Once more unto the breach dear friends....

Only for the discussion of the XP ADX150 / 250 / Adventis Metal Detectors.
beaubrummell

Once more unto the breach dear friends....

Post by beaubrummell » Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:44 pm

Last October I started a new job. My previous job involved working three 12 hour night shifts a week which enabled to get out for an early mid-week hunt once or twice a week (pretty tied up at weekends). My new job is 9 - 5 making it impossible for me to get out during the week. I'm an early morning detectorist (not interested in evenings) and as I don't drive, buses to and from my permissions are less frequent later in the day anyway. You can't beat the sun just coming up, the dawn chorus in full flow and the odd fox saying hello. As I wasn't get out, in a rush of blood I sold my T2, Detech Coil and the Pro Pointer. Got a fair price for the lot and I said to myself when you turn 55 (2 years time) you can hopefully take early retirement and get back out there.

Almost immediately after I sold the gear I started to feel.........blue. I think best described as a 'slough of despond'. Even though I wasn't getting out not having a detector left me feeling down.

So......I have a second hand XP ADX 250 just delivered which I will stick a big coil on and hit my pasture permissions ASAP. I have informed my family that I will be unavailable (barring emergencies) for any and all chores for one morning every weekend be that Saturday or Sunday.

The ADX 250 came with a brand new stock coil and a complete overhaul from the good folk at XP and I've been air testing it all afternoon (well I need something to occupy me whilst I'm off with laryngitis). I'm pretty impressed thus far especially as the stock coil is only 9 inches.

The results that follow only include solid 2 way signals and I was really impressed by the way the signals gently faded away rather than went haywire or fell off a cliff at the extreme range.

Sensitivity was set at about 3 millimetres into the red zone which gave very little chatter and the Frequency switch was set to off.. The tests were carried out indoors.

TARGET...........ALL METAL............DISC 1 (at 2pm)............DISC 2 (on the 'i' of foil)

Horseshoe........Loud tinny............Spitty, chopped.................Nothing

Large nail.........Tinny..................tiny spitty sound................Nothing

Small nail..........Spitty.................Nothing..........................Nothing

Cartridge end......11"......................10".............................Spitty

Coke.................Weak signal..........Weak signal...................Nothing

Small pull tab.......12"......................11.5"..........................11.5"

Large pull tab........12.5"....................12"...........................12"

Tinfoil (50p size).....14".......................13"...........................Tinny sound 13"

Lump of slag...........Iffy signal 10"..........Iffy 10"......................Nothing

Small silver charm......10".....................9".............................9"

1p piece..................12.5"...................12"...........................12"

Small tombac............11"......................10"..........................10"

Vikki sixpence............12"......................11".......................11"

Gr 1943 1/2 crown.......15.5"....................15".........................15"

USA Dime..................12".......................11".........................11"

Commonwealth
Half Groat Hammy.......10".......................9"............................9"

Musket ball................11.5"....................10.5"........................10.5"

Vikki penny................16.5"....................15.5".........................15.5"

Ring (silver plate)........15".......................14"............................14"

Big buckle..................21".......................20"............................20"

Tin of shoe polish.........25"........................23"...........................23"

There seems to be a little more depth in All Metal as you'd expect but no difference between Disc 1 or Disc 2 on these settings (except on targets you don't want to dig and larger non ferrous items). Iron rejection is very good and I was surprised how high I could set the sensitivity considering I was indoors.

The settings I used were taken from the great Gary's review of the ADX 200. I would like to hear from any other XP low kHz owners (ADX, Adventis, Gmaxx) re their experiences using larger coils on these machines. I reckon a Detech Ultimate on board could turn it into a depth monster on my quiet pasture permissions.

HH everyone.

E-Trac
Detech Ultimate
SEF 8x6
Deteknix Wader Li Xpointer
Lesche Digging Tool
AMES entrenching tool
Souped-up Spear & Jackson mini spade
Chefphones CP2 Black
Tomcat Dakota boots
NCMD membership number 13566

Nailman

Re: Once more unto the breach dear friends....

Post by Nailman » Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:10 pm

Thanks for the post
I have a Adventis 2 with the 11 coil, I tend to run it on disc1 set about 12, I never use disc 2
Although I have not done air tests I have had a pocket knife at 9 inches deep in a stuble field.
On my pasture permission Vicky penny at 6 inches and a hunter pocket watch at about 3 inches.
The only Iron I dig are large pieces that would confuse any detector.

