmers i know wear cammo gear at times lol ... were all hiding ... watching ;)

There was a good point made by someone regarding High Viz - something to consider when out in small numbers / alone ::g

YouTube Vids:
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-PJhS_ ... 4Ow/videos" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Warning - Contains Treasure n stuff

Minelab CTX 3030 / Minelab Explorer II
Treasure: 1 Gold: 2 Hammered: 2

Tinopener

Post by Tinopener »

After reading all these posts ive decided to go to my local army surplus store and get kitted out if any one would like to discuss this topic further I will be at the Medway rally.... how will you recognise me I will be the one dressed as a Japanese admiral ::g

yellow

Post by yellow »

Tinopener wrote:After reading all these posts ive decided to go to my local army surplus store and get kitted out if any one would like to discuss this topic further I will be at the Medway rally.... how will you recognise me I will be the one dressed as a Japanese admiral ::g

Quality :)) :)) :))
Minelab Explorer se pro
Cp3tt chef phones and a garrett pro-pointer

Ten pence!

Post by Ten pence! »

Tinopener wrote:After reading all these posts ive decided to go to my local army surplus store and get kitted out if any one would like to discuss this topic further I will be at the Medway rally.... how will you recognise me I will be the one dressed as a Japanese admiral ::g
I'll see you there! I'll be dressed as a US navy pilot!

fisheruk

Post by fisheruk »

Is it too simple to say army clothing is hard wearing and reasonably cheap, that's why its chosen as the preferred clothing by many for outdoor activities?
Fisher F4.
Makro Racer.
Makro Pointer
Garrett Pro Pointer.
Lesche Raptor.
Draper mini spade.

redwulf500

Post by redwulf500 »

Hi the thing is if you don't like it do not wear it end off.....

Egral

Post by Egral »

fisheruk wrote:Is it too simple to say army clothing is hard wearing and reasonably cheap, that's why its chosen as the preferred clothing by many for outdoor activities?
You'd have thought so but last night War broke out on the Forum. Luckily most people were aptly dressed for it in camouflage clothing! ::g

beaubrummell

Post by beaubrummell »

Don't know how I missed this heated debate.

I have a camo top which I got of a certain auction site for £1.05p. It has loads of pockets and is really hard wearing. Never crossed my mind that it could be construed as me being a frustrated, closet wannebe soldier. Live and learn I guess.
E-Trac
Detech Ultimate
SEF 8x6
Deteknix Wader Li Xpointer
Lesche Digging Tool
AMES entrenching tool
Souped-up Spear & Jackson mini spade
Chefphones CP2 Black
Tomcat Dakota boots
NCMD membership number 13566

Rabray

Post by Rabray »

This is a Interesting quality debate ::g . Me personally I wear camo gear as I have gear left over from my time in. I'm just chuffed to bits it still fits me now after all these years =)) :-O . On a serious note a couple of posts hit on one thing when wearing camo kit and that's "Being seen". Where I live there's a lot of shooting that goes on in my area due to the estate where I have permissions and it would be worth keeping it in mind if you are out and about bleeping in similar areas "Be bright and be seen" I would hate to thing one of use be mistaken for game in the brush (easy done ! ).

Be Safe and Good Hunting :)
Garrett AT Pro, Custom Pro mode, Ground Balanced Discrimination set to 35, Iron Audio on, Full Sensitivity.

8.5x11 DD & 5x8 DD Coils
Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Evolution Extreme Blade
Roughneck Micro Spade
Viking V5 Detector

Mac ;)

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 »

The quality and specifications for 'Army Clothing' is arrived at after much testing in a variety of weather conditions so you can be sure that if it's 'genuine' military surplus, it's going to serve you well. There's no sense in paying good money for civvy 'outdoor' clothing in my view, as it's usually produced solely with profit in mind with little if any consideration to manufacturing quality, durability or practicality. So hats off to all who have purchased MOD surplus (or are using their own issued kit).
Keep on looking, keep on finding and above all, keep on keeping on!! ::g Regards to all -ss47
A disservice is no service at all.

Redcap

Post by Redcap »

sweepstick47 wrote:The quality and specifications for 'Army Clothing' is arrived at after much testing in a variety of weather conditions so you can be sure that if it's 'genuine' military surplus, it's going to serve you well. There's no sense in paying good money for civvy 'outdoor' clothing in my view, as it's usually produced solely with profit in mind with little if any consideration to manufacturing quality, durability or practicality. So hats off to all who have purchased MOD surplus (or are using their own issued kit).
Keep on looking, keep on finding and above all, keep on keeping on!! ::g Regards to all -ss47

Top man Sweepstick, you know the score, and very much my own thoughts. ::g ::g ::g

Regards

Les ::g ::g
Nothing is more special than today.

