Another 'Not really a success but'.......

Trotboy

Another 'Not really a success but'.......

Post by Trotboy » Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:53 pm

Another call today from a nice lady who knows someone in the local Archaeological group who had lost her car keys and would I mind lending her my detector to search her dung heap? Well, after diplomatically explaining it would be easier to come and do it myself dung heap or no, I agreed to pop up and see what I could do. I was a little concerned as to the dung heap 'It's a long story' she said....

Well, when I arrived I was heartily greeted and told the tale. The lady had left her large bunch of keys (She showed me her Husband's nearly identical set - three of four large car keys and a sizeable keyring with extra bits - hers had 'more metal on it') on the tailgate of her Range Rover whilst doing some mucking out, and the quite large foal who was meandering about at the time had 'done something to them'. She suspected at first that the horse had eaten them, because she had displayed signs of colic and the Vet had been called, who had given muscle relaxents and taken some inconclusive X-Rays. So now they wondered if the keys had ended up in the muck on the dung heap or been 'thrown' into the paddock.

I searched the dung-heap to no avail (Very civilised heap it was too, more straw than horse poo - nothing nasty) then tried a bit around the yard, which proved impossible due to quantity of metal. Then finally had a spin at the top of the paddock, only turning up a few nasty bits of metal which she was most pleased to see removed. We had hit a bit of a 'dead end'!

"I don't suppose you can detect the Horse?" she asked. At first I think from the look on my face she must have thought it was out of the question. But as I thought about it I reached the conclusion "Why not?" So she held the horse and gave her a few nuts whilst I gently moved the SEF coil about a centimetre off the horses abdomen on her flanks (I did this on full sensitivity but with the volume dropped so as not to freak out the horse, and I stood a safe distance away, to the side closer to the head than rear) the horse did move suspiciously closer to me on a few occasions and I had to back off, but I did get a belting 'deep' signal close to her rear on both sides!

"Well, I can't say for certain it's your keys. but I can say 100% that there is something sizeable and metal inside your horse. I can also confirm I won't be retrieving it for you, I'm afraid"

The lady was extremely relieved to at least have a confirmation of where the keys are, and I left her 'waiting' for them to 'reappear' - I can only hope the poor young foal can pass them without too much discomfort. I did get a bottle of wine for my troubles though I declined any cash payment, and I hope to hear the 'end' of the story soon! We do get asked the weirdest things!

Recent finds: Papal Bulla of Clement V, Mary Groat, James 1st Scottish 20p, Republican Silver Denarius 130BC, Trajan Silver Denarius, Edward VII Hammered Shilling.

lordofthecoils

Re: Another 'Not really a success but'.......

Post by lordofthecoils » Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:40 pm

great stury realy enjoyed that piece,and well done on taking a bullet[even though it was a bit smelly :)) ]for the detecting freternaty,full marks on a job well done. ....i noticed you never got out your pro pionter at the end :D ........ray ::g ::g ::g ::g ::g ::g ::g

Trotboy

Post by Trotboy » Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:13 pm

lordofthecoils wrote:i noticed you never got out your pro pionter at the end
:-) Ha! That never even occurred to me - trying to get my 'probe' anywhere near that! But it would've been so much worse because mine's a 'Vibraprobe' :-)))
Recent finds: Papal Bulla of Clement V, Mary Groat, James 1st Scottish 20p, Republican Silver Denarius 130BC, Trajan Silver Denarius, Edward VII Hammered Shilling.

lordofthecoils

Post by lordofthecoils » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:18 am

Trotboy wrote:
lordofthecoils wrote:i noticed you never got out your pro pionter at the end
:-) Ha! That never even occurred to me - trying to get my 'probe' anywhere near that! But it would've been so much worse because mine's a 'Vibraprobe' :-)))
=)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =))

Paddy_SP

Post by Paddy_SP » Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:48 am

Well done - I told my Good Lady that I was going over for a quick spin around the grounds of a large house yesterday. She wasn't desperately impressed when I came back about six hours later... Still - I found some Vicky coppers, a couple of Geo III pennies, and enough modern coinage to pay for my fuel, so it was a good day for me!

We must meet up again soon. Despite trying hard, I've still not had any luck in getting access to that big estate where there used to be a castle that I've mentioned a few times...:(

Peter Pearce

Post by Peter Pearce » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:10 pm

Hi trotboy that sure was a great read thanks for posting, that must be one of the most unusual stories ever posted . I think the forum could offer a prize at the end of the year for the most unusual and interesting post, I think you would be in the running? There must be a joke somewhere in this story but right now I can'nt think of one. Glad you had a good day assing around, that will do. Pete ::g ::g ::g

Return to “Success Stories”