Not Jewellery, but..

Phil2401

Not Jewellery, but..

Post by Phil2401 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 5:56 pm

Hi

As a newbie keen to get out to do some serious digs but not having yet got any permissions or successfully joined a club, I put a post in a local community website (Streetlife) looking for local buddies.... no response so far to that, but I did get a plea from an elderly lady who couldn't find the in-ground metal tube thingy for her her rotary clothes line - hidden beneath the overgrown lawn - not quite what I was hoping for but hey - an excuse to play with my new machine, particularly since she lives just down the road. Needless to say, such a large chunk of metal (and incidentally a couple of old pennies) was found within a few minutes and it was worth the short trip to see the smile on her face - and the cup of tea and Christmas cake weren't bad either!

Phil

Quaerite et invenietis

XP Deus

fred

Re: Not Jewellery, but..

Post by fred » Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:28 pm

Well done. ::g
Equinox 800 x2

Fishwick

Post by Fishwick » Fri Dec 23, 2016 7:41 pm

Sounds like a good day out.
How's it go? - "one good turn"
Word of mouth has helped no end with some of my permissions.
I wish you well and hope to see some of your finds.

john Colin

Post by john Colin » Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:00 pm

Great deed and the very best of luck finding a permission.

Caretaker rob17

Post by Caretaker rob17 » Sat Dec 24, 2016 11:40 am

Good hearted thing to do shame the lady has not got any farmer friends and get some land to detect good effort and a credit mate

Martin B

Post by Martin B » Sat Dec 24, 2016 12:04 pm

Nicely done. I remember when I first started on my mums lawn - there must have been a dozen of those to dig out, rotted away over the years and replaced in another spot!

One of my permissions was secured on the basis that I will also help locate lost manholes etc

Remember, old ladies like to talk, especially about good work done by nice young men! ::g Always keep well in with the local old people - you will get a reputation as a helpful, thoughtful and reliable person, and that word could well get back, via friends and relatives, to those with the land!

Find time to help out with local charity events for the old folks etc, and it will bring you steadily onto the radar! Always much easier to talk to a landowner if they already vaguely know of you from such things!

Phil2401

Post by Phil2401 » Sat Dec 24, 2016 1:28 pm

Haven't been referred to as a 'nice young man' for a while - I'm flattered - not in the first flush of youth myself!
Martin B wrote:Nicely done. I remember when I first started on my mums lawn - there must have been a dozen of those to dig out, rotted away over the years and replaced in another spot!

One of my permissions was secured on the basis that I will also help locate lost manholes etc

Remember, old ladies like to talk, especially about good work done by nice young men! ::g Always keep well in with the local old people - you will get a reputation as a helpful, thoughtful and reliable person, and that word could well get back, via friends and relatives, to those with the land!

Find time to help out with local charity events for the old folks etc, and it will bring you steadily onto the radar! Always much easier to talk to a landowner if they already vaguely know of you from such things!
Quaerite et invenietis

XP Deus

liamnolan
Location: Hemswell, Lincolnshire. originally from Dublin, southern Ireland

Post by liamnolan » Mon Dec 26, 2016 8:24 pm

Well done Phil, as already said, chatting with people will open up new opportunities, especially older ones as they will know a LOT of people and some may have land or know someone who has. In fact if someone made some calculations on probabilities, its more likely than not, that elderly people do have some useful connections. That's the reason why I chat with doggy walkers!
Thanks for sharing, Liam OooO
Deus, WSi's - In the end we will regret the chances we didn't take, the relationships we were afraid to have and decisions we waited too long to make .. Spokesperson Irish Metal Detecting Society IMDS Vice President European Council for Metal Detecting

Return to “Success Stories”