a clothing/footwear review(OR THE SENSIBLE TROUSER DEBATE)

Please post all topics related to metal detecting Clothing, bags, footwear here please.
MDF Auction - Metal Detecting Clothing
JamieB

Re: a clothing/footwear review(OR THE SENSIBLE TROUSER DEBAT

Post by JamieB » Sat May 09, 2015 7:58 pm

I wear an Armani suit and spats when I'm detecting, what, what, what!

I don't want the worms to think I'm an oik!! :;@

Youtube channel: https://youtu.be/WCVc_IFEOho" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
XP Deus + 13x11" coil
Garrett pro pointer
Hairy Coin Purse

Cobs

Post by Cobs » Sat May 09, 2015 8:14 pm

You basically told people on here that wear Cammo gear you think they all think theyre Rambo? or some statement - expect some flak back and peoples reasons for wearing them lol take it like a man, Clint did mention other alternatives to Cammo.

Haha Les - defo havent seen any crocodiles on our permissions mate ... unless Skute turns up in his Crocs >:P ;)
YouTube Vids:
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-PJhS_ ... 4Ow/videos" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Warning - Contains Treasure n stuff

Minelab CTX 3030 / Minelab Explorer II
Treasure: 1 Gold: 2 Hammered: 2

syzygy

Post by syzygy » Sat May 09, 2015 8:17 pm

I have lost all track of what is going on here now x;

Skute

Post by Skute » Sat May 09, 2015 9:02 pm

If that's what you read cob then i guess in your world that's what i wrote although if i had meant to say that believe me, i would have been much more direct.
I guess you've never heard of the tactic of provoking to induce discussion. Never mind, there's stacks of stuff i haven't heard of either. I won't hold it against you.
I'll tell you whats going on syzygy. I'm looking to see if there's any sensible people on here that'd like to offer their objective opinion on the, in my opinion, weird fad where everyone and his dog kits themselves out in camo gear as soon as they're doing anything outside. When i say everyone that is of course an exaggeration but sometimes you need to exaggerate to get a point over. Anyway, instead of that happening what has happened is a few lads have taken it personally (and you'll have to ask them why they're so insecure or touchy over that) and have fallen back on name calling and generally being pratts as a way of making their opinion seem more valid..Yeh..am i right or am i wrong, i don't know..can anyone with a bit of sense tell me without including name calling or other hostile intent?

I personally think it degrades our boys out in the world that are doing a wicked job keeping us safe...it makes me think these guys are hitching a ride on others glory.
Saying that, I know it's not true in all cases or even perhaps the majority but in some it most definitely is.....
I can also understand people wearing camo in they are hunting as that is all about staying out of sight of the prey..but metal detecting!...what prey are you guys hiding from.
Many see us as people who steal our heritage (not concerned about whether that is right or wrong)...wearing camo while detecting in my books only reinforces those opinions and adds to the sleaziness.
Ok, these are just my opinions......Cob and Co are welcome to their opinions...kids that just want to mouth off have no place here..

hotmill

Re: a clothing/footwear review

Post by hotmill » Sat May 09, 2015 9:07 pm

Skute wrote:I wonder how long it'll be before we see golfers, football/rugby spectators and every other outdoor enthusiast starts wearing army camo as standard gear. I thought it looked kinda dumb when carp fishermen started adopting camo as standard and i think it looks even dumber when metal detectorists do it. It looks sleazy as if we're trying to hide away or maybe it's just as simple as camo is gung ho and gung ho is good...i don't know.
personally i wear what is comfortable and thats it. I don't feel the need for any type of army surplus as in my books that is for active soldiers and no one else. It's almost as if some people try to cash in on that hardened soldier look...sad i think.
Army gear is durable..no doubt about that because it has to be. Civvy are not jumping in and out of trenches, doing staggered fire fights or any of the other things army gear is designed to withstand.
Nah....people that wear camo in their everyday pursuits are making a statement has more to do with their frame of mind and not a lot to do with practicality..There's shed loads of other non military clothing anyone could use. At the end of the day all we do is walk on fields and dig holes...your run of the mill brickie has more need for more durable clothing than we do...Protection from the elements and comfort can be covered in a thousand different ways without looking like some wannabe hairy arsed squaddie..
BTW .. jeans are not rubbish...rubbish jeans are rubbish so why buy rubbish jeans and not buy good ones instead ;)
People wear army surplus because it's reasonably cheap, hard wearing, warm, normally has plenty of pockets, if I tear it on barbed wire I'm not going to be as upset as I would be if I was wearing a£100 Beghaus jacket. Yes I can see us all rushing out to buy designer jeans to go detecting in. It's an outdoor persuit, not a fashion show. By the way I'm ex forces, and I couldn't care less if civvies wear camo gear, would never think for one minute anyone wearing it has delusions of being Rambo.
XP Deus user

