How Are You Actually Meant to Use These Tadpole Programs?

Only for the discussion of the Minelab CTX 3030 metal detector within this forum.
detectorman5050

How Are You Actually Meant to Use These Tadpole Programs?

Post by detectorman5050 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:16 am

I've just set up the various screens for Gordon Heritage 'Tadpole Program,' consisting of 4 screens:

1) Tadpole 1.
2) Tadpole 2 .
3) Totally open screen.
4) Discrimination line at bottom of screen only.

Instructions can be seen here:

https://www.minelab.com/usa/treasure-ta ... ram-part-1
https://www.minelab.com/usa/treasure-ta ... ram-part-2

I've read the instructions, but I am afraid I have no idea how these 4 different screens are meant to be used in conjunction with one another?

Could someone help please.

Minelab Equinox 800. CTX 3030. Visua Pinpointer.

fred

Re: How Are You Actually Meant to Use These Tadpole Programs?

Post by fred » Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:10 am

They are supposed to be used together in pairs on the toggle button to identify signals. I found them more complex that necessary and not that deep, so not much use to me. On land and beach I simply used the standard Relic programme with the settings ramped up as high as possible and dug everything that wasn't iron. :D
Equinox 800 x2

slowsweep

Post by slowsweep » Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:34 am

fred wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:10 am
. I found them more complex that necessary and not that deep,
are you having a laugh fred ? any of IHG tadpole progs are deep seeking and coupled with his ghost progs on the user button for deep iron you wont miss much, as for "Complex" just dont dig the deep iron grunts once you have checked the target with ghost, simple really.

the ctx is not a complicated machine to set up once you master the menu, learning what it is telling you is a completely different ball game altogether.

GL&HH
lots of MD related stuff ;))

detectorman5050

Post by detectorman5050 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:50 am

slowsweep wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:34 am
fred wrote:
are you having a laugh fred ? any of IHG tadpole progs are deep seeking and coupled with his ghost progs on the user button for deep iron you wont miss much, as for "Complex" just dont dig the deep iron grunts once you have checked the target with ghost, simple really.

the ctx is not a complicated machine to set up once you master the menu, learning what it is telling you is a completely different ball game altogether.

GL&HH
@Fred, I do pretty much the same as you with regards to settings at present. Some of my best finds have been relatively deep and alternating between an iron tone, and high conductor tone (due to their depth.) I wonder if I would still have picked them up with discrimination on?

@SlowSweep, you appear to be a fan of the Tadpole programs. How do personally use the '4 screens' in conjunction with each other? Thanks.

Allectus

Post by Allectus » Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:54 am

detectorman5050 wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:50 am
slowsweep wrote:
fred wrote:

GL&HH
@Fred, I do pretty much the same as you with regards to settings at present. Some of my best finds have been relatively deep and alternating between an iron tone, and high conductor tone (due to their depth.) I wonder if I would still have picked them up with discrimination on?

@SlowSweep, you appear to be a fan of the Tadpole programs. How do personally use the '4 screens' in conjunction with each other? Thanks.
You don't. Just pic one that works for you & use that. ::g
British by Birth - English by the Grace Of God.

slowsweep

Post by slowsweep » Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:01 am

Allectus wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:54 am
detectorman5050 wrote:

You don't. Just pic one that works for you & use that. ::g
::g
lots of MD related stuff ;))

fred

Post by fred » Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:06 pm

detectorman5050 wrote:
slowsweep wrote:
fred wrote:

GL&HH

If you have an ear for the deep signals with a mix of iron and positive tones then it may be worth trying to gradually raise the volume gain. I found that each step brings more of the previously dodgy signals into the good signal range. ::g
Equinox 800 x2

detectorman5050

Post by detectorman5050 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:29 pm

fred wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:06 pm

If you have an ear for the deep signals with a mix of iron and positive tones then it may be worth trying to gradually raise the volume gain. I found that each step brings more of the previously dodgy signals into the good signal range. ::g
@Fred, yes normally have the volume at full, sensitivity 29 or thereabouts, totally open screen, low trash separation, deep on, fast off, seawater on (even on fields, as it cuts down chatter.)

One thing I really like about the CTX is how stable it is - even at almost max sensitivity, with the jumbo coil on.

detectorman5050

Post by detectorman5050 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:30 pm

I have found details in Andy Sabisch's book on page 143 on how to use the 4 screens described in my original post:

'Some CTX 3030 hunters opt to search with one of Gordon’s minimal patterns active and then toggle over to the Tadpole pattern to check if the target is iron, such as when the audio signal disappears. Other hunters prefer to search with the Tadpole pattern (or another pattern) and toggle over to the one was much less discrimination to check out marginal signals that might only be hitting in one direction.'

The minimal patterns referred to here are screens 3 and 4 in my original post. The only differences between Tadpole 1 and 2, is one offers slightly more aggressive discrimination to filter out iron.

Dav

Post by Dav » Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:36 pm

I just use one program I think it may be a aria too of. tadpole ht8nk I seen it on th eminelab page on an. Article by Gordon , I called it tadpole less aggressive anyway . It’s wide open . I have good success with it but just lately I seem to have lost abit of confidence with it on aerated soil . I just don’t seem to have much luck on that type of ground stubble and pasture fine .
Any tips for aerated ground ?
Is there somewere were I an check all these other programs out ?

Return to “Minelab CTX 3030 Forum”