Geophys overlay on google maps

Post your topics related to useful resources and research.
andy1973

Geophys overlay on google maps

Post by andy1973 »

Update to *Am I seeing things*.

As mentioned I found a report for my new permission, that has geophys maps included. For my records ive had a play with Google Earth and managed to over lay this on top.

The red and yellow marks are suggested that it could be archaeologic results.( the bold red line is a footpath) No digging has been done and this report was done over 6 years ago. It is suggested that it has features that suggest a romano-british ladder settlement. I love the research side of things when metal detecting, so this has been a big thing for me.

Now hopefully I will find some interesting bits there.... I do have a partifact found which does have some age, once I get it cleaned ill get a pic up for ID. I'm hoping it could be Roman lol but knowing my luck it wont be lol
Capture8.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Makro Kruzer 3 tone
M.A.D member
"I'm praying I find Roman before my wife... else i'll never live it down"
Gold posy ring.
oldest coin so far 1465..not even english lol
Still searching for Roman and Saxon.

Rayc

Re: Geophys overlay on google maps

Post by Rayc »

Indications of rectangular structures next to a trackway are always interesting. You could make some guesstimates of their dimensions and see whether they fit broadly with that type of settlement. A number of reports available on excavated 'ladder' settlements aka 'linear'. Might be worth fieldwalking cultivated fields looking for datable pottery.

JBM

Post by JBM »

Interesting post.

Detecting research is made so much easier for us these days

I used to spend hours in our City central library prior to going out on a dig.

Happy Hunting,

Jerry. ::g
Last edited by JBM on Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

andy1973

Post by andy1973 »

Rayc wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:42 am
Indications of rectangular structures next to a trackway are always interesting. You could make some guesstimates of their dimensions and see whether they fit broadly with that type of settlement. A number of reports available on excavated 'ladder' settlements aka 'linear'. Might be worth fieldwalking cultivated fields looking for datable pottery.
Google earth has a measurement feature so I could get a reasonably accurate measurement :) that's a brilliant idea thank you.
Makro Kruzer 3 tone
M.A.D member
Gold posy ring.

andy1973

Post by andy1973 »

After further research, this area has produced a couple of roman finds about four years ago.

Now all I have to do is wait for these storms to DO ONE so I can get out there. I'm praying that this field will yield me my first roman coin :)
Makro Kruzer 3 tone
M.A.D member
Gold posy ring.

Hofling

Post by Hofling »

andy1973 wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:53 am

As mentioned I found a report for my new permission, that has geophys maps included. For my records ive had a play with Google Earth and managed to over lay this on top.

The red and yellow marks are suggested that it could be archaeologic results.( the bold red line is a footpath) No digging has been done and this report was done over 6 years ago. It is suggested that it has features that suggest a romano-british ladder settlement. I love the research side of things when metal detecting, so this has been a big thing for me.

Now hopefully I will find some interesting bits there.... I do have a partifact found which does have some age, once I get it cleaned ill get a pic up for ID. I'm hoping it could be Roman lol but knowing my luck it wont be lol
Capture8.PNG
Very interesting!

where did you find this reports? On the internet or on a Library?

Thank you for the post.

Christian.

andy1973

Post by andy1973 »

Hofling wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:11 am
andy1973 wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:53 am

Capture8.PNG
Very interesting!

where did you find this reports? On the internet or on a Library?

Thank you for the post.

Christian.
A lot of digging through internet files to be honest, following link upon link through historic records, and talking to the farmer.
Makro Kruzer 3 tone
M.A.D member
Gold posy ring.

Return to “Research Section Forum”