Loose coil attachment lug on CTX shaft

Only for the discussion of the Minelab CTX 3030 metal detector within this forum.
Post Reply
User avatar
GeorgeMK
Posts: 202
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:27 pm
Location: Milton Keynes
Has thanked: 392 times
Been thanked: 159 times

Loose coil attachment lug on CTX shaft

Post by GeorgeMK » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:46 pm

The coil attachment lug at the end of my CTX3030 lower shaft has become loose, what would be a recommended adhesive that will stick to both the lug material and the carbon fibre of the shaft?



User avatar
Bors
Posts: 1038
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:24 pm
Has thanked: 131 times
Been thanked: 646 times

Re: Loose coil attachment lug on CTX shaft

Post by Bors » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:48 pm

I`d use " Araldite " epoxy resin . ::g

User avatar
fred
Posts: 10498
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:15 pm
Location: Kent
Has thanked: 2437 times
Been thanked: 6214 times

Re: Loose coil attachment lug on CTX shaft

Post by fred » Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:22 am

Bors wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:48 pm
I`d use " Araldite " epoxy resin . ::g
Araldite would be my first choice too although there might be purpose designed adhesives for the job. Remember to clean the surfaces off thoroughly and give it at least 24 hours before you put any pressure on it ::g .
Equinox 800 x2

Dangerous Norman
Posts: 263
Joined: Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:35 am
Has thanked: 45 times
Been thanked: 137 times

Re: Loose coil attachment lug on CTX shaft

Post by Dangerous Norman » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:46 pm

I would use Q-bond. A power that will bond to plastic and can be built up & filed to provide a stronger mounting. Used to repair car bumpers, motorbike fairings etc. and comes with a grey power for use on metal.

It bonds with the application of the liquid glue and is fully set in under a minute.

User avatar
Buriedbytime&dust
Posts: 712
Joined: Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:03 pm
Location: Suffolk
Has thanked: 260 times
Been thanked: 359 times

Re: Loose coil attachment lug on CTX shaft

Post by Buriedbytime&dust » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:50 pm

Dangerous Norman wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:46 pm
I would use Q-bond. A power that will bond to plastic and can be built up & filed to provide a stronger mounting. Used to repair car bumpers, motorbike fairings etc. and comes with a grey power for use on metal.

It bonds with the application of the liquid glue and is fully set in under a minute.

I've never tried it, but have heard good things about that stuff.

Any 5 minute epoxy will be plenty strong enough though.

Dangerous Norman
Posts: 263
Joined: Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:35 am
Has thanked: 45 times
Been thanked: 137 times

Re: Loose coil attachment lug on CTX shaft

Post by Dangerous Norman » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:14 pm

Buriedbytime&dust wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:50 pm
Dangerous Norman wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:46 pm
I would use Q-bond. A power that will bond to plastic and can be built up & filed to provide a stronger mounting. Used to repair car bumpers, motorbike fairings etc. and comes with a grey power for use on metal.

It bonds with the application of the liquid glue and is fully set in under a minute.

I've never tried it, but have heard good things about that stuff.

Any 5 minute epoxy will be plenty strong enough though.
Epoxy sticks one part to the other. Q-bond bonds on to both parts, can be built up to provide extra thickness, support & strength, can be drilled, filed and even recreate missing pieces or fill holes. Only takes a few seconds to fully set rock hard and the join is often stronger than the original piece. Can be painted if required and fully waterproof (afaik).

I used to swear by Araldite but never used it since I found out about Q-bond.

User avatar
Bors
Posts: 1038
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:24 pm
Has thanked: 131 times
Been thanked: 646 times

Re: Loose coil attachment lug on CTX shaft

Post by Bors » Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:12 pm

Well I just checked Q bond out and for various filling jobs it looks very good. Not so sure on how it would fare on sticking two circular surfaces together where one goes into another such as Coil bottom joint into a Carbon Fibre shaft. as there are crystals/powder involved which will need saturating in the liquid so how you`d go on about putting the crystals inside a shaft to be bonded is going to be tricky. If it was just in a sticky Liquid form I`d be more enthusiastic towards it, but I can see its potential on certain things but not on others .

check out the application needed ......

Dangerous Norman
Posts: 263
Joined: Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:35 am
Has thanked: 45 times
Been thanked: 137 times

Re: Loose coil attachment lug on CTX shaft

Post by Dangerous Norman » Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:17 pm

If possible then file small V along the break, hold pieces together and sprinkle a covering of powder on break, drop a bit liquid on the power = it doesn't need much and runs straight in to the powder - a small amount of gas/smoke may be released, if necessary turn item and repeat until you have covered whole of the break {if round or curved) to the depth you want, file smooth as required.

