Gloves that tick all the boxes...

Please post all topics related to metal detecting Clothing, bags, footwear here please.
MDF Auction - Metal Detecting Clothing
samuraitrev

Gloves that tick all the boxes...

Post by samuraitrev » Sat Dec 27, 2014 3:30 pm

I've never really had any decent detecting gloves.
They either tear apart and develop holes after a few all day sessions
or let water in
or my fingers freeze in them
or are too thick to press the buttons on my Deus remote.
I know I can go and look at all the many manufacturers makes but I value your advice on here as you're the guys out there using them in the field on a regular basis.

Do you know of any gloves that are resilient, waterproof, warm but not too thick? Or am I after future technology :))
Any advice greatly appreciated.

Derbyshire based concealed junk removal operative.
Hammered (see Opportunity Nox Day 1)

hihosilver

Re: Gloves that tick all the boxes...

Post by hihosilver » Sat Dec 27, 2014 3:49 pm

None will tick all those boxes that I've found. You would have to wear two different pairs to do so.

Nitrile gloves are good cheap throw aways. Last a few sessions, then you toss them.

Kevlar type nitriles cost a bit more but protect you from broken glass and such. Good for on beaches. They come in a few different thicknesses. Last longer than normal nitrile.

As for waterproof, well that means your hands will sweat as that will mean latex or rubber gloves underneath, plus once they get wet they can freeze/stick (depending on the outside temperature) to your fingers making them a pain to get off.

There are water-resistant type gloves which are normally mislabeled as 'waterproof'. You stick those into any water when it's cold you're going to know about it pretty quickly. =)) Most claim to be breathable or windproof, maybe expensive ones would be good initially but will soon develop holes in the fingertips.

I find that kevlar ones coupled with very thin thermal gloves underneath are good for around -5C on a beach. Thicker nitrile ones are good for on land. If your fingers get too cold then just shove them into your armpit for a few seconds. Disposable and large quantity packets of cheap ones is what I've settled on nowadays.

Washing machines solve all mud/cowshit in the armpit clothing problems. :D ::g
Current setup:
XP Deus v2.0, MINELAB Equinox 800 v1.7.5, GARRETT Pro-Pointer
MD'ing since Sept '11

Looking for a friendly club in the Bristol and Somerset area? Contact us at:
www.wessexsearchers.club

topcat

Post by topcat » Sat Dec 27, 2014 4:33 pm

I have tried lots of gloves for detecting , when i was at work i could not wear any as a plumber as you needed to feel what you were doing when working with iron and copper pipework the physical exercise kept you warm . but i have found the best way to keep your hands warm while detecting is to wear a pair of skiing gloves and to remove them when extracting finds this way the glove stays warm and dry and your hands warm up as soon as you replace the glove

Fisher1266X

Post by Fisher1266X » Sat Dec 27, 2014 4:45 pm

A difficult one indeed.... "Catch 22".... thick waterproof MTB gloves are brilliant as they breathe well due to the excess exertion created whilst mountain biking but absolutely soot at trying to press buttons on a machine.

I've found, as I'm sure that many of you have, that after a few minutes your hands actually do warm up a little if it's only -1C ..... this normally happens after you get out of a lovely warm vehicle with all its creature comforts. You only need to get out of that vehicle and encounter a slight breeze of say 10 MPH and you are thrown back to the Ice Age!

Add moisture to that scenario and your body heat will wick away heat 25 times faster than air. That means, in a nutshell, that you will feel miserable after only 5 mins instead of 1 hour 25 minutes! ;)

Rain or sweat will do the damage so it's imperative that you have gloves that keep out the rain and evaporate the sweat equally.... a very hard choice!

Holding a cup of coffee may suffice but even that will cool down very quickly in sub-zero temperatures :(

We're out tomorrow in temps of 0 degrees but with the wind chill factor this will drop to -3 degrees :-SS

HS
The PAST
::g
Image XP Déus V5.2

If you don't hear it, it's not there!

Jordan

Post by Jordan » Sat Dec 27, 2014 5:01 pm

Traffi glove makes some great gloves, perfect for metal detecting. They arent water proof but they are rubberised on the palm and fingers sides so are very good for most sites and conditions.

The red ones are best, there are two versions, "nimble" and "agile" not much difference between the two in my own experience. The size 9's will fit most mens average size hands.

If your struggling to find some Sam, send me a pm and i will see what i can send you...hey its Christmas after all :)

Jordan

Post by Jordan » Sat Dec 27, 2014 5:28 pm

Just read my post back...I sound like a "Traffi glove" salesman, which I must say I am not. (A friend of mine owns a small engineering company and buys them in bulk for the staff) The offer of sending you some still stands. ::g

fisheruk

Post by fisheruk » Sat Dec 27, 2014 5:47 pm

Polyco Mad Grip gloves look good.
Fisher F4.
Makro Racer.
Makro Pointer
Garrett Pro Pointer.
Lesche Raptor.
Draper mini spade.

