Xterra UK Coin Chart

Only for the discussion of the Minelab X-TERRA range of metal detectors within this forum.
indie

Xterra UK Coin Chart

Post by indie » Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:40 pm

Hi all,

While i'm sure it's all public knowledge where certain UK coins (and abroad) fit on a sliding scale, I understand that every machine is different.

I'm very new so I was wondering if there is a chart for the Xterra? It's not essential but would be handy.

Chris

Minelab Xterra 705
7.5Khz DD, Nel Sharpshooter 18.75Khz, Cors 12"x13" 3Khz - 18.75Khz
Garrett Carrott, Garmin GpsMap 60, Minelab Pro Swing, ada long spade

sweepstick47

Re: Xterra UK Coin Chart

Post by sweepstick47 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:21 pm

Hello 'indie' and welcome to the forum ::g You're quite right, most, if not all detectors, have their own performance 'foibles' but don't get to hung-up on the target ID meter read-outs for given targets because (as an example) a coin can (and will) indicate a different ID value dependant upon several 'in-ground' conditions. Some of which will be:- Depth of target, degree of oxidation of the coin, the influence of 'near-by' metal or mineral objects, correct detector settings, local EMF readings and of course, the angle of the target in relation to the search-coil (or vice versa).

Most users of detectors with a target ID meter fitted, use it purely as a guide to what the target 'could be'. Digging all signals initially is the best way to getting to know your detector and thereby gain experience more quickly. You've heard the saying 'no pain no gain' well it rings true regarding digging all signals and I have to say, digging all signals, albeit only initially, can be a pain but the rewards in terms of gaining experience and confidence in your machine is well worth it! Wishing you well and Good Luck ::g Regards ss47
Arado 130 - Garrett Groundhog - Tesoro Eldorado - Fisher 1265X - Goldmax Power Makro Racer. Homemade Harness!

Mega B

Post by Mega B » Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:24 pm

Wise words as usual from ss47 ::g
Some of my current machines Nexus MP,Nexus SE,Deus,T2,TDI Pro pulse,Crossbow Pulse,Mirage Pulse,Fisher TW-5 twin box and others.

phen58

Post by phen58 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:56 pm

Hi I too echo sweeps words.
I use the Xterra 705 and have found even if a target gives a certain number on the first location in the ground, once you start removing soil this target ID number can change and often change again as you dig deeper.
Always dig repeating signals (those that sound in both directions) always dig positive signals (those without the negative prefix) and on most (but not all) occasions if it a part signal with a iron grunt to it, it's usually junk!
But these are worth digging if the soil conditions are not too difficult, just to see what they are. You will know when you've dug x amount of shotgun caps or farmers machinery bits and then leave these signals being pretty confident it's junk!
Hope this helps, regards.

Fusion

Post by Fusion » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:04 pm

Are you beach detecting for modern drops? Boot sale field hunting ?
The answer depends on the frequency of search-coil you've fitted, I believe. You might get more replies if you told us this.
Is your wallet empty after buying the machine? If not, maybe you could kick off the 'coin list' with some of your own.
And regarding older coins: Pre-decimal bronze coins (1860-1967) will read over a significant range, depending how corroded they are - a 'fresh' 1960's example in clean park soil will read a lot 'higher up' than a fertilizer-destroyed one from farmland.
:(

Return to “Minelab X-TERRA Forum”