XP ORX into Deus lite?!?

Only for the discussion of the Deus Metal Detector.
Chickenstrip86

XP ORX into Deus lite?!?

Post by Chickenstrip86 »

Hi all,

So currently using an ORX with an x35 11", and am considering getting rid of the control box or swapping it for some ws4 headphones and turning the ORX into a deus lite.

Just wondering if anyone has gone from an orx to lite, and if they liked it. And will it actually be much of an upgrade. I like the idea of access to the deus programs and full tones etc. And I'm not so bothered about losing vdi numbers.

And I understand ws4's with v5.2 have a lot of the settings the full deus has minus a few of course.

Struggling to find any in depth info on the lite its abilities setting and uses so any links to vids appreciated

Thanks.

dig-dog

Re: XP ORX into Deus lite?!?

Post by dig-dog »

It sounds like a good idea to me.
But never having used an orx I couldn’t comment on the difference.

DD ::g
E-trac 13" ultimate coil.
Full XP Deus 11" coil / hf elliptical coil
Sniper spade

lordofthecoils

Post by lordofthecoils »

I have used the deus lite with the hf coil for about 20 months now, no idea on the orx programmes but on the lite with ws4 ,s you have ten programmes , each one gives you almost a different detector and with the choice of tones and the 14,29, and 54 khz with your hf coil the combinations of settings are endless . minus 6 discrim with full tones on prog 2 [gold max power] or the same on deus fast prog 3 , are what I use the most . ::g ::g ::g

Phil2401

Post by Phil2401 »

According to official XP sources, the WS4 headphones will not work with the ORX....

Phil
Quaerite et invenietis

XP Deus

Oxgirl36

Post by Oxgirl36 »

Phil2401 wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:51 pm
According to official XP sources, the WS4 headphones will not work with the ORX....

Phil
But if he’s not using the ORX controller then the HF coil should be ok with the WS4s shouldn’t it? I don’t know for sure so please don’t think I’m an expert on this. It just seems logical that they would :-L
Carpe vinum

XP Deus !!£$ I use the HOT programme on 17khz, reactivity at 2.5 on v5.21 with the X35 11” coil

Phil2401

Post by Phil2401 »

Oxgirl36 wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:55 pm
Phil2401 wrote:

Phil
But if he’s not using the ORX controller then the HF coil should be ok with the WS4s shouldn’t it? I don’t know for sure so please don’t think I’m an expert on this. It just seems logical that they would :-L
The HF coil that comes with the ORX isn't the same as the Deus HF coils - for instance it doesn't have a built-in battery - the ORX coil battery is housed in the lower stem of the shaft, connected to the coil via a coiled cable. Maybe I'm missing something, but probably easiest just to speak to the supplier before doing anything :)

Phil
Quaerite et invenietis

XP Deus

Oxgirl36

Post by Oxgirl36 »

Phil2401 wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:26 pm
Oxgirl36 wrote:
Phil2401 wrote:

Phil
The HF coil that comes with the ORX isn't the same as the Deus HF coils - for instance it doesn't have a built-in battery - the ORX coil battery is housed in the lower stem of the shaft, connected to the coil via a coiled cable. Maybe I'm missing something, but probably easiest just to speak to the supplier before doing anything :)

Phil
All HF coils have the battery in the stem. But take your point, worth asking XP directly I guess.
Carpe vinum

XP Deus !!£$ I use the HOT programme on 17khz, reactivity at 2.5 on v5.21 with the X35 11” coil

Mucky

Post by Mucky »

Just give Regtons a ring.
In my opinion however.. I think an ORX with the X35 coil would be better than a Deus lite, simply because of same response time and depth etc but with a useful visual interface.. Just my opinion .. so no arguments please.

lordofthecoils

Post by lordofthecoils »

Oxgirl36 wrote:
Phil2401 wrote:

Phil
I agree Cathy, I would have thought the hf coil is the hf coil , so there should be no reason why the ws4,s should not pair with his hf coil :D phew that's a tangled web :))
So basically buy the ws4,s use your coil and stem , pair up the coil and controller and 'voular' you have a deus lite ::g
Still always check with dealers to be sure as its a possibility they have produced two types of hf coils B-)

wick

Post by wick »

It should work. I've just brought a 2nd hand hf coil for my lite, the coil came on V5 and my lite is only v4. Was going to get my mate to upgrade everything but he said I did'nt need to. I was under the impression everything needed to be on the same version but it turns out V5 coil will talk to V4 headphones.
All I had to do was put the serial number of the hf coil into the ws4's and all is good.
As long as the ws4's your getting are v5 (as I am told the x35's need v5) it should work fine

dondo

Post by dondo »

Sell the ORX and buy a light on that well known site, the light don't hold there price well but the ORX sell fast.