Minelab E Trac :D

Minelab X Terra 505.
Deteknix wireless headphones.
Member of FID.

Garrett Propointer
Evolution Pro Cut Spade ::g
Evolution Extreme Blade ::g

Jungle

Post by Jungle »

New Gore-Tex jacket £20. Unbeatable value, just happens to be Camo. Hi vis vest goes over the top when required. Considered the Royal Navy/RAF versions to avoid Camo concerns (but still would not wear down pub) but they were twice the price and pockets in "wrong" place for my set up.
DEUS 9" Elliptical, 9", 11" and 13" coils, MI-6, Propointer, WS4 x 2, 2nd shaft (Upgrade path:- F75+Sunray, X-terra-50)

Skute

Post by Skute »

sweepstick47 wrote:There's no sense in paying good money for civvy 'outdoor' clothing in my view, as it's usually produced solely with profit in mind with little if any consideration to manufacturing quality, durability or practicality.
That's a huge generality that has no real objective merit to it whatsoever. Finding a few dodgy cheap and not so cheap civvie clothing items and then concluding that all civvie clothing is basically worthless as soon as you step outside is absolutely not true or not even "usually" true..

slowsweep

Post by slowsweep »

lololol..... i like this thread, its sooooo bloody ridiculous hahaha =))
lots of MD related stuff ;))

Cobs

Post by Cobs »

Lol

Went out earlier for an hour, too much cammo you think or not enough? ... i cant tell

I havent seen many recommendations from the "Civvy" world of clothes as mentioned, someone must be wearing some? What are they?

I usually wear a black North Face Goretex Jacket, i switch this to a Navy Blue "Arctic Storm" Gillet and a T-Shirt on warmer days.

... As you can see ... its quite simple to offer alternatives ... isnt it?
YouTube Vids:
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-PJhS_ ... 4Ow/videos" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Skute

Post by Skute »

I stopped being bothered about brand names years ago...Nowadays i just wear clothes. As long as they are comfortable, not camo, do the job they are supposed to do and reasonably priced it doesn't really matter what they are called....however it'd be easy to check out some brand names online and throw them up for discussion but plenty have already done that..

Verulamium

Post by Verulamium »

My local detecting club......you wanna tell them not to wear camo? ;)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Looking for stuff.....mainly in fields.......

clint

Post by clint »

Some quality posts...Japanese admiral! Nearly peed my non camo work pants! Good points about wearing some hiviz in shooting areas or when alone...I have some camo hi viz..blaze orange I think it's called. Bet you have some fun hanging with your homies there V!
Skute you are right by saying some civvy style outdoor gear is ok..I have quite a bit but I do find it overpriced by a mile. As said..real Gortex surplus in green ( I got coat and pants) new, well under £100 the two..lucky to get a cheap gortex civvy for that..AND I find the quality substandard plus ripping a hole in it isn't really a big deal. It just happens in surplus there aren't many alternatives colourwise..nice to see you back anyway.
Perhaps I should restrict my threads to the usual tat I find...

Cheers all

Clint
Etrac.13" Ultimate Coil.CP3 TT`s
8x6 sef
Euroace.
Deteknix Pointer,camo,oh yeah! ...does what it says on the box..
Garrett Propointer..ok...(now it's fixed!)
Jeff`s big tool!

lordofthecoils

Post by lordofthecoils »

:D :)) ::g ::g
Cobs wrote:Lol

Went out earlier for an hour, too much cammo you think or not enough? ... i cant tell

I havent seen many recommendations from the "Civvy" world of clothes as mentioned, someone must be wearing some? What are they?

I usually wear a black North Face Goretex Jacket, i switch this to a Navy Blue "Arctic Storm" Gillet and a T-Shirt on warmer days.

... As you can see ... its quite simple to offer alternatives ... isnt it?
heres me and the missus detecting we love camo to blend in ,so the coins cant see us coming, no coat tails on that camo :D :)) ::g ::g ::g ::g
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

f8met

Post by f8met »

The stuff in go outdoors is pretty cheap, 2 or 3 trousers are under £15 and are just as hardwearing as combat trousers. Same for the cheap fleece tops, quite a few for less than £10. I am not a fan of camouflage personally as "civi" stuff is just as good as loads of people go walking in the hills with it. There is nothing magic in the design of army surplus, indeed it is always made by the cheapest contractor.

