Rechargeable batteries for dummies

Please post all topics related to metal detecting Batteries here please.
MDF Auction - Metal Detector Batteries
jeap

Rechargeable batteries for dummies

Post by jeap » Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:58 am

Hi all,

I know there are a number of threads on rechargeable batteries, but despite reading them I'm still non the wiser. I want to get a 9v for my pinpointer and 4 AA's for my Garrett EuroAce (I know I need spares) - can someone give me a readily available brand that doesn't cost the earth. Threads go on about different voltages and length of time vs alkaline, but I just want a set that won't ruin my machine and will last a reasonable length of time (I also know that battery life depends on how you use the machine).

I've checked the manual and it mentions 1.5v/cell lithium rechargeable as fine but not 3.7v/cell - is this better than NiMH. I'm sure I'm reading far too much into this and would do fine with any set off the shelf from the supermarket, but one of you wise ladies and gents might know differently.

Cheers,

Jeap

nellyt5

Re: Rechargeable batteries for dummies

Post by nellyt5 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:21 am

hi bud
if its any help, my newly acquired xp adventis 2 takes 8x aa batterys, I used it for a bit with the Duracell alkalines,but it decided it would be more cost effective if I bought some rechargables,

so like you I was flummoxed as to which to get, in the end I finally went for the Duracell rechargeables , I plumped for the 2500 ma ones that cost me a £26.00 then bought a proper xp on board charger for £29 , so £55 in all , but I wont have to buy batteries for a long time

8x 1.5v = 12v
but
8x 1.2v = 9.6v

so 2.4v less than the alkalines but the machine seems to work just fine, no noticeable difference

hope this is of some help to you
regards nel
xp adventis 2 & ws1,s

beep-and-dig

Post by beep-and-dig » Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:35 am

Maplins Electronics have a wide selection of batteries and chargers,and at very reasonable
prices, and very helpful staff ::g

smudge.g

Post by smudge.g » Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:42 am

Hi, my son brought me a Energiser battery charger and 2400mah AA batteries over a year ago and they are brilliant. I use them in my Euroace and probably get 10-15 hours out of each charge. I have never tried 9v rechargeables so just use normal energiser batteries in my x-pointer, which I have only changed twice in a year! HH.
As the Germans 'might' say:-

"SchvinginbleepindigginundFindenstuff!!!"

new XP Deus/11in coil: 1 silver sixpence 1 foot down!! most impressive.

Mega B

Post by Mega B » Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:14 pm

Will be ordering a pack of 10 Eneloop batteries for my MP,as it all ready has a inbuilt charger it seems the logic way forward,the MP can really cane normal alkaline batteries,so hence going down the rechargeable route.

The Eneloop batteries are not the cheapest as many are far cheaper,but i am thinking that they are not only going too last possibly twice as long longevity wise but also a much more reliable output as well,these cheaper ones offer in all the sales blurb higher rating but often made from inferior material and infact although they state what the output is they are often re-labelled lower power batteries.So this is the logic behind me buying the slightly more expensive ones but in the long term may work out actually cheaper.

This will do till i work out if i can install a far better battery solution for the long term for say a weekend detecting session or even a bank holiday rally.

This is of course just my personal opinion on what i am doing.
Nexus MP,Nexus SE,TDI Pro,Fisher TW-5 twin box,Equinox,Deus.

Bargeman

Post by Bargeman » Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:18 pm

An important thing to remember when using rechargeable batteries, is to keep them in sets, so if your machine has eight, and you have a spare set, so sixteen in total, mark them up as set (1) and set (2) and keep them in those sets for both use and charging. The batteries will work better, and last longer by doing this.

Walk that line, torn apart
spend your whole life trying.
Ride that train, free your heart,
it's midnight up in Harlem.

Midnight in Harlem, Tedeschi Trucks Band

jeap

Post by jeap » Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:15 pm

Thanks all for your replies - some useful advice there for us dunces. I was thinking I'd attach a wind turbine to mine and generate enough energy to power three or four without batteries.

Jeap

detective

Post by detective » Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:55 pm

Rechargeables won't last as long because of the lower voltage - 9.6v vs 12v, although machines ought to cater for that and run OK. Duracells supplied with my machine are 1500mAh, but I use 2500 mAh rechargeables to get a bit longer use out of them.

Higher mAh will give you longer running time.

Bridex

Post by Bridex » Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:11 pm

I use these in my E-Trac, and have done so for a few years without any problems at all.
Slow 'Self-Discharge' means they are always available when I need them.

http://www.vapextech.co.uk/fast-smart-c ... -plus-8aa/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.vapextech.co.uk/batteries/st ... discharge/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And this one in my Garret probe ............

http://www.vapextech.co.uk/pp3-280mah-n ... with-case/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
si in dubium effodere

Steevo45

Post by Steevo45 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:36 pm

Very much a newcomer to metal detecting, but can vouch for eneloop batteries. Used them for years in cameras and such. They last ages and keep there charge unlike most rechargeables. Definetly worth the extra cost. Went from using 4 duracells in my camera most times I used it to only having to charge the eneloops every 3-4 times

Mega B

Post by Mega B » Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:38 pm

@ Bridex,thanks for the links,just a quick question as you are user of these batteries,do you have to use a special battery charger that they supply or can you charge them for any charger that can recharge AA batteries ?? on the Nexus MP they have a inbuilt charger for AA batteries and was wondering if they will charge them while they are in the machine,dont fancy keep taking them out all the time as its alot easier to just plug in the charger that i have.

Gut feeling tells me i could be able and charge the batteries while insitu,will look into buying some of these as other have had some great success use them with a Nexus as they are battery hungry machines and require 10 in a pack.

Update-just read that they can be charged exactly the same as normal Rechargeable batteries,so game on as they say ::g
Nexus MP,Nexus SE,TDI Pro,Fisher TW-5 twin box,Equinox,Deus.

Bridex

Post by Bridex » Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:45 pm

Mega B wrote:@ Bridex,thanks for the links,just a quick question as you are user of these batteries,do you have to use a special battery charger that they supply or can you charge them for any charger that can recharge AA batteries ?? on the Nexus MP they have a inbuilt charger for AA batteries and was wondering if they will charge them while they are in the machine,dont fancy keep taking them out all the time as its alot easier to just plug in the charger that i have.

Gut feeling tells me i could be able and charge the batteries while insitu,will look into buying some of these as other have had some great success use them with a Nexus as they are battery hungry machines and require 10 in a pack.

Update-just read that they can be charged exactly the same as normal Rechargeable batteries,so game on as they say ::g
I use the charger in the web link, but I would say that any charger for Ni-mh batteries would be suitable, the higher the charger output - the quicker they will recharge.
Plus they are slow discharge, and according to the makers will retain 90% of their charge after 12 months, not that I've ever tested that as mine are used frequently.
Also I have two sets of these, one set in the E-T and the others in reserve.
si in dubium effodere

Return to “Metal Detector Batteries”