Anyone have strange id Dancing onscreen

Only for the discussion of the Minelab CTX 3030 metal detector within this forum.
Lucky2018

Anyone have strange id Dancing onscreen

Post by Lucky2018 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:51 pm

Hi all
Only had my new ctx for about 3 weeks but been out loads.
I have about 8 programs and uptil today all seemed great working and testing good.

Main fields ( DRY actually rock solid some ) are pasture land.

My question is after a little rain we had in Oxfordshire yesterday 6th sept. I noticed that my ctx started playing up??

a bit like id bouncing all over the place. any one else had that??

Also noticed that it now takes about 4 to 5 secs for the ID screen to pop up, even on an air test on a good id coin about 6 inches above.

I have mainly seen this on the coin mode but also tried blank mode to see and that seems better.

Just wanted to see if any others have had this problem. as its getting frustrating so i did a reset and no seems fine on quick air testing.

Minelab terra x30 ( old faithful )
Minelab CTX3030 :;@

Finds:
1st Hammered (Henry VI annulet-issue )
Roman dupondius of Antoninus Pius (AD 138-161)
George 1 Half Penny (1723)

Gold plated rusty nails pull rings and BOATS im Rich 8-} :;@

fred

Re: Anyone have strange id Dancing onscreen

Post by fred » Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:38 pm

Lucky2018 wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:51 pm
Hi all
I have about 8 programs and uptil today all seemed great working and testing good.

My question is after a little rain we had in Oxfordshire yesterday 6th sept. I noticed that my ctx started playing up??

Also noticed that it now takes about 4 to 5 secs for the ID screen to pop up, even on an air test on a good id coin about 6 inches above.

I have mainly seen this on the coin mode but also tried blank mode to see and that seems better.

Just wanted to see if any others have had this problem. as its getting frustrating so i did a reset and no seems fine on quick air testing.
I occasionally had problems with the CTX but it always turned out to be 'operator error' sometimes because of pressing something by accident. :D

The CTX is well built and the only thing that went wrong for me were coils. They sometimes cracked under the coil cover and the problem only became evident when they got wet. Worth a check. ::g
Equinox 800 x2

Junior

Post by Junior » Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:12 pm

What coin program are u using as from memory the stock one doesn't like the new steel based coinage if u are at the beach and what coin are u using to test it again if it's say a new 2p 5p that might b the issue ...what sens are u running ? I use tadpoles program or if really quiet just 2 bottom lines of disc with ferrous coin sens 24/26/28 ...rec deep on...rec fast off...sea water on...on inland as well....stuff all over the screen could b a load of iron and slow display could just be slow rec speed as per usual as fbs arnt the quickest to sort them selves out...are the leads tight going into the battery/ controler bit at the end ? .try the ....Andy sabisch 3030 book or mlotv on u tub ... good luck ::g

Lucky2018

Post by Lucky2018 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:49 pm

fred wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:38 pm
Lucky2018 wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:51 pm
Hi all

I occasionally had problems with the CTX but it always turned out to be 'operator error' sometimes because of pressing something by accident. :D

The CTX is well built and the only thing that went wrong for me were coils. They sometimes cracked under the coil cover and the problem only became evident when they got wet. Worth a check. ::g
Thanks Fred i will get the specs i was using tomoz i was just a little worries incase somthing maybe going wrong. im sure its just me but thanks

Finds:

Lucky2018

Post by Lucky2018 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:52 pm

Junior wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:12 pm
What coin program are u using as from memory the stock one doesn't like the new steel based coinage if u are at the beach and what coin are u using to test it again if it's say a new 2p 5p that might b the issue ...what sens are u running ? I use tadpoles program or if really quiet just 2 bottom lines of disc with ferrous coin sens 24/26/28 ...rec deep on...rec fast off...sea water on...on inland as well....stuff all over the screen could b a load of iron and slow display could just be slow rec speed as per usual as fbs arnt the quickest to sort them selves out...are the leads tight going into the battery/ controler bit at the end ? .try the ....Andy sabisch 3030 book or mlotv on u tub ... good luck ::g
thanks will check specs tomoz but seemed very odd it just started today going nuts. i thought it was the weather soooooo dry and im on mainly pasture old which i have picked up loads in last few weeks. i did wipe the coil and double checked cables all seems ok i just did a reset see if any better tomorrow but thanks oh and tried with iron nails and relic coins already found

Finds:

Lucky2018

Post by Lucky2018 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:53 pm

Junior wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:12 pm
what version tadpole do you use ?