Ray

Post by Ray » Sat Dec 27, 2014 7:06 pm

As someone else suggested, if it's very cold I wear two pairs. A thin pair first, then Under Armour mitts, which I take off once the hole is dug. Use the same principle for golf. It's a bit of a fiddle but certainly keeps hands warm.
Deus

mrix
Founder

Post by mrix » Sat Dec 27, 2014 7:17 pm

Many members highly rated the Black Mamber cloves when they offered a Free trial pair on the net, we currently have them listed on the MDF Auction below..

10 pack - Black Mamba Nitrile Gloves.

100 pack - Black Mamba Nitrile Gloves.

They are meant to be highly resilient, waterproof etc but as for warm I have no idea, members have purchased these gloves so hopefully they can respond with their experiences ::g

Best of luck in whatever you decide
Cheers
mrix

hihosilver

Post by hihosilver » Sat Dec 27, 2014 7:25 pm

Further to what I said earlier, when I said nitrile I meant the nitrile or latex coated ones, they are coated on the fingers and the palm area so they let you grip things while remaining comfortable for the winter months. The other total hand nitrile ones are better for when it's warmer. They're surprisingly rip resistant too for such a thin material.
Current setup:
XP Deus v2.0, MINELAB Equinox 800 v1.7.5, GARRETT Pro-Pointer
MD'ing since Sept '11

Looking for a friendly club in the Bristol and Somerset area? Contact us at:
www.wessexsearchers.club

THE MOLE

Post by THE MOLE » Sat Dec 27, 2014 7:41 pm

imo you cant beat these mate, warm,waterproof,breathable and not too thick that you cant feel what your doing. 1 pair has lasted me over a year.

wouldnt be without these now

cheers neil.

http://www.thesafetysupplycompany.co.uk ... #.VJ8K3siM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by THE MOLE on Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just using the Force Image

Ten pence!

Post by Ten pence! » Sat Dec 27, 2014 7:50 pm

I've tried various neoprene gloves including the ones where you can roll back the thumb and forefinger to operate controls and pick up finds, but they are poor at keeping your hands warm as the material is naturally "cold" they also tend to be on the tight side causing fatigue in the hand grasping the detector, I've tried motorcycle type gloves which do keep you warm but also turn your hands into something as dexterous as a bunch of bananas and are a bit of a pain to keep taking on and off.

I've finally settled on a pair of thick knitted gloves that I picked up recently from B&M for the princely sum of £2.99, far warmer than neoprene and non constrictive and easier to remove that motorcycle gauntlets but not quite as warm, these have proved the best compromise, in addition anything that locks in sweat or perspiration as do many of the latex type gloves will leave you with cold hands before long in my experience.

deltron

Post by deltron » Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:17 pm

I use 3mm divers gloves, a little bit thick but warm and 100% water proof

DirtyAce

Post by DirtyAce » Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:23 pm

I use the two in the links below dependant on weather. The thermal gloves are easy to slip on and off and are warm...
the thinner gloves are good in warm weather but dont like water and can be a pain to get off.
Cheap as chips though.

http://www.toolstation.com/m/part.html?p=79974" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.toolstation.com/m/part.html?p=51069" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
One mans junk is another mans junk.

Garrett Euro Ace + Nel Tornado
Garrett Pro Pointer

Dave8472

Post by Dave8472 » Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:38 am

I have been using Click 2000 ones for some time

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Tiger Gloves are good for the warmer weather

I also put both these on together in the colder and wetter months

Dave &*(
Minelab CTX3030 : 17", 11", 6" Coils
Minelab Equinox 800 : 15", 11" Coils
XP Deus V3.2 - WS5 : 9" Coil
Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Garmin eTrex 20 GPS

redwulf500

Post by redwulf500 » Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:04 am

hi i am using these 230712829543 up to now they have been fine ,seem to get warmer the longer you wear them ... ::g

Titus Pantus

Post by Titus Pantus » Sun Dec 28, 2014 12:25 pm

http://elite-supplies.com/product/snowf ... ted-sz-xl/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Might tick all the boxes. ::g
Teknetics G2+ LTD
Garrett PP
Makro Waterproof Pointer
All the Evolution Gear

Slowsearcher

Post by Slowsearcher » Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:35 am

Titus Pantus wrote:http://elite-supplies.com/product/snowf ... ted-sz-xl/

Thanks for the link these seem worth a try plus its free postage .