I also have a GMP ( The Hammy hoover, mine has had the hammy bit removed and a button and air gun bit put in ;) ) with the ultimate coil very light good coverage,this is now my standard coil would be interested to hear any feedback from people who use this coil on the lower freq. B-) [:)
Fisher F75 SE
Xp. Adventis 2
Chefphones CP3
Chefphones Cp2
Evoloution spade
Bad back
Experienced button digger

beaubrummell

Post by beaubrummell » Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:14 pm

Cheers Nailman. I've read a lot about the depth of the 4.6kHz XP machines so just had to give one a try. There are a few Adventis owners on this forum and they seem to pull out the goods at prodigious depths.
E-Trac
Detech Ultimate
SEF 8x6
Lesche Digging Tool
AMES entrenching tool
Chefphones CP2 Black
Tomcat Dakota boots

T2DEVON

Post by T2DEVON » Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:18 pm

beaubrummell wrote:Cheers Nailman. I've read a lot about the depth of the 4.6kHz XP machines so just had to give one a try. There are a few Adventis owners on this forum and they seem to pull out the goods at prodigious depths.
See you have ditched your T2 & got another machine BB.
Still fixated on depths?
You must have been a submariner in a previous life =))
Best of luck mate.
Teknetics T2 SE
Chefphones, Detech 13" Coil, Whites TRX Pinpointer.

beaubrummell

Post by beaubrummell » Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:29 pm

T2DEVON wrote:
beaubrummell wrote:Cheers Nailman. I've read a lot about the depth of the 4.6kHz XP machines so just had to give one a try. There are a few Adventis owners on this forum and they seem to pull out the goods at prodigious depths.
See you have ditched your T2 & got another machine BB.
Still fixated on depths?
You must have been a submariner in a previous life =))
Best of luck mate.
Cheers T2. Thought I could give up the hobby for a couple of years. How wrong was I !! Once under your skin this hobby has got you for life. I won't be getting out very often but I thought I'd try something new.
E-Trac
Detech Ultimate
SEF 8x6
Lesche Digging Tool
AMES entrenching tool
Chefphones CP2 Black
Tomcat Dakota boots

Ten pence!

Post by Ten pence! » Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:34 pm

beaubrummell wrote:Last October I started a new job. My previous job involved working three 12 hour night shifts a week which enabled to get out for an early mid-week hunt once or twice a week (pretty tied up at weekends). My new job is 9 - 5 making it impossible for me to get out during the week. I'm an early morning detectorist (not interested in evenings) and as I don't drive, buses to and from my permissions are less frequent later in the day anyway. You can't beat the sun just coming up, the dawn chorus in full flow and the odd fox saying hello. As I wasn't get out, in a rush of blood I sold my T2, Detech Coil and the Pro Pointer. Got a fair price for the lot and I said to myself when you turn 55 (2 years time) you can hopefully take early retirement and get back out there.

Almost immediately after I sold the gear I started to feel.........blue. I think best described as a 'slough of despond'. Even though I wasn't getting out not having a detector left me feeling down.

So......I have a second hand XP ADX 250 just delivered which I will stick a big coil on and hit my pasture permissions ASAP. I have informed my family that I will be unavailable (barring emergencies) for any and all chores for one morning every weekend be that Saturday or Sunday.

The ADX 250 came with a brand new stock coil and a complete overhaul from the good folk at XP and I've been air testing it all afternoon (well I need something to occupy me whilst I'm off with laryngitis). I'm pretty impressed thus far especially as the stock coil is only 9 inches.

The results that follow only include solid 2 way signals and I was really impressed by the way the signals gently faded away rather than went haywire or fell off a cliff at the extreme range.

Sensitivity was set at about 3 millimetres into the red zone which gave very little chatter and the Frequency switch was set to off.. The tests were carried out indoors.

TARGET...........ALL METAL............DISC 1 (at 2pm)............DISC 2 (on the 'i' of foil)

Horseshoe........Loud tinny............Spitty, chopped.................Nothing

Large nail.........Tinny..................tiny spitty sound................Nothing

Small nail..........Spitty.................Nothing..........................Nothing

Cartridge end......11"......................10".............................Spitty

Coke.................Weak signal..........Weak signal...................Nothing

Small pull tab.......12"......................11.5"..........................11.5"

Large pull tab........12.5"....................12"...........................12"

Tinfoil (50p size).....14".......................13"...........................Tinny sound 13"

Lump of slag...........Iffy signal 10"..........Iffy 10"......................Nothing

Small silver charm......10".....................9".............................9"

1p piece..................12.5"...................12"...........................12"

Small tombac............11"......................10"..........................10"

Vikki sixpence............12"......................11".......................11"

Gr 1943 1/2 crown.......15.5"....................15".........................15"

USA Dime..................12".......................11".........................11"

Commonwealth
Half Groat Hammy.......10".......................9"............................9"

Musket ball................11.5"....................10.5"........................10.5"

Vikki penny................16.5"....................15.5".........................15.5"

Ring (silver plate)........15".......................14"............................14"

Big buckle..................21".......................20"............................20"

Tin of shoe polish.........25"........................23"...........................23"

There seems to be a little more depth in All Metal as you'd expect but no difference between Disc 1 or Disc 2 on these settings (except on targets you don't want to dig and larger non ferrous items). Iron rejection is very good and I was surprised how high I could set the sensitivity considering I was indoors.

