it's a no go....ld for Minelab X-Terra 705

Only for the discussion of the Minelab X-TERRA range of metal detectors within this forum.
Fusion

Re: it's a no go....ld for Minelab X-Terra 705

Post by Fusion »

Greetings, Glen.
I suggest you try out the detector in air, first with a variety of targets, to check the basic operation, and ensure there are no 'dead' areas in its response, and then, if all appears OK, try it on the ground. It could be a fault related to ground balance, which would affect low-conductivity items (like small gold) more than, say, a high-conductivity 2p coin. If it is a GB problem, try adjusting it in manual mode, just to see if that affects anything.
All the best. Splooot!

Blackadder43
Admin

Post by Blackadder43 »

Lay the machine on a table outside....
Have the machine wide open with no patterns set.....
It should register it , although it may be a faint and low signal depending on the size of the ring....

Stupid question but is the ring whole and not broken?....
Broken gold rings especialy female ones are extremely hard to find as the break messes with the signal and some machines can and will ignore them.....
Its not that it cant see the ring it is because of the break...
Not saying yours is broken but something to look into...
Even if it is worn thin in an area may be enough to cause this....
Doing a test on the ground even if you do think its completly metal free is not a good test...
Someone in the states, i think Tom Dankowski did an experiemnt with a silver or gold? coin, he buryed it and the machine found it no problem, he then sprinkled some rusty iron flakes around the coin and the machine couldnt see the coin anymore.......

Lots of factors to take into account here.....
When you are right no one remembers; when you are wrong no one forgets

Kmarsh

Post by Kmarsh »

hello Glen, just blown the dust off me 505. and nicked me wifes gold .... 1 gold ring, 1 gold bangle.both different carats by the way... switched on, Gb and off it churped..
24 on the ring....33 on the bangle.

settings. to be honest, once ground balanced (on mine). threshold set, its switch on and go, whether in all metal or I generally have -9 and -6 nulled out....tones..3. sens full then tone it down
if it gets chattery....noise..2. thresh 9-12 on mine or until faint humm. sound as high as ya ears will allow.........other than the above me thinks ya may have a problem.. test on a concentric coil....
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro.
Makro Racer.
Minelab Excalibur.

Blackadder43
Admin

Post by Blackadder43 »

Just another thought.....change the batterys.......
I am trying to locate something i read a while ago about how difficult it is to find female thin rings.....
When you are right no one remembers; when you are wrong no one forgets

Kmarsh

Post by Kmarsh »

Mmmmm, makes ya think.... :D
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro.
Makro Racer.
Minelab Excalibur.

Fusion

Post by Fusion »

Sunny Herts is bone dry, like most of the South, my buoy.
I was thinking of doing the airtests outside, but away from ground. I presume you have a pinpoint mode that will buzz louder as you get nearer the target- if ground balance is set up correctly, pressing the button with the coil 60 - 100cm above the ground and then lowering the coil should result in pickup of the ground at 10 - 30 cm. If the coil has to go lower you could be 'badly balanced'.
You haven't got it set in some 'Beach mode', by error?
Try making a coin garden, a 5p for low-conductivity tests, a 1p(older copper type) for high-conductivity. Depths from 4 to 10 inches should be Ok.
Youz have a second coil, I recall? Tried them both?

Guybrush

Post by Guybrush »

An air test with an 18ct white gold ring and my 705 reads 6 on the display. With a 9ct yellow gold ring it reads 4 one way and 6 the other. It's has found gold on the beach.

I'd do a few more air tests making sure you wave the jewelery around and at various distances away. Make sure your sensitivity is above 16.

If it still doesn't work, there's probably a way to do a factory reset but I can't find my manual at the moment.
My YouTube Channel

Minelab Equinox
Garrett Pro-pointer
Evolution Extreme Blade
Sandwiches

Trenchie

Post by Trenchie »

Glenfiddich wrote:a few days ago I went out on a new farm permission with my good lady and after a while I asked her to take off her 18 carat engagement ring and let me see which number comes up on my Minelab X-Terra 705 screen and which sound it makes as well and to my horror there was no signal in any of the 4 preset modes that the machine has and when I put it in all metal mode there was still no signal whatsoever, then I asked her for other gold jewlery including a set of 14 carat gold earings and two 9 carat gold bracelets and I tried them in every setting and the machine could not read any of them :( how many gold items I may have walked over since I bought it back at the beginning of the year :( :( I would never have known about it yet when my fiancee uses my old Garrett Ace 250 she is finding more than me, baa humbug :-O