Finds:

Junior

Post by Junior » Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:42 am

GH s out of Andy sabisch book 2015 so prob an old one...it's difficult to get stuff when u arnt really into computers as no one will put a picture up or settings ...after flossy 1 the one but carnt find any pictures or details ::g

jcmaloney

Post by jcmaloney » Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:00 pm

Had my CTX a while now and I still don`t look at the screen!
Use the tones & your ears for the signals.
You have a multi frequency, multi audio tone machine.
I detect in all metal (most of the time) and listen for the iron/non-ferrous multi toned orchestra.
Iron screams like a cat having its tail trod on, high conductors (big coppers/silvers) scream "in tune" a bit like Kate Bush on Wuthering Heights. :D
In amongst that you get the non-ferrous "bumphs & mumphs" that are smaller targets like cut quarters, pellets, bits of lead etc.

Learn the tones & audio...ignore the screen. ::g
Opinions expressed on MY posts are mine and NOT those of any democratic organisation I volunteer for. ::g

Lucky2018

Post by Lucky2018 » Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:03 pm

Junior wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:42 am
GH s out of Andy sabisch book 2015 so prob an old one...it's difficult to get stuff when u arnt really into computers as no one will put a picture up or settings ...after flossy 1 the one but carnt find any pictures or details ::g
Ive just orded my Andy Sabisch book to the collection and my winter covers for the CTX when it does eventually rain lol :D :)

Im also going to do a field test with my New ctx and the old faithful Terra x30
( this will be interesting as i was going to sell old x30 but think may keep it now )

Finds:

fred

Post by fred » Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:15 pm

jcmaloney wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:00 pm
Had my CTX a while now and I still don`t look at the screen!
Use the tones & your ears for the signals.
You have a multi frequency, multi audio tone machine.
I detect in all metal (most of the time) and listen for the iron/non-ferrous multi toned orchestra.
Iron screams like a cat having its tail trod on, high conductors (big coppers/silvers) scream "in tune" a bit like Kate Bush on Wuthering Heights. :D
In amongst that you get the non-ferrous "bumphs & mumphs" that are smaller targets like cut quarters, pellets, bits of lead etc.

Learn the tones & audio...ignore the screen. ::g

Depends how you set it up. I always used a threshold with iron signals set to give very low or negative signals and everything else gave higher signals depending upon it's size, metal and depth. All bets are off when you get below the depth that the sound ID works at though and digging those is purely down to experience. Usually ignored the screen too except for coinshooting on the beach. ::g
Equinox 800 x2

Lucky2018

Post by Lucky2018 » Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:36 pm

I guess all depends on what we are looking for and conditions as they change in the uk all the time.. :-SS

would be good if i could set depth at 4" mark in some places else i need the pick axe and concrete breaker and a very long extension cable =)) :;@

Finds:

Allectus

Post by Allectus » Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:50 pm

Don't look at the screen &/or dig by numbers.... Use the tones & cover the screen up with tape if you can't stop looking at it. ::g

A ;)
British by Birth - English by the Grace Of God.

Lucky2018

Post by Lucky2018 » Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:34 pm

Allectus wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:50 pm
Don't look at the screen &/or dig by numbers.... Use the tones & cover the screen up with tape if you can't stop looking at it. ::g

A ;)
thanks i know its tough but for the price would like it to be a little easier on the understanding

just done an air test CTX 3030 v's old x30
viewtopic.php?f=248&t=104575

Finds:

Bargeman

Post by Bargeman » Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:11 pm

Junior wrote:
flossy... http://www.flossyrockstar.co.uk/detecting.html ::g

Walk that line, torn apart
spend your whole life trying.
Ride that train, free your heart,
it's midnight up in Harlem.

Midnight in Harlem, Tedeschi Trucks Band

Junior

Post by Junior » Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:29 pm

Bargeman wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:11 pm
Junior wrote:
Cheers just have to convince Mrs to get on the computer now ::g

Buriedbytime&dust

Post by Buriedbytime&dust » Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:59 pm

Junior wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:29 pm
Bargeman wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:11 pm
Junior wrote:
Cheers just have to convince Mrs to get on the computer now ::g
That'll be the easy bit. Getting used to the constant screaming from your machine might be more of a challenge if you have lots of iron in your sites. It's a very noisy program, hence the advice to use it only with headphones that have volume control.

Return to “Minelab CTX 3030 Forum”