The settings I used were taken from the great Gary's review of the ADX 200. I would like to hear from any other XP low kHz owners (ADX, Adventis, Gmaxx) re their experiences using larger coils on these machines. I reckon a Detech Ultimate on board could turn it into a depth monster on my quiet pasture permissions.

HH everyone.
Are those in the ground depths? Looks very impressive if so!

Can't say I've been that worried about depth that much, one of the big pluses of T2 ownership is the ability find stuff in contaminated ground, I pulled up a shallow Victorian sixpence at the weekend from a section of footpath I've been over literally dozens of times in the past with my old Garrett GTA1000, itself no slouch in the depth department.

beaubrummell

Post by beaubrummell » Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:58 pm

No just air tests Ten Pence. Nowt wrong with the T2 I know. I only have large rather quiet pasture to detect on so I thought I'd give a low frequency machine a go.
E-Trac
Detech Ultimate
SEF 8x6
Lesche Digging Tool
AMES entrenching tool
Chefphones CP2 Black
Tomcat Dakota boots

lordofthecoils

Post by lordofthecoils » Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:08 pm

hi BB thanx for commenting on my post today , anyway like me you probavbly didnt pay much for your second hand xp machine which is the first good thing. even though the 250 and the adventis are the same machines im not sure if your if your dail is numbered the same , but i have found when searching that in disc 1 or 2 i never have to set my top dial more than a few degrees from the start piont eg 6.30 oclock . searching in disc 1 even at that low setting most iron is knocked out but some gets through . then just flip to disc 2 and if its theres still a signal dig!
i was on nail and iron infested ground today [the remains of a very old building] so i was hunting in disc 2 with the discrim dial just of the start positionoday ,believe me thats all it needs it smashes the iron ,any akward bits which all machines struggle with stand out like a sore thumb . so any good finds under the coil are obvious and easily reconisable signals even on trashy ground........hope that helps BB ::g ::g ::g ::g ::g

beaubrummell

Post by beaubrummell » Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:17 pm

lordofthecoils wrote:hi BB thanx for commenting on my post today , anyway like me you probavbly didnt pay much for your second hand xp machine which is the first good thing. even though the 250 and the adventis are the same machines im not sure if your if your dail is numbered the same , but i have found when searching that in disc 1 or 2 i never have to set my top dial more than a few degrees from the start piont eg 6.30 oclock . searching in disc 1 even at that low setting most iron is knocked out but some gets through . then just flip to disc 2 and if its theres still a signal dig!
i was on nail and iron infested ground today [the remains of a very old building] so i was hunting in disc 2 with the discrim dial just of the start positionoday ,believe me thats all it needs it smashes the iron ,any akward bits which all machines struggle with stand out like a sore thumb . so any good finds under the coil are obvious and easily reconisable signals even on trashy ground........hope that helps BB ::g ::g ::g ::g ::g
Cheers Lord. I'll be going out this weekend (hopefully) and I'll give them settings a go.
E-Trac
Detech Ultimate
SEF 8x6
Lesche Digging Tool
AMES entrenching tool
Chefphones CP2 Black
Tomcat Dakota boots

tinsmith

Post by tinsmith » Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:44 pm

Interesting post BB , but noticed no gold items .
Now i know everyone is going to shout that you need a higher khz machine , but i just wonderd if the 250 would still pick the gold up to some degree

beaubrummell

Post by beaubrummell » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:12 pm

tinsmith wrote:Interesting post BB , but noticed no gold items .
Now i know everyone is going to shout that you need a higher khz machine , but i just wonderd if the 250 would still pick the gold up to some degree
No gold on the test as I don't own any mate !!! Found a modern gold ring last year but I flogged it.
E-Trac
Detech Ultimate
SEF 8x6
Lesche Digging Tool
AMES entrenching tool
Chefphones CP2 Black
Tomcat Dakota boots

tinsmith

Post by tinsmith » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:16 pm

Im sure some kind member will donate a sovereign =))

beaubrummell

Post by beaubrummell » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:26 pm

tinsmith wrote:Im sure some kind member will donate a sovereign =))
I'd settle for a gold filling !!
E-Trac
Detech Ultimate
SEF 8x6
Lesche Digging Tool
AMES entrenching tool
Chefphones CP2 Black
Tomcat Dakota boots

Return to “XP ADX150 / 250 / Adventis Forum”