9v battery link for those interested

Please post all topics related to metal detecting Batteries here please.
MDF Auction - Metal Detector Batteries
Rivers rat

9v battery link for those interested

Post by Rivers rat » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:45 am

Hi chaps while looking for 9v battery for my HEADHUNTER PI i found those battery a bit pricey but only 4 gr of gold :)) :)) :))

https://www.buyabattery.co.uk/4-x-ipowe ... r-kit.html

RR

Owner of a Foster PI one of the Enlightened few
Tools of the trade as of 2019: Lobos/Silver sabre/GMP/Deus/1266X/F75DST/Xterra 705/ctx 3030/Goldscan g5c/Goldbug pro

ROCK HOPPER

Re: 9v battery link for those interested

Post by ROCK HOPPER » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:36 am

Hi!
I use Headhunter Waders with two different sizes coils.
The batteries I use are from Lidl or Aldi 9v which I think are £2,99 which are 200mAh, they have been recharged hundreds of times each. Also use their AA's.
A bit cheaper than £100.
I would rather rely on old tec than try the new tec until it has been proven.

Koala

Post by Koala » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:36 pm

Rivers rat wrote:Hi chaps while looking for 9v battery for my HEADHUNTER PI i found those battery a bit pricey but only 4 gr of gold :)) :)) :))

https://www.buyabattery.co.uk/4-x-ipowe ... r-kit.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

RR
I need to sit down

Feeling faint :D :D

Only batteries that need a bank loan

Rivers rat

Post by Rivers rat » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:54 pm

ROCK HOPPER wrote:Hi!
I use Headhunter Waders with two different sizes coils.
The batteries I use are from Lidl or Aldi 9v which I think are £2,99 which are 200mAh, they have been recharged hundreds of times each. Also use their AA's.
A bit cheaper than £100.
I would rather rely on old tec than try the new tec until it has been proven.

Thats a VLF right??? The PI use 2 every 6 hours.....but anyway thanks for the cheaper alternative B-) B-) B-)

RR
Tools of the trade as of 2019: Lobos/Silver sabre/GMP/Deus/1266X/F75DST/Xterra 705/ctx 3030/Goldscan g5c/Goldbug pro

ROCK HOPPER

Post by ROCK HOPPER » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:22 pm

Yes the Waders run at 2.4 VLF.
I got both of them at a very good price as people seem not to know how good they are.
As they are very light I can swing it all day with no problems.
The one with the 10in coil I bought as a spare as it was local, the first time out I went out for 6 hours and found two very old Gold rings which were worth more than I paid for the detector.

Fusion

Post by Fusion » Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:36 pm

The EBL brand Lithium PP3's seem to be good value, I've seen a few mentions of them on detecting forums. They are 600 mAh capacity, price is in the region of £5 each, no doubt cheaper if you buy 4 packs etc. I won't add a link, forum rules etc, but they're easy to find online.

chesters4

Post by chesters4 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:56 pm

It depends on what you regard as 9v as they can be 7.2v ,8.4v or 9.6v in rechargeables so if your device is a bit tetchy then only a 9.6v will do as the detector has been set up to use non rechargeable batteries and 8.4v could be seen as exhausted ?
The Lidl 9v are actually 8.4v (boy they didnt have a clue pre sale but i soon returned them when i tested them) most others are as well
The biggest clue is in capacity ,roughly the higher it is the lower the voltage about 200mA is probably 9.6v but then theres low capacity 8.4v ones so testing while charging is the only way
Compared to AA or AAA they seem short lived and none of mine have lasted as long as they say in charges so i have gone back to bog standard non rechargeables

Also you need a good charger that can handle 9.6v batteries if the charger is designed for the other two its not going to do a good job charging 9.6v ones ,that applies to any rechargeable batteries .
A timed charger meant for 1900mA AA batteries isnt going to fully charge a 2500mA one

Rivers rat

Post by Rivers rat » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:32 pm

ROCK HOPPER wrote:Yes the Waders run at 2.4 VLF.
I got both of them at a very good price as people seem not to know how good they are.
As they are very light I can swing it all day with no problems.
The one with the 10in coil I bought as a spare as it was local, the first time out I went out for 6 hours and found two very old Gold rings which were worth more than I paid for the detector.

