Auto Sensitivity

Only for the discussion of the Minelab CTX 3030 metal detector within this forum.
Buriedbytime&dust

Auto Sensitivity

Post by Buriedbytime&dust » Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:43 pm

Messing about on the testbed I found an interesting anomaly.

The target in question is a George II farthing at 8" depth. Nothing remarkable there, but with Auto +3 (registering 19) the response is positive, but with that thunking thing that the CTX does at the limit of detection.

On my testbed, the highest I can go on manual sensitivity is about 24, but setting it at 19 the signal on that coin is solid, as it should be. I then dropped it down until I got the thunking response that I got with Auto+3 at 19, but that didn't happen until I got down to 13!

I hardly ever use Auto sensitivity anyway, but if that's indicative across the scale, it's a frightening loss of depth, bearing in mind that manual 24 is stable and Auto+3 at 19 is only performing at the level of manual 13.

fred

Re: Auto Sensitivity

Post by fred » Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:27 pm

No surprise at all. You will almost always find that auto anything on a metal detector is a serious compromise. :D Maximum depth and sensitivity usually comes from running machines as hot as you can get away with. Usability is a completely different issue. ::g There are plenty of discussions on our forums about getting the most out of the CTX.
Equinox 800 x2

Buriedbytime&dust

Post by Buriedbytime&dust » Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:51 pm

fred wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:27 pm
No surprise at all. You will almost always find that auto anything on a metal detector is a serious compromise. :D Maximum depth and sensitivity usually comes from running machines as hot as you can get away with. Usability is a completely different issue. ::g There are plenty of discussions on our forums about getting the most out of the CTX.
It's a complicated animal for sure, Fred!

You'd think that 19 Auto and 19 Manual would be the same, but it certainly isn't.

Santa will, I'm assured, be bringing a 15" coil for the Nox, so I'll be concentrating on that for a while, over old ground, and hopefully new ::g

fred

Post by fred » Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:07 pm

I can guarantee that you are in for a surprise. Two phrases that you will repeat are 'I never expected to find that' and 'how the hell did I miss that'. Best of luck. ::g
Equinox 800 x2

Buriedbytime&dust

Post by Buriedbytime&dust » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:41 am

fred wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:07 pm
I can guarantee that you are in for a surprise. Two phrases that you will repeat are 'I never expected to find that' and 'how the hell did I miss that'. Best of luck. ::g
Cheers Fred ::g

The 11" is impressively deep anyway, but if the 15" adds a fraction more depth along with the increased ground coverage I'll be very happy. I have some well pounded ground to try it out on, and if it pulls anything from there I'll know I'm really onto a winner. Roll on Boxing Day!

Return to “Minelab CTX 3030 Forum”