Detecting in Newquay with my Deus Lite, wet sand advice

Only for the discussion of the Deus Metal Detector.
jondurandsilver

Detecting in Newquay with my Deus Lite, wet sand advice

Post by jondurandsilver » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:27 am

Hi folks.
I have a deus lite which I intend to use for a few hours over the next week in Newquay.
I have tried before using the wetsand mode before but it was difficult with all the chattering going on.
I've got the manual so I can ground balance etc.
Dry sand is good if you want modern coinage,ring pulls and the odd bit of jewellery but it's closer to the water I want to detect.. And the deus dry sand mode works well. But the wetsand mode is not as good, even though last year I did pick up a nice pair of sunglasses B-) .
Question is should I persevere with trying the wetsand programme or should I not bother as it's no good?
I love the beach and it's a wonderful place to detect in your sandals and shorts but shall I leave the wmd behind?(weapon of mass detection)
Any thoughts on this matter would be greatly received.

sweepstick47

Re: Detecting in Newquay with my Deus Lite, wet sand advice

Post by sweepstick47 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:22 pm

As you have no replies to the question, although I'm not a Deus user myself, of the two questions asked I believe the second is the the more practical way forward.

Despite having a 'Wet Beach' programme, Deus user's have reported that it is not without adverse operating difficulties (in beach mode) so making operating adjustments is unlikely to enable trouble free detecting on wet sand. I think it's a case of horses for courses. Good Luck - Regards ss47
A disservice is no service at all.

Bors

Post by Bors » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:43 pm

Using the Deus on wet sand is a waste of time. It simply isn`t meant to be a detector for that purpose.
Would you use a two-wheel car to go cross country driving just because you fit some Winter tyres on it ?
The answer is no. It really needs to be a 4x4 suitable for a dedicated off road driving vehicle .
Same as you don`t think about using a Deus on wet sand because it hasn`t the onboard facility to enable it to be used on a highly mineralised wet sand beach, so the answer is either don`t bother or buy a "dedicated" beach detector.

Devonboy

Post by Devonboy » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:46 am

Don’t be put off by the replies above. Although not designed for beach use you can still find stuff in the wet sand with it. It won’t detect as much or as deep as a Minelab but I and others have had success with the Deus in the wet including many coins and gold rings.

Good luck, Tony

ROCK HOPPER

Post by ROCK HOPPER » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:03 am

Good luck. Don't forget slow and low but the sand seems to be very deep all around Newquay.

nalag46

Post by nalag46 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:50 am

by Devonboy » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:46 am
Don’t be put off by the replies above. Although not designed for beach use you can still find stuff in the wet sand with it. It won’t detect as much or as deep as a Minelab but I and others have had success with the Deus in the wet including many coins and gold rings.

I am in total agreement with the above. Settings can be adjusted to suit the particular beach/sand conditions and make the Deus much less noisy than most report and then give up. I only do wet sand and so far this year have had 10 gold rings and 2 platinum. Coins? 395 and counting. The Minelab work better because of their multi-frequency software design but I have followed a long-time Etrak user that "seems" to work out when I am going to be on the beach and after checking the areas he's been, I have picked up to small gold rings and loads of coins, the reason, Minelab are quieter and work very well in the wet but if there is lots of iron about, they null out the "goodies" close to the iron which I pick up with the Deus. Enough said.

shaggybfc

Post by shaggybfc » Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:00 pm

I never really got on with the Deus on the wet sands of Widemouth bay. Dry sand, not a problem, even using the standard non-beach programs - I was getting good depth - the molten aluminium, ring pulls didn't stand a chance. :D
The best results I got on wet sand was by using the dry sand program and dropping the sensitivity down to 80, reactivity down to 2.5, frequency 11khz and the GB right down to 20 - 25. Go low (but don't touch the sand) and slow - certainly listen for the nice faint high tones. It was fairly stable, but then I wasn't confident with it. Saying that, I did find some modern coins at 6" - 8"
The Deus isn't ideal, but give it ago, see what works best for you.
Good luck
Andi
XP Deus, 11" X35 coil, WS4 back-phones, remote and an empty bank balance. XP MI 6 pin pointer. Garrett Ace 250 wireless MPow set up.
They told me I’d never be any good at poetry, because I’m dyslexic, but so far I’ve made 3 jugs and a vase.

jondurandsilver

Post by jondurandsilver » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:18 pm

Thanks for your replies.
I'll take a coin down and have a play.
I might get lucky and get the coil over a shallow ring. :;@

Me and my boy

Post by Me and my boy » Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:47 am

Good luck with the beach.
You’ve for gotten one important bit of kit to go with the sandals and shorts though, The ice cream! 😋
Best of luck and I hope you find a nice ring🤞

Return to “XP DEUS Forum”