Well done hope i will do the same !!!!

RR

Dave8472

Post by Dave8472 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:54 pm

I have been using Lloytron 250mAh PP3's for over a year in my Garrett Pro pointer and they have worked realy well. I just use an off the shelf standard Energizer multi charger for this and my other battery types

Dave &*(
Minelab Equinox 800 : 15", 11" Coils
XP Deus V3.2 - WS5 : 9" Coil
Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Garmin eTrex 20 GPS
Past Detectors : Explorer Se Pro, CTX3030

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:18 pm

chesters4 wrote:It depends on what you regard as 9v as they can be 7.2v ,8.4v or 9.6v in rechargeables so if your device is a bit tetchy then only a 9.6v will do as the detector has been set up to use non rechargeable batteries and 8.4v could be seen as exhausted ?
The Lidl 9v are actually 8.4v (boy they didnt have a clue pre sale but i soon returned them when i tested them) most others are as well
The biggest clue is in capacity ,roughly the higher it is the lower the voltage about 200mA is probably 9.6v but then theres low capacity 8.4v ones so testing while charging is the only way
Compared to AA or AAA they seem short lived and none of mine have lasted as long as they say in charges so i have gone back to bog standard non rechargeables

Also you need a good charger that can handle 9.6v batteries if the charger is designed for the other two its not going to do a good job charging 9.6v ones ,that applies to any rechargeable batteries .
A timed charger meant for 1900mA AA batteries isnt going to fully charge a 2500mA one
An interesting appraisal 'chesters4' ::g - Many thanks. Regards ss47
A disservice is no service at all.

Fusion

Post by Fusion » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:57 am

I think Chester is being far too dismissive of '8.4 Volt' PP3's. 8.4 Volt is the 'nominal' voltage for 7-cell NiMH's, ie. (7 x 1.2) Volts. Freshly-charged, they're close to 1.4 Volts, I've measured some of my 7-cell PP3's at 10 Volts. And on discharge, they take a long time to fall down to 7 Volts. Any decent piece of equipment that's designed for PP3 operation should work down to 7 volts.
So I'm happy to recommend 8.4 Volt NiMH's to anyone.

beachboy70

Post by beachboy70 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:50 am

Anybody tried those new 9 v Lithium rechargable rated 900 ma, i have tried many brands and they mostly only go on for 10-12 hrs on my Fisher CZ5 once the voltage is done to about 7.5 thats it, so would be interesting how long those 900 ma ones would last before recharge. i expect the USA sites might have more info on use as they are always ahead of us .HH all beachboy70

Fusion

Post by Fusion » Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:04 pm

"those 900 ma ones" ?
Are you going to tell us the brand, or any other details, like who is selling them? A link to a retailer would be good, just avoid eBay / Amazon, forum rules etc etc.

beachboy70

Re: Batteries

Post by beachboy70 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:04 am

Hi all. Sorry to Fusion regarding delay in a reply about 9 volt batt. i was just about to go away on my hols. so just catching up. The 9 v brands i have used over the last few years are the POWER RANGE ( rechargeable) a black batt with blue markings they come in many sizes but i have only used 350 ma, 600 ma, but the 600 are a bit bigger and a tight fit in some slots, have also used GP brand you can buy them from you know where. I need to replace some now also need spares so going to try the 650 ma Lithium rechargeable this time ( cost for 2 is about £14 with charger) they also come from the same site. The end of last year i purchased some 1.5 volt Lithium rechargeable more of a test than anything else ,I have had no problems with them and they really hold the charge good have only charged them twice in 6 months and still showing full so happy with that result. HH beachboy 70 ::g

beachboy70

Post by beachboy70 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:18 am

Just a update on my 1.5 volt Lithium rechargeable battery. i have tested them now for a few months and they do hold the charge for a long time and show full but i have found that when mine drop 1 bar the voltage drops right off quickly after that so a battery change is needed. So have some spares with you or charge after each outing ( only takes about 1.5 hrs to fully recharge via USB ) the brand i have are KENTLI , not that cheap but work very good. HH beachboy70 ::g

