Xterra705 not reading gold!

Only for the discussion of the Minelab X-TERRA range of metal detectors within this forum.
vikingwarrior

Xterra705 not reading gold!

Post by vikingwarrior » Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:22 pm

Hi all just wondering if anyone can give me some advice, I've been using the 705 for years now but today I thought I'd test some gold bits and I was shocked to find out that my machine isn't reading gold very well, I tried a small locket in a hole at 3 inches and it didn't even recognise there was anything in the hole, then I tried a chain and not the flimsy ones and even touching the coil it didn't get a good response, the locket on the grass gave me a 6 on the meter
Anyone else have this issue?
I was using the large 7.5 kHz coil
V.W

One day Rodney we'll be millionaires...
X-TERRA 705 + GPP
Best finds to date:
Bronze Age chisel
Silver propelling pencil seal
1 silver ring
1 lizy hammy
41 silver coins
7 bronze rings
1 Queen Anne coin
4 William 3 silver coin
William 3 silver love token

rickyp123

Re: Xterra705 not reading gold!

Post by rickyp123 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:58 pm

i have a 705 not using at min using the deus i have found this in the past especially the low numbers i have quite a few different coils for mine if i get time over next few days will run through them and see what one is best for the gold mate if this would be of help to you

vikingwarrior

Post by vikingwarrior » Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:14 am

rickyp123 wrote:i have a 705 not using at min using the deus i have found this in the past especially the low numbers i have quite a few different coils for mine if i get time over next few days will run through them and see what one is best for the gold mate if this would be of help to you
Hiya yeah thanks I'd apreciate that, I also gave the elliptical and the 5 inch coil, but I've been mainly using the 11 inch 7.5
Makes me wonder what I've been missing over the years
V.W
X-TERRA 705 + GPP
Best finds to date:
Bronze Age chisel
1 silver ring
1 lizy hammy
41 silver coins
7 bronze rings
1 Queen Anne coin
4 William 3 silver coin
William 3 silver love token

Batman

Post by Batman » Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:35 am

Hi vw, I must admit that is a bit perturbing. I can only assume that being an experienced 705 user that you are all set up with gb, sensitivity and all the settings properly. I had the 7.5khz 10.5DD on mine for 3 years and have found gold with it but I now have the nel tornado coil fitted which is a very sensitive coil. I am very interested to find out myself what your problem is so let us know what conclusions you come to please and good luck with sorting it out. ::g

phen58

Post by phen58 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:13 am

Hi VW
I too found the standard coil lacking on the 705 (not the machine itself) so I invested in the NEL 18.75kHz coil and never looked back. I have had several gold items with it rings, earings even a small chain and neckless (sadly all modern) I now keep this coil on all the time as I have also had a few hammered with it as well!
Read Des Dunnes take on the higher frequency coil here [url][https://www.minelab.com/treasure-talk/x ... ld-you-use url]
I hope this helps?
Phen 58

targets

Post by targets » Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:17 am

Deus won't see a gold or silver chain either .right on the coil
' hammys how i love ya, how i love ya my dear old hammys '

Blackadder43

Post by Blackadder43 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:30 am

There was a piece written a long time ago about gold chains and detecting, i will see if i can find it.
The crux of it was that although when in your hand the chain amounts to a nice chunk of gold, in reality it is a bunch of tiny gold links that only just touch each other when spread out.
Detectors struggle to see the "mass" of gold due to the very small touching points. It is often seen as a few of the links which may not be enough to trigger a response on a general machine.
A dedicated gold hunting machine may see it better, but i think in the real world we would struggle.

The ultimate test would be a clean test garden and test targets of a gold coin, a nugget, then down to the micro items such as chains and earings.
The same can be said of earrings, although when melted it might be a chunk of gold, when it is an earing it is a very thin loop which is often not a complete loop.

I'll see if i can find the article again
When you are right no one remembers; when you are wrong no one forgets

Blackadder43

Post by Blackadder43 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:49 am

This isnt the article i was thinking of, but in my humble opinion Thomas Dankowski the writer of this article is an absolute detecting genius.
He worked for Fisher and designed the CZ3D machine which i reluctantly had to sell many years ago.
He is methodical in his detecting and this article will be useful to a new detectorist as well as a experienced detectorist.
Make a cup of tea and read it all, although i am not good with pdf files and some of the pages continue a few pages on from where you are reading.
http://www.fisherlab.com/hobby/document ... e5thed.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Batman

Post by Batman » Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:17 pm

I have tried my wife's 22crt gold wedding ring on the back lawn, given that the garden is full of builders rubbish and c**p on finding a pretty clear space to try it I have found that on the surface it is coming up consistently at around 16 or 18 on the screen with my 7.5khz nel coil. I know there will probably be a difference number wise when deeper in the soil. Give a try on a solid ring and see what results you get, as the guys say it might just be the particular items you are trying it on.

littleboot

Post by littleboot » Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:47 pm

Just had several cups of tea reading that article BA. (In reality its several articles.)
Some excellent nuggets of info buried within it....at times confirming my thoughts and at times giving me pause.
The gist confirms my view that slowing swing speed is essential for finding small gold items especially in trashy soil. It also really illustrates why digging more iffy signals is paramount importance. Plus don't trust visual read-outs too much.

I found the most thought-provoking aspect was concerning soil stability and sink speeds of coins.Often people will claim depth isn't an issue because 'most hammereds are found at less than 5 inches'. Found is the key-word. Most hammered will, in reality, be well out of range unless a plough comes along and turns the soil or a rock has stopped the coins sinking lower. I think this is the reason we often come across fields that according to our research 'should' yield lots of finds but seem empty. The finds are there but out of range. Whereas another field that seems less promising gives up more finds. What we find isn't necessarily a true indication of what is there. Research has to include soil stability and at least a broad indication of how fast stuff sinks in it to be complete. No point finding a great site if everything has sunk out of range.
GMP, Tesoro Invincible, wellies.

Blackadder43

Post by Blackadder43 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:58 pm

If you google Thomas Dankowski then you will find his site.
If you are technically minded and an organised detectorist then you will enjoy his site.
He works for NASA now and in my eyes is an obsessional detecting genius, and really goes into depth explaining stuff that a lot of us dont give 2 minutes thought too.

vikingwarrior

Post by vikingwarrior » Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:04 pm

Thanks for the replys, I will defo check tha out blackadder.
V.W
X-TERRA 705 + GPP
Best finds to date:
Bronze Age chisel
1 silver ring
1 lizy hammy
41 silver coins
7 bronze rings
1 Queen Anne coin
4 William 3 silver coin