syzygy

Post by syzygy » Sat May 09, 2015 9:08 pm

I suppose if the army use it, it must be good stuff. Sounds like you are looking for an argument to me mate.

Cobs

Post by Cobs » Sat May 09, 2015 9:11 pm

Haha now that provoked you i see even though i told it how it was read by myself and possibly others, listen son, im no kid and know sarcasm etc when i read it, if im doing anything wrong im sure an Admin will inform me, your welcome to your opinions as is everyone but do expect people to respond as you intended. Im still waiting on other people to comment here - after all the post is for all forum members to respond to ... do let them get a word in ;) keyboard over to them.
YouTube Vids:
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-PJhS_ ... 4Ow/videos" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

hotmill

Post by hotmill » Sat May 09, 2015 9:16 pm

Skute wrote:If that's what you read cob then i guess in your world that's what i wrote although if i had meant to say that believe me, i would have been much more direct.
I guess you've never heard of the tactic of provoking to induce discussion. Never mind, there's stacks of stuff i haven't heard of either. I won't hold it against you.
I'll tell you whats going on syzygy. I'm looking to see if there's any sensible people on here that'd like to offer their objective opinion on the, in my opinion, weird fad where everyone and his dog kits themselves out in camo gear as soon as they're doing anything outside. When i say everyone that is of course an exaggeration but sometimes you need to exaggerate to get a point over. Anyway, instead of that happening what has happened is a few lads have taken it personally (and you'll have to ask them why they're so insecure or touchy over that) and have fallen back on name calling and generally being pratts as a way of making their opinion seem more valid..Yeh..am i right or am i wrong, i don't know..can anyone with a bit of sense tell me without including name calling or other hostile intent?

I personally think it degrades our boys out in the world that are doing a wicked job keeping us safe...it makes me think these guys are hitching a ride on others glory.
Saying that, I know it's not true in all cases or even perhaps the majority but in some it most definitely is.....
I can also understand people wearing camo in they are hunting as that is all about staying out of sight of the prey..but metal detecting!...what prey are you guys hiding from.
Many see us as people who steal our heritage (not concerned about whether that is right or wrong)...wearing camo while detecting in my books only reinforces those opinions and adds to the sleaziness.
Ok, these are just my opinions......Cob and Co are welcome to their opinions...kids that just want to mouth off have no place here..
Hitching a ride on other peoples glory? Have a word with yourself pal! We're talking about mainly a bunch of middle aged men digging holes in fields here, not people decked out in mtp camo posing down the pub on a Saturday night! :))
XP Deus user

Count de Washers

Post by Count de Washers » Sat May 09, 2015 9:31 pm

Surely originally the Army/MOD gave approval for civilians to wear camo gear by selling off genuine army surplus in the first place, thus creating the market?
Personally I think camo is like perfume - a little goes a long way!
I cannot see much wrong in wearing it though.

lordofthecoils

Post by lordofthecoils » Sat May 09, 2015 9:38 pm

just another'old sweat with a chip on his shoulder :-/ , your not the only ex squady on here , i have done my time , my old man did 27 years ,and he was always of the opinion civvys were inferior to 'the serving man' , and even though i served three years he realy used to get on my tits :-O . your inference that only serving soldiers have the right to wear combats sound just like the old man . for god sake climb of that ex squady horse ,nobodys impressed . were all civvys now ..
yours , a ex squady ...with a chip about ex sqaudys :D :)) ::g ::g ::g ::g

syzygy

Post by syzygy » Sat May 09, 2015 9:40 pm

thanks lordofthecoils I understand what its about now.