Chickenstrip86

Post by Chickenstrip86 »

To clarify, I'm allready sure I can pair ws4's with the x35 coil I have.

I'm just wondering how much if any of an upgrade it would be to do, partly because I'd have access to the deus programs and most settings.

I'm really womdering if there will be a noticeable difference using say, deus fast compared to coin fast etc.

The achievable frequencies are the same, but I know the program's are different.

Oxgirl36

Post by Oxgirl36 »

Trouble is you’ll need someone who has used both and I don’t think there are many of those yet.
Carpe vinum

Chickenstrip86

Post by Chickenstrip86 »

Oxgirl36 wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:19 pm
Trouble is you’ll need someone who has used both and I don’t think there are many of those yet.
Yes, there in lies the main issue. Most of the basics I know, like the fact I can do it. Just wondering if it's a worthwhile upgrade or what. Guess I'll do some more digging. Maybe get on the phone to regtons.

I mean the orx is a good bit of kit. And I am finding the goods. Just thinking out loud really about changing it up.

Chickenstrip86

XP ORX into Deus lite.

Post by Chickenstrip86 »

Hi all, so I'm currently using an orx, with an x35 11" coil, and I have the opportunity to swap the control box for some ws4 headphones. I allready know this is possible. And am just wondering if anyone has used both the orx and the lite, and if there is a noticeable difference in depth and more options between the 2. I also do like the idea of detecting from purely tomes, as vdi is something I'm not so keen on, as it's something that I tend to fixate on.
Thansk.

bob79

Re: XP ORX into Deus lite.

Post by bob79 »

Are the Ws4's running V5 software, you will need that to run them with the X35 coil.

Bob ::g

BazButtons

Post by BazButtons »

I went the other way,from deus lite to full orx and don't regret it,the only thing I miss is the full tone option available to the deus
Hopefully this may be introduced in a future update. Regarding depth,I've pulled items from really Good depths and that's in 25 khz with my 9 inch x35 coil..

Chickenstrip86

Post by Chickenstrip86 »

Yes the ws4's are running v5.2 so all good there.

And how come you went from deus lite to full orx!

On the phone to Regtons earlier they told me that without a doubt the lite would be an upgrade and would be deeper. And that the ORX is unlikely to get the upgrades like we would expect.
For me full tomes and possibly an x-y screen would make me think about keeping the control box but that doesnt seem likely!

BazButtons

Post by BazButtons »

Without the up grades I'm content to keep the orx,although I primarily go with tones I do like a vdi as a secondary back up.
As regards depth I haven't seen a great deal of difference. .

Jamesey1981

Post by Jamesey1981 »

I have a deus lite, I've not had it for long so I'm not an expert, but I did look into it a lot before I made the decision to buy it, I haven't used both machines but I'm guessing you know the ORX pretty well, and in that case my observations as a new deus lite user might help.

As long as you have it running on at least version 5 you can make most of the adjustments to the machine that you can with the remote, although you are doing it via the headphones which is a bit awkward for making adjustments on the fly, I found the ws4s a bit uncomfortable anyway so I have wrist mounted the controller and I am using the blue xp backphones, these are a bit more comfortable for me and it gives gives better access to the buttons, it also enables you to look at the numbers if you wish, I haven't yet as I have been using deus fast or wet beach, but I'll probably look at them while I learn the full tones and the sooty and sweep settings (pitch mode!)

The things that you can't change that I have so far spotted are tone breaks, you are tied to using whatever these have been set at by the factory, so you wont be able to use Gary's Sonar program for example. Also you can't select beach mode, it has a wet beach mode, but any programs that you need the low ground balance setting for will need to start from wet beach as a platform, this actually worked just fine for me when I went out last, but I would have liked to try out the adapted gold field program that some people use.

