Do You Actually Use Target Trace?

Only for the discussion of the Minelab CTX 3030 metal detector within this forum.
detectorman5050

Do You Actually Use Target Trace?

Post by detectorman5050 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:46 pm

I've had the CTX for a few months now, and am very happy with it (great for the beach in particular.)

However, I've not really made much use of the 'target trace' feature. I tried it out a couple of times, but increasingly just rely on the tones on the machine makes, and the target location on the screen.

So my question is do you actually use 'Target Trace'? Do you find it invaluable in identifying targets? Lastly, I'm presuming that is only effective to a certain depth?

Thanks.

Minelab Equinox 800. CTX 3030. Visua Pinpointer.

fred

Re: Do You Actually Use Target Trace?

Post by fred » Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:00 pm

detectorman5050 wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:46 pm
I've had the CTX for a few months now, and am very happy with it (great for the beach in particular.)

However, I've not really made much use of the 'target trace' feature. I tried it out a couple of times, but increasingly just rely on the tones on the machine makes, and the target location on the screen.

So my question is do you actually use 'Target Trace'? Do you find it invaluable in identifying targets? Lastly, I'm presuming that is only effective to a certain depth?

Thanks.
Target trace can be very useful if you are trying to decide whether to dig a particular signal in some circumstances, mostly shallowish iron. I found that both the screen ID and the target ID were great up until the point that they were no longer accurate, which is a foot or so depending upon how big the target is. I certainly found that many of the faint repeatable signals were keepers at pretty impressive depths so beyond that you have to be able to identify the deep signals and then make a call about whether they are just iron. However, many people seem to have gravitated towards digging almost everything that gives a reasonable signal that isn't obviously junk. ::g
Equinox 800 x2

Swinger

Re: Do You Actually Use Target Trace?

Post by Swinger » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:18 pm

Hi yes I use target trace all the time it shows scattered small iron fragments across the screen

Return to “Minelab CTX 3030 Forum”