Not sure how you would do it inside a tube, I though these lugs were fixed to the flat part of the coil!

Dangerous Norman
Posts: 263
Joined: Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:35 am
Has thanked: 45 times
Been thanked: 137 times

Re: Loose coil attachment lug on CTX shaft

Post by Dangerous Norman » Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:28 pm

PS. You can't mix prior to using as the second the liquid starts to run into the powder the reaction starts and the bond occurs.

User avatar
GeorgeMK
Posts: 202
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:27 pm
Location: Milton Keynes
Has thanked: 392 times
Been thanked: 159 times

Re: Loose coil attachment lug on CTX shaft

Post by GeorgeMK » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:39 pm

Dangerous Norman wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:17 pm
If possible then file small V along the break, hold pieces together and sprinkle a covering of powder on break, drop a bit liquid on the power = it doesn't need much and runs straight in to the powder - a small amount of gas/smoke may be released, if necessary turn item and repeat until you have covered whole of the break {if round or curved) to the depth you want, file smooth as required.

Not sure how you would do it inside a tube, I though these lugs were fixed to the flat part of the coil!

There is no break, it is the coil attachment lug on the end of the lower shaft that has become loose. It is a snug fit onto the shaft, so I don’t see how I could use Q-Bond. I will get some Araldite as suggested by Bors and fred, and hopefully that will adhere to both the lug material and the carbon fibre.

GeorgeMK wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:46 pm
The coil attachment lug at the end of my CTX3030 lower shaft has become loose, what would be a recommended adhesive that will stick to both the lug material and the carbon fibre of the shaft?

User avatar
Bors
Posts: 1038
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:24 pm
Has thanked: 131 times
Been thanked: 646 times

Re: Loose coil attachment lug on CTX shaft

Post by Bors » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:10 pm

To be honest with you George you cannot go wrong with Araldite , it`s a tried and tested favourite for years and if nothing else it will do the job you need doing on the shaft . I would roughen both surfaces up first with some sandpaper before applying the Epoxy Resin . ::g

User avatar
GeorgeMK
Posts: 202
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:27 pm
Location: Milton Keynes
Has thanked: 392 times
Been thanked: 159 times

Re: Loose coil attachment lug on CTX shaft

Post by GeorgeMK » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:29 pm

Bors wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:10 pm
To be honest with you George you cannot go wrong with Araldite , it`s a tried and tested favourite for years and if nothing else it will do the job you need doing on the shaft . I would roughen both surfaces up first with some sandpaper before applying the Epoxy Resin . ::g
Thank you Bors

User avatar
GeorgeMK
Posts: 202
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:27 pm
Location: Milton Keynes
Has thanked: 392 times
Been thanked: 159 times

Re: Loose coil attachment lug on CTX shaft

Post by GeorgeMK » Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:58 pm

I repaired the loose lug today using Araldite.

After taking the coil off, the coil attachment lug simply fell off the lower shaft, it was being held in place solely by the tension of the coil cable.

The coil attachment lug and shaft were washed, dried, then wiped over with acetone to ensure they were both spotlessly clean.

It was apparent that the original factory adhesive had only been applied to one side of the shaft, but I applied the Araldite around the full circumference of the shaft before reassembling the two parts together. Excess Araldite was wiped off with a clean cloth.

The shaft has a small alignment lump at the opposite end, so I made sure that the shaft was in the correct position when reassembling the shaft and coil attachment lug together.

Photos show the parts before cleaning, and after reassembling with Araldite.

26E81D41-B79D-401B-8A60-774826068D8F.jpeg
E02B7CFC-8674-44A7-9F30-8875A6062CB6.jpeg
9733F62D-BA83-492C-B177-9D62C112A691.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
Bors
Posts: 1038
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:24 pm
Has thanked: 131 times
Been thanked: 646 times

Re: Loose coil attachment lug on CTX shaft

Post by Bors » Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:46 pm

Good job ! ::g probably more secure now than when new.

Dangerous Norman
Posts: 263
Joined: Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:35 am
Has thanked: 45 times
Been thanked: 137 times

Re: Loose coil attachment lug on CTX shaft

Post by Dangerous Norman » Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:02 pm

I see what you mean now, the images make it clear. Araldite is probably the best thing to use.

Thanks for the update.

Post Reply

Return to “Minelab CTX 3030 Forum”