x-terra 50 help with id and tone ??

Only for the discussion of the Minelab X-TERRA range of metal detectors within this forum.
jeff82

x-terra 50 help with id and tone ??

Post by jeff82 »

Hey all just getting in to the hobby and trying to work my detector out I have been doing a lot of research on the machine and how it reacts to diff metals I have been hunting coins which I'm happy with at the moment dug about 15 now in the past week ..

So my question is ..and its prob been asked loads all ready ..
I'm confused with the id and tones.
I have found that 32..33..36 with a high tone identify copper coins ..ie. Victorian pennies ..half pennies..
But sometimes I get a solid lock and high tone on 36 so I dig it and I end up with a tin can

I keep getting screaming high tone 45 at 5 bars deep about 10" down ...what does 45 normally produce ..
And most importantly could someone give me a list of personally found id numbers for diff metals..ie.silver..gold....

And what sort of tones should I stop and dig...sorry dont want to be lazy but I'm spending far to long digging junk
Thanx
Jeff

IF IM NOT HERE .. IM SEEKING HISTORY (with a spade) and my son

MINELAB X-TERRA 50
FISHER F11

BILLS FINDS

Re: x-terra 50 help with id and tone ??

Post by BILLS FINDS »

the way i learned was hunt in all metal when you get a signal go in to pinpoint mode if you get a negative number it will be iron if the number is positive dig it you will soon learn your machine you have to dig the rubbish to appreciate the good stuff ::g
MINELAB E-TRAC
TEKNETICS T2 LTD
STAINLESS SPADE
EVOLUTION DIGGING KNIFE
X POINTER
NCMD MEMBER

jeff82

Post by jeff82 »

Thanx for the advice bill ..I had another few trips out today and did as u said I honed in and pinpointed all diff numbers and tones and dug...I have found (6-9) produce silvers.ie.10p..5p.. also foil tins .ie.pie dishes and cigerette packs...but at least I know now to take a chance ..I am becoming very confident on (36) with high tone its a copper..got 12 coppers tonight ..all locked 36 and I picked the targets in busy (-6) spots ..so that's another confidence booster for me ...they were all legal tender 1p..2p..but a good clarification on the (36) ...me and my 8yr old had a comp to see who could locate the oldest coin..and he won..he was over the moon with his 1977 half penny ..and the first new half penny we have dug ...great fun in the drizzly weather :)
Jeff
IF IM NOT HERE .. IM SEEKING HISTORY (with a spade) and my son

MINELAB X-TERRA 50
FISHER F11

fisheruk

Post by fisheruk »

Foil and pull tabs are in the gold range, its one of the cruel aspects of detecting.
Fisher F4.
Makro Racer.
Makro Pointer
Garrett Pro Pointer.
Lesche Raptor.
Draper mini spade.

Return to “Minelab X-TERRA Forum”