You can't set the ground balance to pumping, although you can get around this by using gold field to take a reading of the ground and then making the adjustment manually in whichever program you are using, alternatively you can use tracking if that's what you would rather do. I've just been setting it manually anyway, I only took a reading on the beach.

I don't know how many of these things you can do on the ORX and if you'll miss them, but to be honest although I have learned all this stuff about the machine (I am one for reading manuals!) On the few trips out I have had with my deus lite I have been able to get the machine to behave with the settings I have available without a problem, the only thing I would like to be able to do is set up the sonar program for grotty land, this isn't a deal breaker though as there is so much that it can do that the few things that it can't haven't been a problem yet.

Chickenstrip86

Post by Chickenstrip86 »

Jamesey1981 wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:41 am
I have a deus lite, I've not had it for long so I'm not an expert, but I did look into it a lot before I made the decision to buy it, I haven't used both machines but I'm guessing you know the ORX pretty well, and in that case my observations as a new deus lite user might help.

As long as you have it running on at least version 5 you can make most of the adjustments to the machine that you can with the remote, although you are doing it via the headphones which is a bit awkward for making adjustments on the fly, I found the ws4s a bit uncomfortable anyway so I have wrist mounted the controller and I am using the blue xp backphones, these are a bit more comfortable for me and it gives gives better access to the buttons, it also enables you to look at the numbers if you wish, I haven't yet as I have been using deus fast or wet beach, but I'll probably look at them while I learn the full tones and the sooty and sweep settings (pitch mode!)

The things that you can't change that I have so far spotted are tone breaks, you are tied to using whatever these have been set at by the factory, so you wont be able to use Gary's Sonar program for example. Also you can't select beach mode, it has a wet beach mode, but any programs that you need the low ground balance setting for will need to start from wet beach as a platform, this actually worked just fine for me when I went out last, but I would have liked to try out the adapted gold field program that some people use.

You can't set the ground balance to pumping, although you can get around this by using gold field to take a reading of the ground and then making the adjustment manually in whichever program you are using, alternatively you can use tracking if that's what you would rather do. I've just been setting it manually anyway, I only took a reading on the beach.

I don't know how many of these things you can do on the ORX and if you'll miss them, but to be honest although I have learned all this stuff about the machine (I am one for reading manuals!) On the few trips out I have had with my deus lite I have been able to get the machine to behave with the settings I have available without a problem, the only thing I would like to be able to do is set up the sonar program for grotty land, this isn't a deal breaker though as there is so much that it can do that the few things that it can't haven't been a problem yet.

Cheers bud, that's very helpful, you cant do any tone break changing on the orx anyhow, so that wont be missed.I also dont go anywhere near beaches, so again all good!
As for ground balancing, as of yet I've actually never needed to change it, so I'm hoping it wont make much difference with the lite. Also it would seem with the v5.2 on the ws4's you have a lot of the expert settings now as well. I'm also not bothered about vdi, as I've noticed I've become too dependent on it, and not learning the tones properly. I do like the idea of the wrist strap to be able to adjust on the go. And I allready have the blue back phones. I'm thinking I know which way I'd like to go. The orx is good no doubt, but I'd like the availability of the deus programs and setting to give just a bit more to play with.

Jamesey1981

Post by Jamesey1981 »

You can still ground balance on the lite, but you only have the option to do it manually or with tracking, the pumping setting that grabs the ground reading and then sets it needs a pinpoint button which the ws4 controller doesnt have.

You can work around that by holding down the minus button on program 10 gold field and pumping it, then it will give you the reading then you can manually input that in whichever program you want to use.

You won't need to do it often, I have only used that feature on the beach, but it's still good to know it's there as you will get a more stable machine than you will using tracking if the ground conditions get awkward.

You can download the version 5 deus manual from XPs website in PDF form, might be worth having a look because then you have a bit more info to help make your decision.

I was a little worried about going for the lite until I found out that the version 5 update had all the extra settings, I was planning on grabbing a control box one day, I'm actually not sure if I'll bother now I have had a play with it.