STIG

Post by STIG » Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:44 am

THE MOLE wrote:imo you cant beat these mate, warm,waterproof,breathable and not too thick that you cant feel what your doing. 1 pair has lasted me over a year.

wouldnt be without these now

cheers neil.

http://www.thesafetysupplycompany.co.uk ... #.VJ8K3siM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I agree mate, mint gloves. ::g
Dirige Deus Gressus Meos. ' May the Lord Direct my Steps '

Etrac and Tons of Gear

Gold = 1
Silver = 14
Hammered = 1
Bronze = 1 Ring
Copper = 132 Coins
Musket Balls = 53
Bag Seals = 23
Artefacts = 7
Jetons = 1

Danzigman

Post by Danzigman » Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:57 am

Titus Pantus wrote:http://elite-supplies.com/product/snowf ... ted-sz-xl/

Do the Snowflex Latex Thermal Winter glove cost £ 6:87 pair ??..
I personally use the Palm Gloves/Click 2000 or similar and almost never have glove on the hand that uses the controle unit.. But of course the thum could be cut of the glove.. As a craftsman we get them cheap and use at work to.. they will wear out after a few days in garden, but last long long time at detecting.. ::g
XP DEUS. GPP VII. GARMIN etrex 20.
http://s1222.photobucket.com/user/Danzigman/library/

fred

Post by fred » Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:08 pm

I wear proper leather gloves (from a car boot fair) with a cheap thin rubber glove over them. The leather gloves last for years although the 'outer casing' has to be lobbed every month or so. Even if the leather gloves do get wet they still keep you warm. the only drawback is that I have to remember to take them apart at the end of each detecting session and put them on the back shelf to let them dry out.
Equinox 800 x2

Scott T

Post by Scott T » Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:44 pm

Click 2000 "PUGGIES" and maxiflex for me. Cheap too ::g :D ::g

MetalMonkey

Post by MetalMonkey » Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:28 pm

I've bought a pair of gloves that Mole mentioned and they really are the bizz, they keep your hands dry and warm excellent gloves for this hobby.
Highly recommended ::g ::g ::g ::g ::g

Happy Hunting
MetalMonkey ::g
XP Deus V 3.2
Garret Pro Pointer
Roughneck Mini Shovel (Broken)
Silverline round nose shovel
Trowel
Ultimate Finds Pouch
Bad Back(very))

THE MOLE

Post by THE MOLE » Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:00 pm

MetalMonkey wrote:I've bought a pair of gloves that Mole mentioned and they really are the bizz, they keep your hands dry and warm excellent gloves for this hobby.
Highly recommended ::g ::g ::g ::g ::g

Happy Hunting
MetalMonkey ::g
you wont go wrong with them matey ::g ive had mine in the washing machine as well no probs. although i wouldn't put them in to often.
mine are well over a year old now and still like new
neil.
Just using the Force Image

Wansdyke44

Post by Wansdyke44 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:42 pm

lidl working gloves, warm and flexible enough to feel finds and use my controls!
In the Zone with the Garrett carrot!

My Finds Gallery

Discosfa

Post by Discosfa » Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:53 pm

Hi all,
I have just been to my local store called "THE RANGE" and bought a pair of "Briars general worker" gloves for £2.49 they are light weight with palm and fingertip protection.
link for them below.
These are the same ones but online as "The Range" did not have them on their own website.

Roy.

norfolkbill

Post by norfolkbill » Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:34 am

Wansdyke44 wrote:lidl working gloves, warm and flexible enough to feel finds and use my controls!
I use the Aldi ones ,wool back rubber front and fingers pimpled for grip .One pair lasts a dozen trips or more and at £2.99 for three pairs won't break the bank, in black or red and 2 sizes. ::g

Shawshank

Post by Shawshank » Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:30 pm

I use the nitrile type of glove branded Warrior after someone recommended them on here

I bought a dozen pairs for about £7. They are ideal for Spring, Summer, Autumn wear but you may want a thicker version for the depths of Winter.

The best part about these gloves is that although they seem to offer really good protection against glass and nasties in the soil they are thin enough to still be able to feel even tiny finds and operate the detector. I thought I'd get through a pair a session originally but I'm only one my second pair after about a dozen outings.

My winter nitrile gloves cost me about £5 just for a pair and are not wildly impressive to be honest as although they are warm they are a bit too thick so I'll be looking out for something better when things get freezing.
Ace 250
T2
Deus

Mikeh1985

Post by Mikeh1985 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:53 am

I've tried so many gloves. From 15 pound per pair to latex doctor gloves. And the best I have found is.......
B&Q gloves to be the best. There about 2-3 quid. Black soft rubber fingers up to the palm and then grey fabric. Had the same pair about 8 months and there still in excellent condition...

f8met

Post by f8met » Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:09 pm

I use the nitrile ones with cloth back from poundland. Last a month or so and then throw away for a new pair. Always have 2 or 3 pairs in the car in case they get wet or too dirty.
Dave
Deus, 9" and 11" black coil
2019 16 Hammered

Return to “Metal Detecting Clothing Bags Backpacks footwear”