CTX3030 Vs Terra X30 air test thought's

Only for the discussion of the Minelab CTX 3030 metal detector within this forum.
Lucky2018

CTX3030 Vs Terra X30 air test thought's

Post by Lucky2018 » Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:33 pm

So had my ctx for over 3 weeks now and noticed last few days tones and numbers all over the place. So i just wanted to do a rough check against my old X30 terra.
Here are the basic results as we know not much to change with the X30 straight forward does what is says on the tin.

X30 tone -------------- CTX 3030 tone/numbers

-------------- item

36 ---- old copper spoon----------- 12:43/45
-4 ------ iron nail ----------- 12:45/48
32 ----- £1 coin ------------------ 12:39
16/20 ------- old lead piece 2" long------ 22: 27/33 ( bounces all over )
36/40 --- George 1st 1732 --------- 12:42/46
28 ----- roman coin 153AD --------- 12:34/38
12/16 ------- hammered coin --------- 12:20
8/12 ------ new 1p ----------- no record or tone at all ???

settings on ctx are basic Coin settings with:
response NORMAL
DEEP YES
SEA WATER YES
GROUND COIN
COMBINED

Now i know its an air test all tested approx 6 inches for both on clean wooden block

It seems so easy with the x30 no problems and actually the George 1st and the old roman coin where found first on the x30.

I just wanted to get a good idea knowing whats worth the dig or not?

And before anyone says dig all in this dry weather and very very hard ground on heavy clay not always practical.

Just wanted anyone's thoughts on the figures do they seem normal for the ctx

Im used to the low iron tones and its mainly as im looking for coins only in the part of pasture field im in at the moment.

Also did a complete rest before testing

Before anyone says yes i have ordered the Minelab The CTX3030 Handbook by Andy Sabisch

thanks
Craig
Last edited by Lucky2018 on Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Minelab terra x30 ( old faithful )
Minelab CTX3030 :;@

Finds:
1st Hammered (Henry VI annulet-issue )
Roman dupondius of Antoninus Pius (AD 138-161)
George 1 Half Penny (1723)

Gold plated rusty nails pull rings and BOATS im Rich 8-} :;@

fred

Re: CTX3030 Vs Terrax30 air test

Post by fred » Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:18 pm

Like most Minelabs the CTX depends heavily on getting the swing speed right to stabilise the machine and control falsing. Get it wrong and the numbers will bounce all over the place and it will yodel like an Austrian goatherd on acid! :D

Your pound coin number is what I used to get but I would warn against relying on the numbers. Using the screen is better and using just the sounds and your experience is best of all. Even though the number ID is spot on for some targets the good stuff can appear almost anywhere, for example small Roman bronze coins can almost sound like iron. If you really have to use the target numbers for all but basic beach coinshooting you really need to do it the other way around i.e. learn to recognise the numbers of targets that you are prepared to ignore and dig the rest.

Probably safest to wait a few weeks until the ground gets softer and dig everything until you know what the sounds mean.

'New' iron cored 1p,2p,5p and 10p coins all give an iron response on the CTX but it is a specific bouncy signal which you can learn to dig if you really want them. I usually leave them but I will dig them sometimes if there are few good signal about just so that I am digging something. :D

Best of luck
Equinox 800 x2

Lucky2018

Re: CTX3030 Vs Terrax30 air test

Post by Lucky2018 » Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:00 pm

fred wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:18 pm
Like most Minelabs the CTX depends heavily on getting the swing speed right to stabilise the machine and control falsing. Get it wrong and the numbers will bounce all over the place and it will yodel like an Austrian goatherd on acid! :D

Your pound coin number is what I used to get but I would warn against relying on the numbers. Using the screen is better and using just the sounds and your experience is best of all. Even though the number ID is spot on for some targets the good stuff can appear almost anywhere, for example small Roman bronze coins can almost sound like iron. If you really have to use the target numbers for all but basic beach coinshooting you really need to do it the other way around i.e. learn to recognise the numbers of targets that you are prepared to ignore and dig the rest.

Probably safest to wait a few weeks until the ground gets softer and dig everything until you know what the sounds mean.

'New' iron cored 1p,2p,5p and 10p coins all give an iron response on the CTX but it is a specific bouncy signal which you can learn to dig if you really want them. I usually leave them but I will dig them sometimes if there are few good signal about just so that I am digging something. :D

Best of luck
Thanks Fred once again wise words and you have helped me on so many so far.

I just wanted to make sure my CTx wasnt breaking down or playing up .
dont want a repair bill as only just bought.

It was very interesting to see the old x30 do a great job though

But i will be patient and wait to see how things go cheers ::g
Minelab terra x30 ( old faithful )
Minelab CTX3030 :;@

Finds:
1st Hammered (Henry VI annulet-issue )
Roman dupondius of Antoninus Pius (AD 138-161)
George 1 Half Penny (1723)

Gold plated rusty nails pull rings and BOATS im Rich 8-} :;@

Junior

Re: CTX3030 Vs Terra X30 air test thought's

Post by Junior » Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:32 pm

I think the fbs don't do well in air tests Fred would prob know more about it than me , I tend if it's around 28/m:?? 28:?? don't dig but everything else dig I've had 9:?? s turn into 12 :??s , I do dig a bit of iron with it for what ever reason, and I do get iron come in a 12: ?? I run a 2015 variant of tadpoles or if quiet just 2 bottom lines of disc and ferrous coin , and single tone rightly or wrongly ....go really slow with it and investigate little beeps as they often turn out good ....good luck I preferre it to my other detector though ::g

fred

Re: CTX3030 Vs Terra X30 air test thought's

Post by fred » Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:50 am

Junior wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:32 pm
I think the fbs don't do well in air tests Fred would prob know more about it than me , I tend if it's around 28/m:?? 28:?? don't dig but everything else dig I've had 9:?? s turn into 12 :??s , I do dig a bit of iron with it for what ever reason, and I do get iron come in a 12: ?? I run a 2015 variant of tadpoles or if quiet just 2 bottom lines of disc and ferrous coin , and single tone rightly or wrongly ....go really slow with it and investigate little beeps as they often turn out good ....good luck I preferre it to my other detector though ::g
Great advice. The FBS machines do tend to go deeper on wet sand than the air tests would suggest. ::g
Equinox 800 x2

Return to “Minelab CTX 3030 Forum”