Looking at some people at a rally last weekend, it does seem strange to see people in full kit walking around the field but each to their own. I do wear desert magnums though as they are pretty cheap and comfortable and no one wants to wear the desert stuff so much cheaper. That and a digicam bush hat similar to a Tilley that doesn't look like regular camouflage but you can fold the sides up so it doesn't get in the way of the headphones.
Dave
Deus, 9" and 11" black coil
2020 2 Hammered
Hit my 200th hammered!

Cobs

Post by Cobs »

Bloody hell Ray lol :D =)) ::g Now thats stealthy
YouTube Vids:

lordofthecoils

Post by lordofthecoils »

Cobs wrote:Bloody hell Ray lol :D =)) ::g Now thats stealthy
yep a few pots of paint ,job done .....a bit chilly in autumn though :D :)) ::g ::g ::g ::g

Koala

Post by Koala »

I like the material Craghopper use. Cotton but very tight weave. Light fairly windproof and dries really quickly. Sometimes see them in TK Maxx for around £15. Also see them in SportsDirect but dearer. Good for both winter and summer.

only down side is one splash and it looks like you have wet yourself LOL stand well back from the urinals if they start to flush ha ha

Used them for over ten years done a couple of 200+ mile hikes and 90+ mile kayaks as well as 100s of mountains. Just carry two pair. Never need ironing if you fold them well

Hard to describe the material very smooth to touch

Cobs

Post by Cobs »

Very embarrassing in the Winter too i would imagine lol

Being too over-Cammo'd can defo bring problems ...
You sometimes get Birds trying to land on you :/ ... then they attack you when you move lol
YouTube Vids:

ScotsmanInKent

Post by ScotsmanInKent »

After reading all these posts ive decided to go to my local army surplus store and get kitted out if any one would like to discuss this topic further I will be at the Medway rally.... how will you recognise me I will be the one dressed as a Japanese admiral ::g

;)) ;)) ;)) ;)) ;)) ;)) ;)) ;)) ;))

Will look out for you!

I like the London Maratrhon...it a bit boring running in a t shirt and shorts.
Getting dressed up as a Bannana or something else like that is a good idea.

Perhaps we should suggest to Pete that he holds a fancy dress competition at the rally!!

To totally hijack this thread...
Being an "old codger..." I know a lot of folks who drive vintage open cars and ride vintage motorcycles. Many of them wear leather pilots jackets and goggles and even leather helmets as they are great at keeping the wind and weather out. None of them are pretending to be Ex fighter pilots. Dont see anything wrong with camo myself but tend to wear cheap hillwalking stuff bought in the january sales at outdoor shops, or as someone else mentioned at TK Max.

SIK
2016 Finds:
3 Hammered
11 Roman
2 Milled silver
0 Sceat
0 Stater

Lots of scrap.......

syzygy

Post by syzygy »

If you were metal detecting in a gorge, you would be glad of the Camouflage. it would enable you to shoot a helicopter out of the sky with an arrow.

Titus Pantus

Post by Titus Pantus »

Mountain warehouse is a good site for cheap decent hard wearing clothes. Take a look ::g :D
Teknetics G2+ LTD
Garrett PP
Makro Waterproof Pointer
All the Evolution Gear

fisheruk

Post by fisheruk »

I use the Helly Hansen Voss Waterproof Trousers , Screwfix £16.99 you can put them over your existing trousers. Throw them in the washer machine when you get home on a quick rinse and they're good to go.
Fisher F4.
Makro Racer.
Makro Pointer
Garrett Pro Pointer.
Lesche Raptor.
Draper mini spade.

Goldyballs

Post by Goldyballs »

I am after some new waterproof trousers so cheers for the helly Hanson recommendations. Personally not a camo fan buy each to their own . Can't see its a big deal tbh.

Smithfire

Post by Smithfire »

I can recommend the brown slip on work boots from Dickies. I bought a pair a couple of years ago and they're still going strong.
Also, they dont have metal toe caps which is helpful! If I remember rightly I paid about 30 notes for them.

I also wear camo socks.....do I win a prize?

Clive

Return to “Metal Detecting Clothing Bags Backpacks footwear”