Rechargeable or not?

Please post all topics related to metal detecting Batteries here please.
MDF Auction - Metal Detector Batteries
davetee

Rechargeable or not?

Post by davetee » Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:15 am

I'm just wondering...is there any noticeable difference in performance or operation when using rechargeables, as Alkaline AA's are 1.5v and rechargeables are typically 1.2v?

Fusion

Re: Rechargeable or not?

Post by Fusion » Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:03 pm

You didn't say what machine.
I'll guess the F75, and the answer is No Difference, other than pointing out the rechargeables won't run for so long, eg. 30 hrs instead of 40.

hihosilver

Post by hihosilver » Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:06 pm

You can only realistically use rechargables in devices that take 4 or less batteries due to the voltage difference between the 2 different types like you say. If ok then go for it. Used to use them in my euroace they worked just fine. They didn't last as long but dead easy to recharge and so much cheaper. ::g Just be aware that due to the different types the battery meter on the detector won't show an accurate reading, and they drain differently than alkalines. Alkalines slowly die/fade, NiMH ones suddenly die/fade once they no longer can sustain the correct voltage.
Current setup:
XP Deus v2.0, MINELAB Equinox 800 v1.7.5, GARRETT Pro-Pointer
MD'ing since Sept '11

Looking for a friendly club in the Bristol and Somerset area? Contact us at:
www.wessexsearchers.club

Dave8472

Post by Dave8472 » Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:44 am

I used to use rechargeable's all the time in my Explorer when I had it, worked better than the supplied battery cell.

My CTX comes with a dry cell adaptor, I have tried it as a test only but not run it for the day as that original battery lasts forever lol

Dave &*(
Minelab Equinox 800 : 15", 11" Coils
XP Deus V3.2 - WS5 : 9" Coil
Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Garmin eTrex 20 GPS

kopparberg

Post by kopparberg » Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:58 am

i run rechargeables in my etrac and have no problems with them and they certainly work out cheaper than keep buying non rechargeables. the etrac takes 8 batteries and being 1.2 makes no difference to performance apart from lasting say 25 hrs instead off 35. just buy good quality ones i use sanyo eneloop batteries
CTX 3030
DEUS
MAKRO pro pointer
always live for today and worry about tomorrow when it comes

lord lovell

Post by lord lovell » Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:50 am

if there good quality rech batteries i cant see why not may even be cost effective in the long run ::g

KIPPERMAN32

Post by KIPPERMAN32 » Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:56 am

sanyo eneloops for me too in the f75/sorex...Never had a problem.

Ste

johnboy25

Post by johnboy25 » Sat Nov 08, 2014 6:33 pm

I have had no problem ,and recharge them befor a dig.

MarkSussex

Post by MarkSussex » Sat Nov 08, 2014 6:42 pm

I used to use sanyo eneloops in my X terra 705 performance was brilliant.
Check out my youtube channel

XP Deus Detecting

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNS-zm ... Pow/videos" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

JunkFinder

Post by JunkFinder » Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:23 pm

I use rechargeables in my 6mxi but I am convinced I get less depth!!!

I would charge them up and use them for a couple of sessions and it seemed to me that I would gradually get reduced depth. I thought it was just mind games at first but I decided for all future sessions I would charge them up fully just before I go out . As if to prove my point I started finding stuff deeper again. Nimh's slowly loose power while not being used so I think that might be a factor.

These arn't cheap batteries either, Ive used high capacity energisers, duracells and GP Recyko+
Minelab Equinox 600
XP Deus Lite 11" Coil
Garret Pro Pointer
4 milled silver, 1 Roman Denarius, 3 Roman Bronze, 2 Roman Brooches

davetee

Post by davetee » Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:41 am

Thanks all...now using Duracell Rechargeables...don't lose charge when stored

Whatunearth

Post by Whatunearth » Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:09 am

JunkFinder wrote:I use rechargeables in my 6mxi but I am convinced I get less depth!!!

I would charge them up and use them for a couple of sessions and it seemed to me that I would gradually get reduced depth. I thought it was just mind games at first but I decided for all future sessions I would charge them up fully just before I go out . As if to prove my point I started finding stuff deeper again. Nimh's slowly loose power while not being used so I think that might be a factor.

These arn't cheap batteries either, Ive used high capacity energisers, duracells and GP Recyko+
With the Cscope 6MXI I cant see the point in using rechargeable batteries, I use normal AA one's that I get from the pound shop (Kodak Xtralife) they last a good 50 hours.

Here is a link to some battery tests that helped me decide. http://www.batteryshowdown.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks
Greg
He who dares wins!
E-trac
GMP
Minelab Safari with 12" Sunray coil.
Cscope 6mx
Garrett Pro-pointer

mrix
Founder

Post by mrix » Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:14 am

My only problem with Rechargeable batteries is that they are like socks in our house, I have purchased well over 60+ batteries, mixture of different brands and for some reason I can only find 4 :-/ :(
I do have 3 kids in the household which is likely something to do with it ~x(
Cheers
mrix

ROCK HOPPER

Post by ROCK HOPPER » Sun Nov 16, 2014 12:23 pm

I use rechargable because my battery pack on my SE fried, new battery pack about £75, 16 rechargable 2500mAh AA's from Aldi( when on offer) about£12. I also use the Aldi battery charger which will tell you if any have gone faulty, they are about £15,keep the receipt as they are guaranteed for 3 years.
Do not use a faulty battery even in a pack of eight as they will only last about a half hour.
I don't go out for very long but I change the batteries in the pack about every 4 hours then put them all on charge when I return home.
They seem to last very well and at that price you will save a fortune on batteries.

Boandtia

Post by Boandtia » Sun Nov 16, 2014 12:25 pm

hihosilver wrote:You can only realistically use rechargables in devices that take 4 or less batteries due to the voltage difference between the 2 different types like you say. If ok then go for it. Used to use them in my euroace they worked just fine. They didn't last as long but dead easy to recharge and so much cheaper. ::g Just be aware that due to the different types the battery meter on the detector won't show an accurate reading, and they drain differently than alkalines. Alkalines slowly die/fade, NiMH ones suddenly die/fade once they no longer can sustain the correct voltage.
Sorry to disagree, I use rechargeable batteries in my Garrett Sea Hunter Mk2 it takes 8, and never had any problems, I just keep them charged up after every couple of outings.
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Excalibur 11
Garrett AT Pro International
Garrett Sea Hunter MK 2
Garrett Propointer.
Makro Waterproof Pointer.
Flask of coffee / brandy
Plenty of fags
A lot of patience

Fusion

Post by Fusion » Sun Nov 16, 2014 2:44 pm

I agree, non-rechargeables will be down at 0.9V, 1.0V when they are considered flat, so any well-designed detector will be engineered to work with this level of voltage per cell, regardless of whether it runs off 4 or 8 cells. Hence rechargeables, which would also be considered flat at 0.9V should work fine, too. It's true that adding an extra cell is a good idea on larger rechargeable packs, eg. PP3 NiMH's will have 7 cells inside, versus the 6 of an alkaline.

For the F75 in question, there's only 4 cells, anyway. Regular NiMH's or even NiCads work just fine. It's a good idea to have a set of alkaline's with you as a backup, just in case.

Return to “Metal Detector Batteries”