Warm socks!

Please post all topics related to metal detecting Clothing, bags, footwear here please.
MDF Auction - Metal Detecting Clothing
liamnolan
Location: Hemswell, Lincolnshire. originally from Dublin, southern Ireland

Warm socks!

Post by liamnolan » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:28 pm

Hi all, I popped into Sports Direct yesterday to buy some squash balls and there was a stand at the entrance with a display for "Heat Holders" The ultimate Thermal Sock.
I decided to buy a pair at the reduced price of £6.99 as they promised;
Advanced Insulating Yarn - Long Looped Thermal Pile - Soft Brushed Inner plus a soft and wide fitting on the leg. Just the socks for my cold wellies on cold mornings, I thought!
Anyway, I decided to wear them today, not been out detecting as it is frozen but a sock is a sock.
They are SO comfy and very, very warm, too warm in fact as I am indoors.
Not sure if they will survive the wash and still be as comfy, thick, soft and luxurious but I hope so and they should make my wellies feel a lot warmer and cushioned.
Liam ;)

Deus, WSi's - In the end we will regret the chances we didn't take, the relationships we were afraid to have and decisions we waited too long to make .. Spokesperson Irish Metal Detecting Society IMDS Vice President European Council for Metal Detecting

loud ed

Re: Warm socks!

Post by loud ed » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:30 pm

there even cheaper at GO OUTDOORS they have branches all over the country they also do some brilliant outdoor clothing
XP DEUS USER

jesterjim

Post by jesterjim » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:32 pm

Hi Liam....

We'll look forward to regular 'Sock' updates then......No Sweat!.....

Jim. =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =))

liamnolan

Post by liamnolan » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:35 pm

jesterjim wrote:Hi Liam....

We'll look forward to regular 'Sock' updates then......No Sweat!.....

Jim. =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =))
Thanks Jim! I am always keen to get anything to make life easier, must be my advancing years, Liam ;)
Deus, WSi's - In the end we will regret the chances we didn't take, the relationships we were afraid to have and decisions we waited too long to make .. Spokesperson Irish Metal Detecting Society IMDS Vice President European Council for Metal Detecting

Beany_bot

Post by Beany_bot » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:39 pm

I got a pack of "wool winter" type socks from Aldi when they were doing their winter gear, they were only a couple of quid for 3 pairs, I also bought for £1 a pack of 2 fleece insoles from aldi at the same time.

The combination of fleece insoles and two pairs of the woolen socks and I can stand for hours on end in -4 degrees in my dunlop wellies with absolutely toasty feet! all for less than a fiver. Plus ive got a spare pair of socks and insoles.

liamnolan

Post by liamnolan » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:50 pm

Its a sad fact that when your feet freeze up, the day is finished as regards enjoying the detecting.
I taught PE for many, many years and a tip we used when having to stand for hours in one spot, refereeing from the side in a freezing sportshall was to stand on a swimming float as it insulated against the cold. Weird but it worked a treat! Liam B-)

jesterjim

Post by jesterjim » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:53 pm

Trouble with that for me Beany is that if I put that lot on I wouldn't be able to get my size twelves in the wellies....they're tight as it is!.................Never had to put up with cold feet in the D&T workshops Liam.....only when out on playground duty or covering for one of the PE staff!...

Jim. :)) :)) :)) :))

Beany_bot

Post by Beany_bot » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:54 pm

jesterjim wrote:Trouble with that for me Beany is that if I put that lot on I wouldn't be able to get my size twelves in the wellies....they're tight as it is!.................Never had to put up with cold feet in the D&T workshops Liam.....only when out on playground duty or covering for one of the PE staff!...

Thats true Jim, with two pairs on the wellies are certainly snug but luckily for me "just perfectly snug".

STIG

Post by STIG » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:55 pm

2 Pairs of fishing socks on Ebay for the price of them socks, Long & Warm & ideal for wellies .. Mmmmmmm .. ;)
Dirige Deus Gressus Meos. ' May the Lord Direct my Steps '

Etrac and Tons of Gear

Gold = 1
Silver = 14
Hammered = 1
Bronze = 1 Ring
Copper = 132 Coins
Musket Balls = 53
Bag Seals = 23
Artefacts = 7
Jetons = 1

Skint Eastwood

Post by Skint Eastwood » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:57 pm

loud ed wrote:there even cheaper at GO OUTDOORS they have branches all over the country they also do some brilliant outdoor clothing
Go outdoors do some good stuff i bought a high gear suit out of there with a fleece for 40 quid its totally water proof well warm and ive used it a lot any of my fishing suits would have had it by now as for socks thats the hardest bit for me keeping me feet warm nothing seems to work

loud ed

Post by loud ed » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:02 pm

another tip to help keep your feet warm is not to have tight fitting socks or boots cos it cuts off the circulation
make sure that you use insoles as well
and wear a hat most of your body heat is lost though your head

and yes i will be going detecting on sunday in the sub zero weather
XP DEUS USER

Beany_bot

Post by Beany_bot » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:07 pm

loud ed wrote: and wear a hat most of your body heat is lost though your head
I'm going to respectfully disagree, its actually only about 10% - http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2008/ ... nbehaviour" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

GREGGOWREX

Post by GREGGOWREX » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:08 pm

a slight deviation from the topic...but us older generation at infants and juniors had to wear grey shorts that stopped just above the knee in all weathers ....brrr it was cold and if you complained to your mum or dad ...it was a slap on the back of the legs ...warmed them up for you tho :))
If I was to live to over 300 years old , would I end up in a museum ?
Euro tek pro 11inch coil
The early bird gets the worm , The second mouse GETS the cheese ;)

jesterjim

Post by jesterjim » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:11 pm

Ha!.....I remember that Greg!.......used to sting something rotten!.....