I phoned Des Dunne at Minelab's head office in Co Cork and he grabbed a X-terra 705 and set it up in his office and then he told me that he had two gold coins at hand (lucky him 8-> ) and that when he ran the half gold sovereign over the top of the coil it came up as a number 16 on his screen and when he ran a full gold sovereign just above the coil it came up as a number 26 and I could he both gold coins making two different sounds over the phone, now he said that he didn't have any gold jewelery on him to test but that I should try again as it was working for him

Question 1 :-/

I use my X-Terra 705 mostly in all metal mode and in automatic set up purely because if I use any of the other 4 discimination modes there are too many metals that are discriminated out and in all metal mode I can hear everything, then when I pin point it if a minus number appears then usually I don't dig it but as mentioned already it is easier to set the machine up in automatic mode as apposed to setting it up manually however I know that it is possible to tweek the automatic settings simply by pressing the + or - buttons so my next question would be.......

Hey Glenfiddich, have you found any more on your the woes here? be interested to hear of the outcome..

Koala

Post by Koala »

Sounds like the ground balance is too far out.

Read the tread on here about poor depth on the T2 last week

affects air tests as well.

A small piece of ferrite is great for testing ground balance in all metal mode. If it is too far from the norm gold will be the first to be affected followed by silver.

syzygy

Post by syzygy »

Glen, I can do air tests in my house with my 705. it gets better results than my makro racer.

slowsweep

Post by slowsweep »

lolz...... 8-|
lots of MD related stuff ;))

fisheruk

Post by fisheruk »

Gold seems to read very low on X-Terra 705.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Fisher F4.
Makro Racer.
Makro Pointer
Garrett Pro Pointer.
Lesche Raptor.
Draper mini spade.

BILLS FINDS

Post by BILLS FINDS »

to pick up gold better you need a 18khz coil the 7.5khz coil is not that good on gold my dad has the x-terra 705 and found he was missing things the etrac was picking up he changed to the 18khz coil and finds a lot more of the good finds
MINELAB E-TRAC
TEKNETICS T2 LTD
STAINLESS SPADE
EVOLUTION DIGGING KNIFE
X POINTER
NCMD MEMBER

BILLS FINDS

Post by BILLS FINDS »

just tested 18ct diamond ring with 705 7.5khz dd coil gave a reading of 8 sounds like you have a coil problem or your detector needs a service / recalibration hope this helps
MINELAB E-TRAC
TEKNETICS T2 LTD
STAINLESS SPADE
EVOLUTION DIGGING KNIFE
X POINTER
NCMD MEMBER

syzygy

Post by syzygy »

syzygy wrote:Glen, I can do air tests in my house with my 705. it gets better results than my makro racer.
I should have mentioned that it was with a gold ring.

syzygy

Post by syzygy »

slowsweep wrote:lolz...... 8-|

?

Fusion

Post by Fusion »

"Lolz" presumably because it's a 4-year thread bump. Mr. Fiddich has likely sorted out his X-Terra issue (and he's had several more machines since then).

Footnote: Lolz = Lols = "laughing out loud"s

Smithfire

Post by Smithfire »

As stated above the 18k coils are superior on gold items. I only use yhat particular frequency. I have tried the 7.5k coil but it only seems to like the deep coppers. Maybe check the auto ground balance haz no plus or minus on it.

Best of luck

Clive

Batman

Post by Batman »

Hi, i have the 7.5Khz DD coil on my 705 and have found gold with it, it came up in all metal around number 10. You need to read the manual carefully and set your machine up right, this is not partic. hard to do. There are many videos on you tube showing you the process. I too have posted a thread on a typical set up to help others in the past giving them useful and helpful info, just check my posts. Hope you get sorted. ::g ;)

Beaurepair1971

Post by Beaurepair1971 »

Something is clearly amiss as the 705 is good on gold. I concur on the VID figures for 1/2 and full sovereigns discussed above. Rings vary from very low figures (6 -8) for high purity to quite high figures for 9ct.

I would check that the ground balance is running correctly and if you're manually ground balancing make sure that there's nothing at that spot in All Metal.

You should get clear signals on gold.
http://www.metal-detectorist.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

syzygy

Post by syzygy »

Fusion wrote:"Lolz" presumably because it's a 4-year thread bump. Mr. Fiddich has likely sorted out his X-Terra issue (and he's had several more machines since then).

Footnote: Lolz = Lols = "laughing out loud"s
I really should wear my glasses more rl;

Return to “Minelab X-TERRA Forum”