Chickenstrip86

Post by Chickenstrip86 »

Jamesey1981 wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:37 pm
You can still ground balance on the lite, but you only have the option to do it manually or with tracking, the pumping setting that grabs the ground reading and then sets it needs a pinpoint button which the ws4 controller doesnt have.

You can work around that by holding down the minus button on program 10 gold field and pumping it, then it will give you the reading then you can manually input that in whichever program you want to use.

You won't need to do it often, I have only used that feature on the beach, but it's still good to know it's there as you will get a more stable machine than you will using tracking if the ground conditions get awkward.

You can download the version 5 deus manual from XPs website in PDF form, might be worth having a look because then you have a bit more info to help make your decision.

I was a little worried about going for the lite until I found out that the version 5 update had all the extra settings, I was planning on grabbing a control box one day, I'm actually not sure if I'll bother now I have had a play with it.

Funnily enough I've just downloaded it!! And have been watching all the vids I can, I think it will be the right move for me. I too wanted to get the control box, but just cant justify the price of one, unless I can find one second hand cheap enough. That sai, and as you mentioned, the ws4's on v5.2, have more than enough adjustments for me. And the box will probably only serve as a vdi unit, as I dont believe I'd ever use all the tone breaks, and as much as I like the idea of the horseshoe and x/y screen, I think the novelty would wear off. And ultimately be just like looking at numbers again, instead of leaning the tones!

Oxgirl36

Post by Oxgirl36 »

FYI The control box does a lot more than tone breaks. It lets you make fine adjustments on other settings, like frequency. On coke ridden sites the XY screen is also invaluable.

But going back to your original question have you considered getting a second hand set of WS4s and testing if you prefer the tones and the functionality? If you love it then great, if not you can sell them and get your money back and will still have the ORX controller. Just a thought ::g
Carpe vinum

Chickenstrip86

Post by Chickenstrip86 »

Oxgirl36 wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:29 pm
FYI The control box does a lot more than tone breaks. It lets you make fine adjustments on other settings, like frequency. On coke ridden sites the XY screen is also invaluable.

But going back to your original question have you considered getting a second hand set of WS4s and testing if you prefer the tones and the functionality? If you love it then great, if not you can sell them and get your money back and will still have the ORX controller. Just a thought ::g
I had considered getting some to try. But not sure I can convince the wife it's a necessity 😂😂, I do generally did off tones as it is, I just find with the control box I start to associate certain numbers with certain finds ie foil etc, and then start to leave certain targets always second guessing myself!! I fo like the idea of an x/y screen and the other functions but I'm not sure that I wouldnt just end up relying on it if I had it. I guess my main concern Is, is the deus lite better and or deeper than the ORX, I'm not sure, but I do know it has a lot more adjustability than the ORX as it is quite a simple machine. It seems there are not many that have had bothered to make a certain comparison. And when I spoke to Regtons, they seem to think it would be a definite upgrade, and although I would assume most companies would say that to encourage you to spend more. I did make it clear it was a private swap deal. And the answer was still the same. So I'm thinking they have nougt to gain?!?!

Jamesey1981

Post by Jamesey1981 »

Oxgirl36 wrote:

I did dig up a fair bit of coke at my last club dig which was somewhat annoying, lol.

Chickenstrip86

Post by Chickenstrip86 »

Jamesey1981 wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:57 pm
Oxgirl36 wrote:

I did dig up a fair bit of coke at my last club dig which was somewhat annoying, lol.
I've dug coke with the orx as well. Just one of those things with xp machines I guess, until you really know the tone!! Or maybe just desinted to be fooled forever by it!

Paulmlpss

Post by Paulmlpss »

I do too. I find it's a scratchy signal around 35 but fluctuates a lot if you try it 90 degrees. I still dig them anyway as you can never be too sure if it's a small hammered etc.
XP ORX 11inch x35 coil
Garrett carrot
Hammered coins 2020 = 3

Chickenstrip86

Post by Chickenstrip86 »

Just for anyone interested, I have done the swap and got some ws4 headphones, and yes, it is a massive upgrade, and I absolutely wish I'd never bothered buying the orx at all. Good machine. But pointless really unless you depend on vdi.

Jamesey1981

Post by Jamesey1981 »

Have you tried out the hot program yet?

I like it, but it's going to take some learning compared to the three tone programs.

Return to “XP DEUS Forum”