Hello and help with Minelab X Terra 705

Only for the discussion of the Minelab X-TERRA range of metal detectors within this forum.
Trumpetier

Hello and help with Minelab X Terra 705

Post by Trumpetier » Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:54 am

Hi guys just joined the forum. I had a metal detector as a kid, just a cheap one but I enjoyed using it. Fast forward 40 years and I acquired a Minelab exterra 705 a few months ago secondhand.

I believe this is a good quality detector, but in truth I'm having difficulty in setting it up and a bit confused with the terminology. I'm really tempted to sell it and get a simpler machine.

My main requirement is use on the beech, mainly the dry sand. Could someone please recommend a very simple to use and understand detector that would be suitable for this.

Dave

stjimmy1980

Re: Hello and help

Post by stjimmy1980 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:22 pm

Hi, I don't personally have a minelab but they are very good machines and the one you have will do the job you need. It's just a case of getting to know your machine, what the different tones mean etc. I would recommend looking on here at the section for your specific machine, there'll be loads of advice from people. Also have you checked on YouTube? I wouldn't give up on it but as with any new machine there is of course a learning curve. Good luck and happy hunting
Deus lite WS5
Garrett pin pointer
YT Ivys metal detecting UK

Blackadder43
Admin

Re: Hello and help with Minelab X Terra 705

Post by Blackadder43 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:25 pm

Hiya and welcome to the forum
I have moved your post to the X-Terra forum as i feel with a bit of help from the members then you might learn to love your machine
It is from a good camp and from i can gather a good machine
Good luck
When you are right no one remembers; when you are wrong no one forgets

Iced Tiger

Post by Iced Tiger » Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:20 pm

Hi Dave,

I was the same when I got my X-Terra 705, the manual can be a bit hard to understand in places.
Have a look at this guide
https://www.minelab.com/__files/f/25866 ... 20size.pdf.
It helped me with the settings, keep at it and you will get the hang of it. ::g
atb
Neil
Primary, Equinox 800 (still learning) ):=
Secondary, SWMBO with her Go-Find 60
Or should that be reversed. ;))
Thirdly, X-Terra 705

Batman

Post by Batman » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:36 am

Batman wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:14 pm
Hi mate, my set up goes as follows. Find a clear patch with no signals in all metal, set noise cancel then auto ground balance, threshold between 6 and 10, tones 3, sensitivity up as high as poss so it does not chatter. I then toggle between all metal and pattern 1. I dont bother with tracking ground balance just re do it every 15/20 mins or so. I find this works for me , hope this helps and GOOD LUCK.

Batman. ::g ;)
Hi T this was my advice given to a newbie on hear several years ago, he later said he had made a success of it so give it a go and good luck you have a brilliant machine. ::g

Trumpetier

Post by Trumpetier » Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:03 pm

Thanks for the responses chaps, much appreciated. I have however decided to put the Xterra in the sales section and buy a simpler machine. If it doesn't sell I will try your recommendations regarding set up ;)

Batman

Post by Batman » Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:05 pm

I wouldn’t sell it mate, it really is a simple machine to use, just read the manual then read it again, then get out in your back garden and experiment with it. It is a fantastic machine, go on you tube there is plenty of set up videos to watch, I wouldn’t get rid because you can’t crack it straight away, persevere and you will get your rewards, you will sort it out and you will find some good stuff with it so stick with it you won’t regret it and good luck ::g

jimmythefish

Post by jimmythefish » Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:46 pm

Hi Trumpetier, I am also new to the forum and relatively new to metal detecting. Saying that I have spent hundreds of hours on my Garrett ace 250 which is a great starter machine. If you are serious about detecting I would definitely stick with the minelab. Even the starter machines take a good while to learn to a good standard. It’s just a case of spending time in the field as they say. I myself am thinking of upgrading to the extera 705 and I’m sure I’ll take many many hours to master it. But if your really having difficulty learning it, the Garrett will find you some good stuff. I’ve found lots of coins oldest being William 3rd silver love token, and many copper coins and medieval artifacts . Hope this helps a wee bit. Just remember you have to be over it to find it.
Regards, jimmythefish

Jacza

Post by Jacza » Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:53 am

How much money do you want to spend? I would recommend an Equinox 600 or 800, very simple to use but also sophisticated machines, with them you have better chances finding fine jewelry because of higher frequencies.

Trumpetier

Post by Trumpetier » Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:13 pm

Probably about £250 ish, new or second hand. I have been recommended the Golden Mask 1+UK.

CFC

Post by CFC » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:14 pm

My 705 is a cracking machine. It took a while to get my head around it. The first 6 months was a real head banger. My best advice would be to get some objects, coins, rings, etc, go in to the garden or somewhere you can bury them, then set up in All Metal, about 25 sensitivity, 4 tones, volume about 25 to 30, set the thresh hold and ground balance and see what reading you get as you cover each item, log the numbers. Try the objects at different depths and angles, flat , on edge etc. Practice makes perfect.

Return to “Minelab X-TERRA Forum”