How to save money on AA batteries!

Please post all topics related to metal detecting Batteries here please.
MDF Auction - Metal Detector Batteries
JamieB

How to save money on AA batteries!

Post by JamieB » Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:35 pm

Very cool trick to get free (ish) batteries .. Not sure of the quality of the batteries but this HAS to be worth checking out ::g

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Youtube channel: https://youtu.be/WCVc_IFEOho" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
XP Deus + 13x11" coil
Garrett pro pointer
Hairy Coin Purse

mrix
Founder

Re: How to save money on AA batteries!

Post by mrix » Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:37 pm

Hello JamieB, I remember this topic running on the MDF once before and if I can remember correctly there was a negative to this idea but for the life of me cannot remember, if you look at some of the comments many say its fake the share amount of smaller batteries within the large battery that they are dismantling.
Cheers
mrix

former member

Post by former member » Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:38 pm

;)) ;)) ;))

JamieB

Post by JamieB » Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:44 pm

Haha .. Yup it's fake :D
Youtube channel: https://youtu.be/WCVc_IFEOho" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
XP Deus + 13x11" coil
Garrett pro pointer
Hairy Coin Purse

alloverover

Post by alloverover » Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:55 pm

You can get nearly as much life out of your AA again by nipping the body with a pair of pliers after its on its way out, it really works, a tip from soviet russia :)) :D ::g

GREGGOWREX

Post by GREGGOWREX » Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:00 pm

u;@ u;@ u;@ IS THIS SEXUAL ?
If I was to live to over 300 years old , would I end up in a museum ?
Euro tek pro 11inch coil
The early bird gets the worm , The second mouse GETS the cheese ;)

Historyman

Post by Historyman » Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:59 am

x;
alloverover wrote:You can get nearly as much life out of your AA again by nipping the body with a pair of pliers after its on its way out, it really works, a tip from soviet russia :)) :D ::g
I didn't know that. I did know that you can squeeze a bit more out of a battery by warming it up on a radiator.
Garrett ACE 250
An intelligent man speaks because he has something to say. A fool speaks because he has to say something.

sinclairuser

Post by sinclairuser » Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:11 am

please dont nip or squeeze any lithium batteries, they can catch fire.
hi all, finally back to full fitness, for those that dont know i had a bad bike crash last july and have been recovering
for those that did, thankyou for your kind words and encouragement.

phen58

Post by phen58 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:03 am

My oh my, imagine how many AAs are in a car battery? That's gotta be worth considering wouldn't you say? x; x;

Resurgam

Post by Resurgam » Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:31 am

You can buy a battery charger that will recharge standard batteries safely but on each subsequent charge you get a little less duration out of the recharged battery.

Presently works for me. ::g
Garrett ProPointer + MineLab Safari + Quest Q40, and loads of determination.

fisheruk

Post by fisheruk » Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:50 am

Free batteries inside old VCR's as well " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Fisher F4.
Makro Racer.
Makro Pointer
Garrett Pro Pointer.
Lesche Raptor.
Draper mini spade.

Ten pence!

Post by Ten pence! » Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:30 am

Sorry to be a bit of a party pooper here but batteries are quite cheap all things considered and proper rechargeable batteries even more so if you use your machine a lot.

Would anyone really risk an expensive detector by squashing a battery or heating one up on a radiator just to gain a few hours extra use?

lordofthecoils

Post by lordofthecoils » Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:33 pm

i agree with ten pence , i remember this thread , since then i discovered the dosen plus battereys for a pound ,from pound world , i use them for one sesh and bin them . on a long days detecting ive changed them twice .
my personal opinion is that after four hours batterys could be loseing the edge for you.....mabye it is in the mind but as soon as i change my 8 batterys in my adventis the finds start coming.
when you consider fisherman and shooters pay tens if not hundreds of pounds for a days sport......a quid for batterys :D :-/ cant go wrong .....happy hunting all.....ray :)) ::g ::g ::g ::g

Resurgam

Post by Resurgam » Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:46 pm

An interesting point; "detector performance drops off as battery strength falls"!

I wonder if others have also noticed this?

punka$$

Post by punka$$ » Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:26 pm

Resurgam wrote:An interesting point; "detector performance drops off as battery strength falls"!

I often wondered the same about rechargeable batteries, aa are 1.5v and the rechargeable aa are 1.2v
Could that mean a drop in performance?
all the gear, no idea!

lordofthecoils

Post by lordofthecoils » Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:32 pm

punka$$ wrote:
Resurgam wrote:An interesting point; "detector performance drops off as battery strength falls"!