BlackBridgeBoy

Post by BlackBridgeBoy » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:50 pm

Fusion wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:57 am
I think Chester is being far too dismissive of '8.4 Volt' PP3's. 8.4 Volt is the 'nominal' voltage for 7-cell NiMH's, ie. (7 x 1.2) Volts. Freshly-charged, they're close to 1.4 Volts, I've measured some of my 7-cell PP3's at 10 Volts. And on discharge, they take a long time to fall down to 7 Volts. Any decent piece of equipment that's designed for PP3 operation should work down to 7 volts.
So I'm happy to recommend 8.4 Volt NiMH's to anyone.
Fusion is correct here.

I checked with a couple of Detector Manufacturers regarding using PP3 NiMh, and Li-ion, batteries, instead of standard Alkaline.

My question was - "would the machine operate correctly at 8.4V" (which most NiMH '9.0V' batteries can be when fully charged - although some can register 9.0V+).

Their answers were "Yes, perfectly well".

Most circuitry has a decent Voltage tolerance so, whilst Voltage is important, the Amperage is really the important thing. An 8.4V NiMH with a good amperage (@280mAh+) will last much longer than a standard 9.0V Alkaline which, due to drain, will fall well below 9.0V quite quickly.

The Equipment manufacturers, also confirmed this fact to me.

The great thing about rechargeables is that for about three times the cost of an Alkaline, you get something that can recharged @ 250-500 times (at about a Penny a recharge).

However, most rechargeable batteries AAA, AA & PP3, seem to be just a 'tad' bigger than their Alkaline counterparts.

Not a problem in a large 'sprung' Detector battery box, but the last time that I used a rechargeable Li-ion in my PinPointer, I had to get the bu**er out with a pair of pliers. That's not the best thing in the middle of a muddy field.

I use rechargeables, wherever I can and always found them to be far superior to standard disposable batteries.

BTW - Don't just go for the most expensive, they are often not the best, and discount any that claim that they are thousands of mAH. There is a physical Amperage limit on all battery types.

Regards.

Nick.
BBB.
Yorkshire Born & Bred

beachboy70

Post by beachboy70 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:36 am

Hi BlackBridgeBoy. I recently bought my myself some 9 volt Li on rechargeable pp3 they are 650 Ma they are a bit smaller than the Ni of the same size so a bonus on that side so they go in all my slots. I needed some new battery's so thought i would try these only had them about 4 weeks but seem ok even though the voltage is well below the 9 volts but plenty of power there thats the main thing for me. The make is Soshine cost is about £14 for 2 batt. with charger that will also charge Ni Mh so a bonus there, hope this helps. beachboy70 ::g

beachboy70

Post by beachboy70 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:34 am

Hi All .Just a update on my 9 volt Lithium battery's ( 8.4 v really ) just did a charge after using them from July they was not flat but thought a charge was in order, have been using them in my Pulse pin-pointer most rechargeable s have only lasted about 3-4 weeks but these just go on and on,very happy with these also a bit smaller than some batt. so go in all my slots so a good buy. HH all. Cheers beachboy70 ::g

sanjuro

Post by sanjuro » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:51 pm

I always use Powerex batteries they have never let me down Powerex offer

Powerex Precharged 8.4V 300mAh

Powerex Precharged 9.6V 230mAh

Return to “Metal Detector Batteries”