Skint Eastwood

Post by Skint Eastwood » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:12 pm

loud ed wrote:another tip to help keep your feet warm is not to have tight fitting socks or boots cos it cuts off the circulation
make sure that you use insoles as well
and wear a hat most of your body heat is lost though your head

and yes i will be going detecting on sunday in the sub zero weather
Thanks for the tips mate

westy100

Post by westy100 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:25 pm

Hi All.
If it's of any use to you guys looking to keep your feet warm whilst out and about, Cotton Traders are selling waterproof boots at £22 at the moment in their sale, i have a pair that i paid a lot more for some years ago and i can honestly say they are brill,ok they are prob more suited for hiking but they look the part even to go to the pub in,chunky,waterproof and very warm and comfy well worth the money, advertising done,any chance of a job Fran Cotton lol.

Gwawrer

Post by Gwawrer » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:39 pm

I had those socks hot socks doubled looped ecetere's and thermal insoles in my wellies last Sunday and my feet were still freezing. Maybe I the soles of the wellies are not thick enough and perhaps I will try fleece insoles. I am fine in my walking boots warm feet, but the field was too wet last week for boots.
Its better out of the ground and in your hand for the history or monetary value rather than left in the ground to rot doing nothing for anyone.
Member of Cheshire Metal Detecting Society
In love with Mr Deus for ever.

billy fishpond

Post by billy fishpond » Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:29 am

i wear sealskinz water proof socks, i descovered them whilst serving in the infantry, they are the best on the market :D
Last edited by billy fishpond on Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
E-TRAC

Beany_bot

Post by Beany_bot » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:01 am

billy fishpond wrote:i wear seal skin water proof socks, i descovered them whilst serving in the infantry, they are the best on the market :D

Was that you I saw out detecting in these :-O

http://yellowairplane.com/North_Pole_20 ... oots_1.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

=)) =)) =))

Ringpullstiltskin

Post by Ringpullstiltskin » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:20 am

I'd love a pair of them but they look two deer for me =)) =))

Rozza
stiltskin

Started Oct 2010, Ace 250 & AT Pro Int

Ringpullstiltskin's Metal Detecting Finds

Ringpullstiltskin's Poems

billy fishpond

Post by billy fishpond » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:23 am

Was that you I saw out detecting in these :-O

http://yellowairplane.com/North_Pole_20 ... oots_1.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

=)) =)) =))[/quote]

lol not quite mate =)) =)) =))
E-TRAC

creakingjoints

Post by creakingjoints » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:53 pm

hi,not quite socks but as you are from norwich look in roys.i bought some fur lined ,short wellies,great gear if you can take the earache from your mates about borrowing the missuses boots.very warm and comfy.

Hammy

Post by Hammy » Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:15 pm

Being a keen angler too I've tried out just about every boot and sock combo you can imagine, including the much touted Skeetex boots and Sealskinz socks. (At an extortionate £28 pair. :-O )

In the very coldest weather there is simply no way I can keep my feet warm normally, no matter what I wear. However I tried a new product on Monday whilst spending a day on a freezing East coast beach. I think they're simply called 'Warm Feet', but they are like a pair of thin insoles which when taken from their protective packaging start a chemical reaction and heat up, much the same as the various heat pads you can buy for your back. They cost £3.50 a pair, so they're probably only something you'd want to use in absolutely dire conditions, and last for around five or six hours. And they genuinely work! I will definitely be using them again on those days when I should stay indoors -but don't. ;)

BTW I also have Brasher and Meindl walking boots, both of which will keep your feet 100% dry with a decent pair of gaters. Dry feet are key to warm feet and in respect of outdoor footwear I'm afraid you do get what you pay for.
My Pictures Click here to view My Pctures

topcat

Post by topcat » Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:39 pm

When i worked on building sites in the winter i had to rear wellington boots i bought some boot liners you could wear them for 2 days and they would wick the sweat away from your feet and the feet would stay very warm after 2 days you washed them and then used them again i could work all day in the mud and water and have nice warm feet [:)

loud ed

Post by loud ed » Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:59 pm

Beany_bot wrote:
loud ed wrote: and wear a hat most of your body heat is lost though your head
I'm going to respectfully disagree, its actually only about 10% - http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2008/ ... nbehaviour" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
depends on how little hair you have ;)
XP DEUS USER

Return to “Metal Detecting Clothing Bags Backpacks footwear”