extend battery life for £1.60

Please post all topics related to metal detecting Batteries here please.
MDF Auction - Metal Detector Batteries
THE MOLE

extend battery life for £1.60

Post by THE MOLE » Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:40 am

not sure how good this will be for us but heres the link ;)

http://money.aol.co.uk/2015/06/04/boost ... d=webmail3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just using the Force Image

Historyman

Re: extend battery life for £1.60

Post by Historyman » Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:06 pm

It looks very interesting. I wonder if it really works.
Garrett ACE 250
An intelligent man speaks because he has something to say. A fool speaks because he has to say something.

Fusion

Post by Fusion » Fri Jun 05, 2015 5:44 pm

I guess it has a 'switch-mode' voltage regulator circuit built around the +ve pip of the battery. Pretty much like how those "1.5 Volt" rechargeable lithium cells work:
http://www.metaldetectingforum.co.uk/vi ... 02&t=74965
But I'm very skeptical about the claimed extra life figures. The truth is, when the voltage of a cell falls off (say, below 1.2V), there's maybe just 20% of the energy left in it, not hundreds of %.
:(

sinclairuser

Post by sinclairuser » Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:29 am

i looked into these and its mainly a marketing con, they do work but they claim that 1.3v is the drop off, which is crap otherwise 1.2v rechargeables wouln't work would they?.
so they will allow you to get more out of a battery, but nowhere near the claimed amount, another problem is battery level meters read incorrectly in devices using these, since they use voltage drop to display battery level.

one use they could have is in detectors that dont like rechargeables, they boost voltage to 1.5v so may help there, you would just need to charge more often.
hi all, finally back to full fitness, for those that dont know i had a bad bike crash last july and have been recovering
for those that did, thankyou for your kind words and encouragement.

Koala

Post by Koala » Sat Jun 06, 2015 1:55 pm

Any benefit will probably vary from application to application. My detector fails when the batteries are as low as 1.1V.

Went to their website http://www.batteriser.com/ and it gives no details or specifications but if it works like http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joule_thief it would ruin rechargeable batteries.

Fusion

Post by Fusion » Sat Jun 06, 2015 2:26 pm

Using a regulator device like this actually accelerates the drain on the battery, for at least two reasons.
Firstly: If an electric device consumed 50 mA at 1.5 Volts, but also consumed 50mA at 1.2 Volts, then you can see the drain is the same for a fresh cell and a part-flat one. Now fit one of these gadgets to your AA cell. When the cell is flat-ish at 1.2 V, this regulator is still producing 1.5V, so the appliance it's fitted in draws 50mA at 1.5 Volts. But to produce this power from the "cell-plus-regulator gadget" means the cell itself has to produce 63mA at 1.2 Volts ( 50 x 1.5/1.2 ). So the cell gets drained quicker as it gets flat, whereas without this gadget it wouldn't.

Second: all voltage regulators have some inefficiency associated with them. Even a very good one is 95% efficient. So for every Watt of power your appliance uses, 1.05 Watts gets drawn from the battery, if this gadget is used.

Regarding the first point: A lot of modern electronics equipment has switch-mode voltage regulators in them. Which means A) they don't mind flat batteries. B)You don't really benefit by fitting this gadget on all your cells.
:(

Return to “Metal Detector Batteries”