hotmill

Post by hotmill » Sat May 09, 2015 9:48 pm

lordofthecoils wrote:just another'old sweat with a chip on his shoulder :-/ , your not the only ex squady on here , i have done my time , my old man did 27 years ,and he was always of the opinion civvys were inferior to 'the serving man' , and even though i served three years he realy used to get on my tits :-O . your inference that only serving soldiers have the right to wear combats sound just like the old man . for god sake climb of that ex squady horse ,nobodys impressed . were all civvys now ..
yours , a ex squady ...with a chip about ex sqaudys :D :)) ::g ::g ::g ::g
Spot on post Lord, I served 13 years, did Gulf war 1, and now my son is serving in the Royal electrical and mechanical engineers, to infer people are trying to ride on the coat tails of the serving military because the wear camoflage for metal detecting is really quite insulting.
XP Deus user

KeithM

Post by KeithM » Sat May 09, 2015 9:58 pm

Skute wrote: Many see us as people who steal our heritage (not concerned about whether that is right or wrong)...wearing camo while detecting in my books only reinforces those opinions and adds to the sleaziness..
'fraid I must agree with this, but- each to his own!
I tend to wear the oldest trews I have-(with long johns, if cold), any long sleeved shirt, a Regatta cargo waistcoat and frequently a hi-viz vest -especially when in my woodland permission. At the age of three score years and 13 I would like to be found if Death taps me on the shoulder,saying " Keith, walk with me". Even more so, If I break a leg or summat and I'm still able to curse and swear!
Camo? OK but wear something bright on top. You never know when you will need it.

KeithM
Stop both engines,full ahead both rudders
Growing old is compulsory: Growing up is optional
X-clacks-overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett

Tinopener

Post by Tinopener » Sat May 09, 2015 9:59 pm

This season I will be mainly wearing camo trousers pink shirt open to the navel paisley cravat brogue wellies and a parasol and a bra been wearing a bra since the wife found one in the back of the car...... ::g

Skute

Post by Skute » Sat May 09, 2015 10:00 pm

Hmm..i notice your'e all latching onto the ex squady part and ignoring the whole public perception of us nicking our own heritage while wearing camo in an attempt to hide our supposed nefarious intent.
Look to yourselves for why you've chosen to focus on one thing and not the other.
A chip on my shoulder about ex squaddies...chuckles, don't know where you got that from mate but you couldn't be more wrong..Still, i don't suppose there's any chance of changing your mind so i won't bother.
All the other remarks concerning my motives are your opinions and you're welcome to them.
So...no one has anything to add on using camo gear to hide away as if we're doing something we shouldn't be? .. or do you guys just want to carry on ranting.
If you guys want to deny there are people out there that are hitching rides on others glory then that's up to you. I know differently. Like the guy i personaly know that likes to tell everyone he was in the falklands and has even brought 2 para memorabillia to back his bogus claims up..yeh, these sad individuals are out there..but eh..thats just probably my chip talking and has no real substance in the real world..anyone would think i've touched a live wire the way some of you have got all riled up...
Am i taking the piss....for some of you, you bet. To you others i'm just woffling on looking for a bit of spice and pickle on an otherwise dreary evening.
Still think the heavy useage of camo for metal detecting is ridiculous though..That opinion aint going to change anytime soon. Any other opinions i might have stated have a bit more give in them.

syzygy

Post by syzygy » Sat May 09, 2015 10:03 pm

KeithM wrote:
Skute wrote: Many see us as people who steal our heritage (not concerned about whether that is right or wrong)...wearing camo while detecting in my books only reinforces those opinions and adds to the sleaziness..
'fraid I must agree with this, but- each to his own!
I tend to wear the oldest trews I have-(with long johns, if cold), any long sleeved shirt, a Regatta cargo waistcoat and frequently a hi-viz vest -especially when in my woodland permission. At the age of three score years and 13 I would like to be found if Death taps me on the shoulder,saying " Keith, walk with me". Even more so, If I break a leg or summat and I'm still able to curse and swear!
Camo? OK but wear something bright on top. You never know when you will need it.