I often wondered the same about rechargeable batteries, aa are 1.5v and the rechargeable aa are 1.2v
Could that mean a drop in performance?

1000% i get my best finds when the batterys are fresh .........ray :)) ::g ::g ::g ::g

sinclairuser

Post by sinclairuser » Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:33 pm

i agree with blackadder on this(as stated in another thread).
just buy a couple of packs of eneloops, they pay for themselves in no time, for 9v batteries, true 9v rechargables are available, buying cheap batteries and throwing them away is a false economy, and bad for the environment.
hi all, finally back to full fitness, for those that dont know i had a bad bike crash last july and have been recovering
for those that did, thankyou for your kind words and encouragement.

alloverover

Post by alloverover » Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:15 pm

Ten pence! wrote: Would anyone really risk an expensive detector by squashing a battery or heating one up on a radiator just to gain a few hours extra use?
Yes, it wouldnt damage your machine and will save ££££s x;
lordofthecoils wrote: my personal opinion is that after four hours batterys could be loseing the edge for you....::g
Could be Ray, a lot of people think Tesoro's perform better on small silver when the batteries have lost a bit of charge though mate x; x; ::g
sinclairuser wrote: buying cheap batteries and throwing them away is a false economy, and bad for the environment.
What batterys are good for the environment pales into insignificance when your detecting on green waste sinclairuser ;f ;f ;f

Ten pence!

Post by Ten pence! » Sun Apr 26, 2015 1:34 am

Personally I'd not risk a a tampered battery leaking - or worse inside my detector.

If saving money was the main concern then I'd console myself with the following, the amount of scrap lead I find out in the fields easily pays for the best alkaline and NIMH batteries available.

And it's a myth that detectors work better with fresh batteries, it's inconceivable that a relatively sophisticated piece of electronic equipment like a metal detector is not fitted with a voltage regulator to ensure stable performance. I've never been able to see any performance improvement with any detector I've ever owned by simply replacing used but serviceable batteries with fresh ones.

Resurgam

Post by Resurgam » Sun Apr 26, 2015 4:15 am

I think nipping the middle of a battery to squeeze more more life from it was a Russian windup; do they have April the first japes over there? I remember The Goons producing a record and it stated on it that the quality could be improved by lightly rubbing it with sandpaper! ;))

lordofthecoils

Post by lordofthecoils » Sun Apr 26, 2015 4:33 pm

And it's a myth that detectors work better with fresh batteries, it's inconceivable that a relatively sophisticated piece of electronic equipment like a metal detector is not fitted with a voltage regulator to ensure stable performance. I've never been able to see any performance improvement with any detector I've ever owned by simply replacing used but serviceable batteries with fresh ones.[/quote]

every one has thier own opinion on battery performance , i used to use the explorer with on board charging similar to many of the top flight metal detectors now and never noticed performance drop with them . i am pecifically talking about AA 's and each detector is probably different in battery related performance, lets not give our own opinions as sacresanct as unless youve used every type of detector for a long time your only giving your opinion ,

heres a quote from a long time detectorist and dealer

I get a lot of questions that are related to batteries. All Bounty Hunter metal detectors currently sold require two 9 volt ALKALINE batteries. That doesn't mean that any 9 volt battery will work, it clearly means that 9 volt ALKALINE batteries are required. The key word here is ALKALINE. Bad batteries will cause many strange and unexplainable things to happen. Your detector could let off one long continuous tone, beep wildly for no apparent reason, fail to detect a coin right in front of it, the volume level could drop noticeably ...and so on down the line. Many times this happens before the low battery indicator shows a low battery.

The low battery indicator is a nice feature, but unfortunately it is not that all-fired accurate. It does a good job of telling you that your batteries are low when you first turn it on after about ten seconds of use, but when they wear down in the field, I never trust it. If ANY of the above things happens to me, I change the batteries. When one of my detectors "locks up" and acts weird, I try the "on and off" trick and if that
doesn't clear it, I change the batteries. If the batteries are low, the power drain from turning it on and off five or six times will accentuate the problem even more.

alloverover

Post by alloverover » Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:37 pm

Resurgam wrote:I think nipping the middle of a battery to squeeze more more life from it was a Russian windup; do they have April the first japes over there? I remember The Goons producing a record and it stated on it that the quality could be improved by lightly rubbing it with sandpaper! ;))
Its no joke, ive done it many a time and got many months more usage on TV remotes and the like, its a worthwhile tip to remember and could well help if you cant get to a shop and dont have any spares.
You dont have to take it on board but it may be useful to somebody x; ::g

Resurgam

Post by Resurgam » Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:38 pm

::g

Return to “Metal Detector Batteries”