KeithM
I have been fishing for 40 years. many of the people I meet wear Camo. I don't but I don't care if they do. Why would I?

lordofthecoils

Post by lordofthecoils » Sat May 09, 2015 10:14 pm

hey skute , dreary evening yes true ,and a bit of banter .....all good..... but looking back through this post ,youve insulted camo wearers and a few of the forum members . your statement,' loud mouthed kids have no place on here' is way above the norm on this forum,who the hell do you think your talking to ;;z , do stick that in your non camo pipe and smoke it mate :D :))

KeithM

Post by KeithM » Sat May 09, 2015 10:17 pm

Tinopener wrote:This season I will be mainly wearing camo trousers pink shirt open to the navel paisley cravat brogue wellies and a parasol and a bra been wearing a bra since the wife found one in the back of the car...... ::g
Oh,Yes- can we have a photo? =)) =)) =))
Stop both engines,full ahead both rudders
Growing old is compulsory: Growing up is optional
X-clacks-overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett

hotmill

Post by hotmill » Sat May 09, 2015 10:25 pm

Skute wrote:Hmm..i notice your'e all latching onto the ex squady part and ignoring the whole public perception of us nicking our own heritage while wearing camo in an attempt to hide our supposed nefarious intent.
Look to yourselves for why you've chosen to focus on one thing and not the other.
A chip on my shoulder about ex squaddies...chuckles, don't know where you got that from mate but you couldn't be more wrong..Still, i don't suppose there's any chance of changing your mind so i won't bother.
All the other remarks concerning my motives are your opinions and you're welcome to them.
So...no one has anything to add on using camo gear to hide away as if we're doing something we shouldn't be? .. or do you guys just want to carry on ranting.
If you guys want to deny there are people out there that are hitching rides on others glory then that's up to you. I know differently. Like the guy i personaly know that likes to tell everyone he was in the falklands and has even brought 2 para memorabillia to back his bogus claims up..yeh, these sad individuals are out there..but eh..thats just probably my chip talking and has no real substance in the real world..anyone would think i've touched a live wire the way some of you have got all riled up...
Am i taking the piss....for some of you, you bet. To you others i'm just woffling on looking for a bit of spice and pickle on an otherwise dreary evening.
Still think the heavy useage of camo for metal detecting is ridiculous though..That opinion aint going to change anytime soon. Any other opinions i might have stated have a bit more give in them.

I think you've just got a general hang up about people wearing camo and your perception that they're pretending to be something they're not, and as Detectorists wear it this forums given you somewhere to grind you axe. I'm not playing anymore, this is a metal detecting forum not the army rumour service website (where this type of topic is discussed ad infinitum), if you want to bash civvies for being Walts (walter Mitties or fantasists for you non military folks) that's your place not here, on our 'friendly' forum :D

By the way folks, members of the army service website sometimes 'drop' into other forums for a bit of trolling and winding people up, they then have a good hoot posting all the replies, would not be surprised if this is along those lines.
Last edited by hotmill on Sat May 09, 2015 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
XP Deus user

alfaowner

Post by alfaowner » Sat May 09, 2015 10:27 pm

I wear combat trousers ( check out the Augusts 2014 treasure hunter front cover ) I wear then only because there ripstock material and hard wearing ::g

Skute

Post by Skute » Sat May 09, 2015 10:34 pm

Great talking to you all guys...such a jolly bunch you are...good night, god bless and keep it up...even you loud mouthed kids..cya's

hotmill

Post by hotmill » Sat May 09, 2015 10:35 pm

Skute wrote:Great talking to you all guys...such a jolly bunch you are...good night, god bless and keep it up...even you loud mouthed kids..cya's
Yes it was fun, do drop by again ::g
XP Deus user

Ten pence!

Post by Ten pence! » Sat May 09, 2015 10:35 pm

I've never been in the military and have worn army surplus gear because it was cheap and hard wearing, and the contentious stuff mentioned earlier never crossed my mind.

However in recent years I have discovered Go Outdoors! hill walking trousers, Gortex and the theory behind layering clothes, so consequently I'm warmer, dryer and have better freedom of movement and don't need bulky and uncomfortable ex military gear any more.

clint

Post by clint » Sat May 09, 2015 11:03 pm

I am finding it difficult to believe the comment regarding camo wearers are latching on to anybody or anything in the military. ..
As for the public perception of us most think we are a harmless bunch of quirky middle aged or retired harmless lot wandering round fields digging up "stuff"...usually in groups and mostly in broad daylight. The illegal minority have no need for camo pants as they do it in the dark....

Regards

Clint
Etrac.13" Ultimate Coil.CP3 TT`s
8x6 sef
Euroace.
Deteknix Pointer,camo,oh yeah! ...does what it says on the box..
Garrett Propointer..ok...(now it's fixed!)
Jeff`s big tool!

lordofthecoils

Post by lordofthecoils » Sat May 09, 2015 11:04 pm

Am i taking the piss....for some of you, you bet. [ quote from skute[]

that my friend is way over the top ,in my opinion your just out to cause trouble ,like any naughty boy should be removed from the classroom, if i was a moderater you would be removed forthwith......ray

Cobs

Post by Cobs » Sat May 09, 2015 11:13 pm

I fully agree there Ray, hes just out to get backs up for some reason, perhaps he had a beasting when he was in the Army Cadets for that week? Definately ruined Clints thread with his silly perceptions.
YouTube Vids:

Koala

Post by Koala » Sat May 09, 2015 11:57 pm

Nothing expensive

Depends on the weather.

Normal cloths in normal weather LOL

Warm cloths in cold weather LOL

Waterproof clothes wet weather LOL

and light cloths in hot weather LOL

Do always wear long trousers and shirt though keeps the bits down and the sun off me. Thinking of getting an nice wide brim hat this year to keep the sun off my face a bit.

hotmill

Post by hotmill » Sun May 10, 2015 12:04 am

Koala wrote:Nothing expensive

Depends on the weather.

Normal cloths in normal weather LOL

Warm cloths in cold weather LOL

Waterproof clothes wet weather LOL

and light cloths in hot weather LOL

Do always wear long trousers and shirt though keeps the bits down and the sun off me. Thinking of getting an nice wide brim hat this year to keep the sun off my face a bit.

Wise words there, wise words.
XP Deus user

AndyM

Post by AndyM » Sun May 10, 2015 12:26 am

Check out the Army Rumour Service website, enter the word WALT in the search box and you will see in the Arsepedia section that metal detecting doesnt have its own category yet!

If you care to read it you may learn what the people that wear camouflage for a living think of those that wear it for fun.

Caution may be required as the Army sense of humour is very twisted and sometimes very rude.

yellow

Post by yellow » Sun May 10, 2015 12:29 am

Gentleman and any ladies...please be aware that I'm watching this thread....

Personally I don't care what you wear,for me I've never seen the attraction to the cami route...yes for me it does feel like your lurking in the bushes and not wanting to be seen...on the other hand I can also see the durability of it in comparrison to other clothing.

I have a tendency of wearing brown karrimor boots, black crag hopper lined trousers and a number of differerent overcoats ...no special underwear etc lololol.

People of every hobby will wear whatever they feel comfortable in,some will want to be ahead of others, some behind and others don't care...I'm the latter I'm afraid..I do whats comfy for me ::g

Please also be aware that this is a forum,whilst all types of debate...on both sides of any subject is good for people's knowledge, I WILL NOT ALLOW ANY ISSUES DEPICTING ANY PERSONAL CONFLICT,..

If you read this and decide that rather than debate,you would rather get one up on someone..this is not the place for you, and you won't last long here either.....we run a fair site,with fair debate And conversation...as I hope you will see this as too....

Any further info regarding my post then pleas feel free to contact me, also feel free to wear camo gear, a tutu or jeans..I don't really care, nor does 99% of this forum.

As already said, if you wish to have a serious discussion regarding what you like to wear whilst detecting, then carry on..if not you know where to go

Yellow [:)
Minelab Explorer se pro
Cp3tt chef phones and a garrett pro-pointer

Return to “Metal Detecting Clothing Bags Backpacks footwear”